McCline sees a David Haye victory over Wladimir Klitschko

WelshDevilRob

McCline sees a David Haye victory over Wladimir Klitschko

By Mike Coppinger

Former heavyweight contender Jameel McCine, ringside to call Tomasz Adamek’s lopsided win over Kevin McBride last Saturday in Newark, knows a thing or two about Wladimir Klitschko.

McCline (39-10-3), now 40, retired following his knockout loss to Chris Arreola on HBO in late 2009, but fought a who’s who of heavyweights during his career. In July of ’02, the younger Klitschko brother defeated “Big Time” when the latter’s corner stopped the bout following the 10th round.

With perhaps the biggest bout of Klitschko’s career looming, against former undisputed cruiserweight champion David Haye, McCline shared his thoughts on the bout, slated to take place on either June 25 or July 2.

“Haye has to make Wladimir work,” said McCline. “A lot of guys don’t make Wladimir work because he’s so great at doing what he wants to do, when he wants to do it and how he wants to do it in that ring. But with Haye’s speed and power, he can make Klitschko follow him around the ring a little bit, make him expend himself a little bit."

“If you watch a lot of Klitschko’s latest fights, he does not expend much energy at all. What Haye needs to do is find a way to use his speed, power and confidence to make this man use some of his energy and see what happens in [the late rounds]."

McCline, who resides in West Palm Beach, Fla., witnessed Haye training at the legendary 5th Street Gym in Miami and says the Brit is already in tip top shape. He prognosticates the Brit to pull off the victory and claim the heavyweight championship this summer.

Mike Coppinger is a regular contributor to Ring Magazine in addition to freelancing for USA TODAY. He is a member of the BWAA, the Ring Ratings Advisory Panel and the Yahoo! Sports Boxing Panel. Write to him at [email protected] . Follow him on Twitter: @MikeCoppinger.

Source:

www.boxingscene.com

I'm enjoying this whole Haye/Klitschko drama play out. The black hat has switched sides a few times now. I cannot help but wonder if Wlad and David will meet but the notion that if it does happen ring rust might be a part of the equation given Wlad's time away from the ring (if and when, of course). Regardless, a shake-up is in order and the remote possibility exists that this time next year the biggest anticipated match-up at heavyweight may be between former cruiserweight titlists.

And the end of the day the key will be taking or forcing Wlad out of his comfort zone and landing something big.

I think Hayes movement is the key to this fight. Someone once posted that Haye can't deal with a jab. But I honestly don't remember him getting hit alot by jabs - his speed and reflexes neutralise a jab making it useless. Once Wlad can't land a jab and get into his usual pattern - what does he do? It will be interesting to see if he can adjust.

Once Wlad can't land a jab and get into his usual pattern - what does he do? It will be interesting to see if he can adjust.

If Haye's particularly unlucky, he goes back to the combination-punching aggressive fighter he used to be and sparks the Bermondsey man inside 5 rounds.

Similarly, if Haye can'tkep out the way of the jab, as so many seem to be unable to, what does he do then?

See what you're saying Rob but Wlad is pretty quick himself! I know Haye is a smart fighter and his sometimes lazy guard should be full on by his face at all times during this fight, even when he thinks he's out of Wlad's reach.

Very very intriguing though! Noticing a few folks talkin up Haye's chances a bit more now on a side note.

Noticing a few folks talkin up Haye's chances a bit more now on a side note

i wonder how many will be having a bet on him? haye is good but not good enough to topple vitali in my opinion, his record speaks for itself and only real loss to lewis and boy can vitali take a whack or two,lewis cut him up and landed some big shots, i dont think haye hits harder than lewis did,very very effective vitali is in what he does in the ring and cannot see haye causing any probs for the big man, i hope i am wrong, hit and hold or hit and move haye,s best bet for me and maybe points win at best but i,m sure vitali would have trained xtra hard for this fight just to KO haye for all the grief he has caused him

People saying about wlads jab but Haye wont be there taking it, I know people say Ruiz hit him with jabs but he is non stop pressure fighter, he was bound to land few jabs. Key thing is that Klitschko will be uncomfortable because the jab wont work consistently.

Haye is set to fight baby brother Wlad, not Vitali! cheers TonTB

had a few beers last night and must av missed something DOH!, he,s fighting one brother then the other one,cannot keep up with all the excitement mlol/ i can see him winning Wlad but not sure how he does it, i dont think it will be as easy as haye might think it will be

Londy-

No problem, if you came on here and posted after having a few Beers, that certainly wouldn't be anything unique with this Bunch mlol/

As for the fight, well, we've seen several opponents who've said their speed will create problems for one of the Klitschkos and then they kind of end up eating jabs and taking on a surprised "Deer in the Headlights" appearance when they can't dart in and out like they thought they could. I think David Haye is a cut above the likes of Chambers, Kevin Johnson, etc. that have promised to do that, but I also believe it's like Ton said, the K2's aren't as slow as these people think when they draw up their gameplans.