McEwan ready to take on Pirog, Alvarez

WelshDevilRob

Craig McEwan may be coming off the back of his first defeat but the Edinburgh middleweight is ready to jump back into the ring and mix with the world’s best including world champions Dmitry Pirog and Saul Alvarez.

McEwan, 28, was knocked out in the final round of his last contest by Andy Lee despite out-boxing the Irishman for much of the fight. However, his slick performance caught the attention of US television giants HBO who are keen to see the Scot fight again on their network, which could put the Hollywood-based fighter in line for some big-name fights.

McEwan, who is trained by Freddie Roach, was pleased with his performance against Lee and insists he would be confident if he gets a much sought-after shot at former sparring partner and reigning WBO middleweight champion Dmitry Pirog.

McEwan ready to take on Pirog, Alvarez

“The Andy Lee fight, I don’t box like that - going forward, pressuring - I don’t box like that so I was out my comfort zone right away. But it was working and I have shown that I can go forward if I have to and I’ve shown in the past I can box and move. Obviously I have to keep my hands up a little bit,” said McEwan whose record now stands at 19-1 (10 KOs).

“But we would just go into a game plan against Dmitry Pirog. As I say I have sparred with him before, I had a good look, he’s a strong, big puncher but they’re all tough at this level but I think I can cause him a few problems.”

McEwan intends to move down to light-middleweight if he fails to secure a fight with Pirog. A host of boxing superstars have found their way to the light-middleweight division including Miguel Cotto, Shane Mosley, Manny Pacquiao and Antonio Margarito, who McEwan sparred with for six weeks shortly after finding his feet at Roach’s Wildcard Gym.

While McEwan dismisses a fight with stablemate Pacquiao, he believes a showdown with Margarito would be exciting while also keeping a close eye on WBC champion Saul Alvarez and contender James Kirkland.

“Manny, he’s a stablemate, but fighting Manny Pacquiao is just not in my sights at all. But you never know funnier things have happened,” said McEwan.

“But Saul Alvarez, I would like that fight as well. There are loads, it’s wide open. James Kirkland has just been knocked out, I’ve sparred with him. That would be a great fight as well I think. So yeah, I’m open to it all.”

Source:

http://sport.stv.tv/