Chris John praises promising Daud

WelshDevilRob

The Jakarta Post, Jakarta

WBA featherweight defending champion Chris John praised on Sunday opponent Daud Yordan after the latter only lost on points in a 12-round bout.

Chris said Daud had made it hard for him to win the fight.

"He's still young and very talented," Chris said. "He has every chance to become the world champion."

Chris identified Daud's "deadly punch" as his main strength. "He caught me several times on the chin with it," he added.

The fight saw Daud taking initiative to attack from the outset, while Chris backed off, carefully picking his moments.

"This was part of the strategy", Chris said. "I had to keep a good distance from him."

Chris admitted he was wary of Daud's ability in short distance fight.

Daud, however, was not satisfied with his performance.

"I am not satisfied. This is so far from my expectations," he added.

The victory against Daud counts as Chris' 14th title defense win since being crowned WBA super world heavyweight champion in 2003.

Re: Chris John praises promising Daud

The Jakarta Post, Jakarta

WBA featherweight defending champion Chris John praised on Sunday opponent Daud Yordan after the latter only lost on points in a 12-round bout.

Chris said Daud had made it hard for him to win the fight.

"He's still young and very talented," Chris said. "He has every chance to become the world champion."

Chris identified Daud's "deadly punch" as his main strength. "He caught me several times on the chin with it," he added.

The fight saw Daud taking initiative to attack from the outset, while Chris backed off, carefully picking his moments.

"This was part of the strategy", Chris said. "I had to keep a good distance from him."

Chris admitted he was wary of Daud's ability in short distance fight.

Daud, however, was not satisfied with his performance.

"I am not satisfied. This is so far from my expectations," he added.

The victory against Daud counts as Chris' 14th title defense win since being crowned WBA super world heavyweight champion in 2003.

I'm sorry but that just made the piece for me!

John looked very very average during the fight, probably showing signs of facing a lot of soft touches and having fought only once in something like 17 months....

Yeah John deserved a close win, think I had 115-113 myself but couldn't argue with 116-112. I'd tipped Yordan to win but he just seemed to fall short and not do enough late on. He did lay down a blue print of sorts though, a lot of pressure seems to be the way to get to John and I'd really fancy Salido to do the job on him if they met. Gamboa would be too quick if they ever met as well.

John is an interesting case. He's made 13 title defenses (arguably 14 depending on how you count titles) since 2004 but he has only ventured beyond the land of the Kimodo Dragon a handful of times to defend, and with that, only twice to the US for his tiffs with Rocky Juarez.

It has been said that he got a gift over Juan Manuel Marquez in 2006 but of course such is source sensitive. He has looked at-times "ordinary" but seems good enough to pull the sock out of the hamper when it counts most. It will be very interesting to see if his range of gears is good enough to trouble Yuriorkis Gamboa or even Orlando Salido. Those would be fascinating match-ups, but even if there were to happen, would they happen beyond Indonesia or Japan?