Video: James Kirkland vs Nobuhiro Ishida

WelshDevilRob

Bad matchmaking. This jap guy isnt a soft touchthat kirkland could run over, he was decent, Kirkland needs proper conditioning and needed 8 week camp for a guy like this.

or was it shown that Kirkland has a bad chin, he has been in a few wars and was never as bad as last night against a average puncher.

I've never really liked Kirkland, so I'm not overly bothered about seeing him losing, but there's no doubting that was a big shock to many people.

Especially when a guy with just 7 KO's on his record had him down 3 times in a little over 90 seconds!

He clearly wasn't hurt though and imo could have fought on, so I don't know whether Cortez was right to hold him down when he was going to get straight back up on his feet after the 3rd KD.

He may have prevented him from further embarrassment/damage, but could Kirkland have turned it around?

We'll never know now...

Bad matchmaking. This jap guy isnt a soft touchthat kirkland could run over, he was decent, Kirkland needs proper conditioning and needed 8 week camp for a guy like this.

or was it shown that Kirkland has a bad chin, he has been in a few wars and was never as bad as last night against a average puncher.

I think you are spot on with the first bit. Ishida waa horribly under-rated and after the Berrio fight it was the completely wrong type of fight for Kirkland. James probably needed an Ishe Smith type of opponent not a former world champion.

I saw this and was reminded of what you said about Kirkland in the recent fights thread a couple of weeks ago,Rob.

Golden boy probably took one look at this guys resume,saw that he was an ex world title holder,had a low ko ratio and thought it was an easy match.

I saw this and was reminded of what you said about Kirkland in the recent fights thread a couple of weeks ago,Rob.

Golden boy probably took one look at this guys resume,saw that he was an ex world title holder,had a low ko ratio and thought it was an easy match.

Golden Boy's match makers need to wake up. They hadn't looked at Pirog's record before he faced Jacob's (if they had they'd have known that was going to be a very difficult fight), and it's doubtful they knew much about Ishida. Aside from his losses in Japan early in his career he's only lost once in recent times (since 2004) and that was a controversial decision to Alvarez, they could have asked Saul's brother how good, difficult and tricky he his.

GBP need to step fighters up properly! In Kirkland's case things were a little special due to the prison stuff, what they should have done is actually given him more gym time. Let him get himself into shape, heck if he needs fights get him really hard sparring, let him get used to being hit again. It's been obvious for a long time that his defense is poor so get that sorted, especially after the Berrio mess. The failure to work on his flaws was always going to cost him, especially if he was facing naturally bigger men.

Lessons NEED to be learned, both by GBP and Kirkland, if he fails to accept the loss then his career might as well be over.

Golden Boy's match makers need to wake up. They hadn't looked at Pirog's record before he faced Jacob's (if they had they'd have known that was going to be a very difficult fight), and it's doubtful they knew much about Ishida. Aside from his losses in Japan early in his career he's only lost once in recent times (since 2004) and that was a controversial decision to Alvarez, they could have asked Saul's brother how good, difficult and tricky he his.

GBP need to step fighters up properly! In Kirkland's case things were a little special due to the prison stuff, what they should have done is actually given him more gym time. Let him get himself into shape, heck if he needs fights get him really hard sparring, let him get used to being hit again. It's been obvious for a long time that his defense is poor so get that sorted, especially after the Berrio mess. The failure to work on his flaws was always going to cost him, especially if he was facing naturally bigger men.

Lessons NEED to be learned, both by GBP and Kirkland, if he fails to accept the loss then his career might as well be over.

i agree with you but im also glad they arent going top rank with things, its nice to have undefeated up & coming fighters in tough.

http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/box...dan&id=6319535

From ESPN:

"I'm good. I don't know why they stopped it," Kirkland said. "There isn't a three-knockdown rule in Vegas. I'm really upset right now. That was a messed up call. I was telling [Cortez] I want to fight. [ishida] wasn't anything. He didn't have any power. This is all messed up.

The first punch that had Kirkland over baffled me as it was only a short punch. Has his punch resistance got that bad since incarceration? Anyway, he was an accident waiting to happen. He had no defense and was ripe for straight punches.

Manny Steward should train him to use the jab. With James's frame, he could be a good power puncher/boxer.

Don-

That's EXACTLY what they saw, a former title holder (although not a distinguished reign) that would look decent on the resume and advance Kirkland's cause. GBP needs to sharpen up it's info pipeline.