Froch has his say on Groves-DeGale

RAZZ-MCFC

Having sparred with, and supposedly put down, St. George, Froch has the inside track on what could possibly unfold on May 21. And with four British title defences himself, he knows a thing or two about winning a domestic title fight.

Carl, tell us about this sparring session where you’re supposed to have knocked out George Groves…I heard DeGale’s comments earlier this week that I told him that I knocked out George Groves in sparring. That’s rubbish; I don’t talk about sparring cos its just sparring. Yes I put Groves over, he’ll tell you that, and it was in Sheffield with the GB squad so a lot of them watched me do it and have probably talked about it I guess.

So would you agree with DeGale’s assessment of Groves’ chin?It’s sparring at the end of the day. And I didn’t knock him out, if I knock somebody out that means they’re out cold and don’t carry on fighting. I put him over in about round two or three of our spar and he got up and carried on for another couple of rounds, he was alright. I’ve already said DeGale is kidding himself if he thinks this fight is a formality.

What do you make of either fighter?DeGale is a good fighter, you’ve got to give him his credit; Olympic gold medals don’t come easy. And so far in the pro game he’s showed he knows what he’s doing in the ring. Groves is a tough kid and has a lot heart; he came back from the brink of defeat against Kenny Anderson.

How are you calling the fight?For me it’s a lot closer than everybody seems to think. People say DeGale hasn’t been tested yet but that’s because he’s outboxed everyone he’s gone in the ring with. But don’t write off Groves, he’s got the perfect sparring partner in Andre Dirrell, he’s fast, hard to hit and comes back with good shots. It’s great preparation for someone like DeGale.

http://www.boxingfutures.com/feature/0410-froch-has-his-say-degale-vs-groves

• 4 weeks later...
Yes Rob, a definite fence sitter! Seems most people are going with DeGale saying he's too classy for Groves? I was very impressed with DeGale against Paul Smith - thought that was going to be a real tough fight but he made it look painfully easy. Getting Andre Dirrell in to spar Groves in a stroke of genius, he won't get better preparation than that to face someone with fast hands - so will not have any training excuses if he loses. Personally, I would love to see Groves win but think DeGale might just be a bit too good for him at this stage. Great hype surrounding this fight though - looking forward to it!

If the fight is half as good as the hype, then it will be a cracker. Like Froch, I think it's going to be close, but I see the pressure being on DeGale. If things don't go well for him in the first three or so rounds, I can see Groves taking it.