Victor Ortiz should draw inspiration from Morales *Spoilers*

The_budweiser

Victor Ortiz has been talking tough lately. It is not a surprise for a boxer to talk tough before an upcoming fight of his. It is publicity for the fight ,it is also a psychological maneuver against the opponent he is facing. But for Victor Ortiz, his abrasive talk is more of a reaction to the image that the boxing world views him. The fighter who is 24 years of age is already at the crossroads of his career. He was a highly touted prospect back in 2009 when his coming out party was crashed by then unknown Argentinean Marco Antonio Maidana. It was not the loss that stuck out of the audience minds but the manner in which he lost it. It was a hard fight at first with both fighters kissing the canvass in the early rounds as a result of hard punches being exchanged by the two light welterweights. But Ortiz suffered a cut in the 5th round from a hard left from Maidana and things took a sudden turn to the worse for Ortiz. He got knocked down again in the following round and though he got up, he showed no intentions of fighting back. The fight was stopped after the ring physician decided that the cut was deep enough to cause Ortiz major problems. Ortiz though made the decision to quit before that. This was the first big test of his boxing career and it came on what was supposed to be his big spotlight moment and in front of the spotlights of HBO and the Staples Center he withered.

The prospect that was Victor Ortiz was exposed that night and the test was one that he did not passed. This was validated in the post fight interview where he declared to Max Kellerman that "I don't deserve this." This in reference to the punishment he was taking from Maidana and he followed it up with "I have a lot of thinking to do." These are words coming from a 22 year old who at that time seems to be contemplating retirement already after that loss. Words that Victor Ortiz wished he never said. For it brought backlash from all sides of the boxing world. Words that contributed to the image that Ortiz is viewed as now. An image he is trying to erase by him "talking tough "in the build up to what will be his most important fight after that loss to Maidana. His comments though are not directed mainly to his opponent Andre Berto but more so to the media, the critics and the people who sees him as vulnerable and yielding to the pressure that is brought on him in the ring. Ortiz after the loss with Maidana is labeled a quitter by most and in this sport of boxing, that is a sin.

Read More: http://ringnews24.com//index.php/blog/35-demo-content/17011-victor-ortiz-should-draw-inspiration-from-erik-morales-as-he-faces-andre-berto-.html#ixzz1JhpMCbKr

As well as a lack of heart, Ortiz has a problem with lack of fresh ideas when fighting in a bout. Watch the Peterson fight. Ortiz gets capitalised on when he didn't change his gameplan.

Ortiz is overrated, and if he doesn't get Berto out within 5 rounds then he gets tamed tonight. However, I wouldn't be surprised if he did KO Berto since the champ has a weak defense.

LOL@Joe. Ortiz beat Morales? He couldn't even beat Peterson and he didn't have the heart to see through Maidana, so how is he going to beat Morales?

mlol/

As well as a lack of heart, Ortiz has a problem with lack of fresh ideas when fighting in a bout. Watch the Peterson fight. Ortiz gets capitalised on when he didn't change his gameplan.

Ortiz is overrated, and if he doesn't get Berto out within 5 rounds then he gets tamed tonight. However, I wouldn't be surprised if he did KO Berto since the champ has a weak defense.

LOL@Joe. Ortiz beat Morales? He couldn't even beat Peterson and he didn't have the heart to see through Maidana, so how is he going to beat Morales?

mlol/

to be fair, the draw in ortiz-peterson was a joke

I think Berto stops Ortiz in the mid-late rounds. I think Ortiz could well be the "new Fernando Vargas" in that he's talented but will end up being fed to the sharks early on and go on to lose many of his bigger fights.

you know what, that's an excellent observation about ortiz and vargas. we'll know after tonight.

Actually, I did have Ortiz edging it, albeit, very slightly. But I don't think it was a joke of a decision. Peterson did well to claw his way back and nailed Ortiz with some good hooks.

Actually, I did have Ortiz edging it, albeit, very slightly. But I don't think it was a joke of a decision. Peterson did well to claw his way back and nailed Ortiz with some good hooks.

i had it something like 116-112 for ortiz i think