David Price to face Raphael Butler

Loaded_Gloves

Price defends opponent

David Price believes Raphael Butler is a stronger opponent that his future rival John McDermott.

Price will step up in class as he faces the experienced Butler on April 27 in his hometown at Liverpool's Olympia.

The Olympic bronze medallist is then due to take on McDermott in a British title eliminator in June but Price thinks American Butler is better.

Price said: "I think this fella (Butler) is better than John McDermott from what I have seen.

"McDermott is a step up but if I get through this I could view that as an easier fight."

Price has faced criticism over previous opposition, something that promoter Frank Maloney has hit back at.

"I don't agree with the criticism of David's opponents," said Maloney.

"I am the one who picks his opponents. I am the one who has to guide his career and I agree the opponents with David's trainer Frannie Smith.

"He gets in there and fights them. He does what he has got to do."

The show will be live on Sky Sports on April 27 from 10pm.

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,12183_6883036,00.html

Provided he doesn't just fall as soon as a half decent shot lands, it will be progress for price. He needs to step up rather than just feeding off bums. There was a lot of "no one wants to fight him" going about, but come on, lots of journeymen will take a payday. He isn't THAT scary that people will fear for their lives.

Good level of opponent for Price at this point IMO. Britain has a lot of HW prospects right now and i'd like to see them all in against this level of opponent for a while longer rather than fight before they've even had 10 pro bouts each. They've pretty much all got time on their side so let them develop correctly then put them in with each other.