Marvin Hagler: Blasts Today's Fighters as Pretenders

WelshDevilRob

Marvin Hagler: Legendary Boxer Blasts Today's Fighters as Pretenders

There is an old saying, "A coward dies a thousand times but a soldier dies but once." The big fights the public wants simply aren't happening, getting Floyd Mayweather and Manny Pacquiao to fight, and David Haye to fight either of the Klitschko brothers, has become a parade of cowards proclaiming themselves all-time greats. It's a disgrace to the fans, the sport of boxing and legends who always fought the best like Marvelous Marvin Hagler.

"What's up with these guys?" asks the legendary Hagler. "Have they no pride? Today's fighters are not as hungry as they used to be. They don't seem to sacrifice as much as we did. Everybody is looking for that easy street and there ain't no easy street. When we fought, it was straightforward, you fought everybody, no ducking, no playing games. You fought the best, and it made you feel good.

"The only question that we had afterwards was: 'Who's next?' The trouble now is that too many fighters seem to want to get out of the game before they get hit too hard.

"You look at some of these guys and they've had only, what, 12 fights? And they are fighting for a title and if they lose that, they can go fight for another title. I call them pretenders, not contenders. They are an embarrassment to real champions like Ali, Frazier and the guys I fought."

Two decades ago Marvin Hagler, Tommy Hearns and Sugar Ray Leonard were boxing's holy trinity. Toss Roberto Duran into the mix and between them they fought each other nine times.

The brutal and bloody bout in Las Vegas between Hagler and Hearns on 15 April 1985 lasted a mere eight minutes but was known as the greatest three rounds in the history of boxing. It is said that the first blistering round was the fiercest ever seen.

Hagler says: "That fight may have been over a quarter of a century ago but people remember it as one of the all-time great fights. It was definitely the highlight of my career."

That was Hagler's 11th defence of the title he won from Britain's Alan Minter in 1980. Minter had made a pre-fight remark which would probably see him banned today. "There's no way I am going to lose my title to a black man," he vowed. An angry Hagler demolished him in three rounds, causing a riot outside the ring with bottles and glasses being thrown and Hagler being hustled to the Wembley dressing room by police.

He quit seven years later after controversially losing a split decision to Leonard. He remains bitter that Leonard refused a rematch. Nudging 57, he is only 10lb over the 10st 6lb middleweight limit. He grins: "I keep my weight down just in case Leonard ever decides to give me that return."

These days he lives in Milan after falling in love with the country and in particular with Italian lady Kay who was to become his second wife (he has five children from a previous marriage). He now works on behalf of the Laureus Sport for Good Foundation, "trying to give something back to sport which gave so much to me". He has also appeared in four movies.

"I've been retired 23 years but people still talk about my fights as if they were yesterday," he says. "Who knows anything about most of today's fighters? An old lady came up to me recently and asked: 'Is Mike Tyson still the heavyweight champion?' If I told her that David Haye or the Klitschkos were the champions, she'd have said: 'Who are they?'"

There is another old saying: You can fool all of the people some of the time and you can fool some of the people all of the time but you cant fool all of the people all of the time. While many of today's fighters pretend to be all-time greats; everyone is not fooled. Legends like Marvin Hagler, Bernard Hopkins, Lennox Lewis and James Toney have paid their dues and built a legacy the only way a true legacy can be built, the hard way. To the pretenders of today who avoid fighting the best and proclaim themselves to be great they are only fooling themselves. History has a way of revealing the truth and they will be remembered as the cowards and pretenders they are. Pretenders and cowards are never remembered; only true legends and true greatness stands the test of time.

Source:

http://boxinguncut.blogspot.com/

It seems all the things are in place for a unified organization to come in and start rebuilding the sport, but does the corruption have such a strong hold on boxing today that we'll never see it happen.

The ability to communicate effortlessly and over great distances has been instrumental in the demise of humans. Particularly the hard working ethic people needed to survive. Back bones gone. Soon we'll be the dinasours.

Until then, I'll keep watching the good fights and stop paying attention to the posturing and reporting on here say.

Nothing today compares to all the stories I see and the action that surrounded the fighters of old.

Time for a section or thread dedicated to the remembrance and preservation of the Boxing in its glory years!

Great to see a boxer from the past giving back and doing well emotionally, financially, mentally and physically.

Hagler has a point. Surely a lot of us must have compared today's current crop of fighters to the old school and has seen how embarrassing it is?

But there are a few who do want to fight the best ie Froch, Glen Johnson, Pacquiao, Khan, Bradley, Alexander, and some others.

When I read the title I was going to come in here and post about how Im sick of people talking about how good it was 'in there day', but after reading it he's actually spot on!

I can relate, Bricktop. When I was younger and Marvin and Co. were in their prime, I vowed that I'd never be one of the old farts that talked of the past and yes, even in that time period, there were those who downplayed it and talked about how MMH, SRL,Hearns, etc. wouldn't have faired well in the fifties versus Robinson,LaMotta, Fullmer, etc. So fast forward 25-30 years and I'm looking at a article with this title and prepared to go on the Defense for todays fighters, but in fact it's become such a Prima Facia Case that it's really hard to take a stand.

Hagler has a point. Surely a lot of us must have compared today's current crop of fighters to the old school and has seen how embarrassing it is?

But there are a few who do want to fight the best ie Froch, Glen Johnson, Pacquiao, Khan, Bradley, Alexander, and some others.

Can Pacquiao really be included in that? He's fighting carefully selected opponents imo. We hear he's crying for Mayweather but how much he wants him we really dont know

Can Pacquiao really be included in that? He's fighting carefully selected opponents imo. We hear he's crying for Mayweather but how much he wants him we really dont know

I think he can. It's admirable that a boxer, who really is a Welterweight, could fight a man who really is a natural light-middleweight (Margarito).

We all wanted to see him in with Cotto and we all wanted to see him in with Clottey until Mayweather secured the Mosley bout and then the fans turned against the Clottey fight.

We all wanted to see the Hatton fight, too. Hatton was "the man" at 140, regardless whether he was KO'd early.

And let's not forget Pac's career below Welter.

Did anyone really want to see him fight Clottey? Pacs career has been wonderfully managed ever since the last fight with JMM. The diaz fight was an easy win, Oscar - fair enough, Hatton god bless him was made for Pac, Cotto was at a catchweight when he was already struggling to make 147, Clottey was basicly a vending machine and Marg was an easy nights work as he has 0 power and throws far 2 many wide punches for Pac to get caught with.

Haggler is always spot on when he talks about Boxing in this day and age.

Did anyone really want to see him fight Clottey? Pacs career has been wonderfully managed ever since the last fight with JMM. The diaz fight was an easy win, Oscar - fair enough, Hatton god bless him was made for Pac, Cotto was at a catchweight when he was already struggling to make 147, Clottey was basicly a vending machine and Marg was an easy nights work as he has 0 power and throws far 2 many wide punches for Pac to get caught with.

Haggler is always spot on when he talks about Boxing in this day and age.

Speaking for people on forums, I remember how much praise Pac got for it because Clottey was coming off from a controversial and entertaining fight with Cotto. Mayweather organised his match with Mosley and then the fans turned against it.