Maidana vs Morales SPOILERS

Joe Ko

OMG what a fight, I was not expecting that at all.

I thought it was a draw.

I wanna see a rematch, credit to Morales he really still has fight left in him. As for Maidana he didnt look 100% but rematch would be really interesting because Morales eye as swollen for 12 rounds.

I genuinely thought Morales may win, and went for him in the PL.

Maidana is a crude slugger in reality, and if a shell of a Morales fighting way above his best weight class can cause him problems like these, then it says more about Maidana's level than Morales'.

Maidana can punch hard, but he's not a great fighter apart from that.

Just finished watching it, ended up scoring it 7 rounds to 5 for Maidana, but I would be happy to see a rematch between these guys!

Not sure if Morales has another fight like this in him...

I think he has, he had that swollen eye for 11 rounds, honestly never seen Morales fight just highlights, it was quite cool to see him perform slightly like his old self. Well done Morales.

Just finished watching it, ended up scoring it 7 rounds to 5 for Maidana, but I would be happy to see a rematch between these guys!

I think he has, he had that swollen eye for 11 rounds, honestly never seen Morales fight just highlights, it was quite cool to see him perform slightly like his old self. Well done Morales.

Yeah, there's no denying it was a great performance with a lot of heart, but Morales has been in a few of these through the years.

I fancied him to outbox Maidana in this fight, so it was a surprise seeing him opt to stand and trade.

Imo it will have taken a lot out of him though, and I wouldn't expect the same again if they did rematch.

You are missing an all-time great.

Don't even bother with the Barrera trilogy yet, or the Pacquiao fights, just get something like his fight with Zaragoza or Wayne McCullough - he could box, his trademarks were a little on display last night to a lesser degreee - he used to lie on the ropes and wheel off throwing 7 or 8-punch combinations, and he could be boxing quietly behind the jab but as soon as he got clipped with a couple of shots he'd snap and turn into Scarface "YOU WANNA PLAY? LET'S PLAY!"

I favour the latter, though Morales has obviously rejuvenated a little. It seems to be the case these days that if you take things easy or take some time out at a relatively young age, your body can recover a little. Roy Jones, Mosley...err..others. Plus, Morales has regained a little of his hunger and reverted back to his old training methods and put some serious graft in, which I think he was starting to slacken on toward the end of his career.

Maybe he just needed a rest and a move up ion weight? This is a man who looked utterly done even before fighting Pacquiao, went through those wars and then still had enough to come near Diaz's lightweight title.

personally thought it was a bit of a robbery but maybe being a bit biased as i wanted Morales to win and was praying deep down he could cause an upset, thought he boxed fantastically and if this fight was 5 years ago, i'm unsure if Maidana would of made the final bell

for me this is fight of the year up to now and for what it looked like as a fight on paper, it completely blew people's expectations out of the water, definitely a war!

i didn't score it as i was too into the fight but i would of said a draw was a fair result but i had Morales winning, i thought as per usual the judges scored the fight to the aggressor and volume rather than clean and accurate punches which was what Morales did

robbery? i would definitely say so, a draw wouldn't have been but the loss definitely was

as for Morales as a fighter, well what else is there left to say, the guy proved what a warrior he is and how good a boxer he is, there's no doubt he'll waltz straight into the HOF

ive been trying to figure out if this fight showed us that morales has more left than we thought or if maidana has less than we thought

honestly i don't really think it's either

Morales won't get any worse, he'll always be able to box and his chin will always be there, it's just his health he'll keep damaging so i'd be happy if he retired, but can't see that happening

Maidana is good at what he does, he turns fights into a war and normally equals his opponent or betters them, the only reason he looked shite last night was because his come forward slugger style is suited to a boxer like Morales

if it was somebody with speed and angles like Khan or Pacquiao, Morales definitely wouldn't be able to keep up like last night

robbery? i would definitely say so, a draw wouldn't have been but the loss definitely was

If a draw wouldn't hjave been a robbery, how can two points either way be definitely a robbery? I thought Morales won and my initial reaction to the scorecards was "116-112 sounds bloody wide",,then Scott pointed out that's only two rounds, so I shut up mlol/

If a draw wouldn't hjave been a robbery, how can two points either way be definitely a robbery? I thought Morales won and my initial reaction to the scorecards was "116-112 sounds bloody wide",,then Scott pointed out that's only two rounds, so I shut up mlol/

Only two rounds definitively won, but that is more than two steps away because they could be legitimately drawn rounds also...

Think it says more about Maidana's limitations than it does Morales at this point.Morales surprising almost all of us doesn't convince me that he can still compete against someone like Marquez.

Maidana is a weird fighter though.He looks strong against younger good opponents like Ortiz,Cayo,Kotelnik and Khan,then he looks awful against shot Corley and now wins on a close decision against Morales.

Think it says more about Maidana's limitations than it does Morales at this point.Morales surprising almost all of us doesn't convince me that he can still compete against someone like Marquez.

Maidana is a weird fighter though.He looks strong against younger good opponents like Ortiz,Cayo,Kotelnik and Khan,then he looks awful against shot Corley and now wins on a close decision against Morales.

I'm on the Maidana band wagon and have been since the Kotelnik fight, though he wasn't impressive at all against Cayo. A shot after the bell by Maidana turned that fight on it's head.

I thought Kotelnik outboxed Maidana, but I have noticed a lot of people saying that Maidana should have won.

Ortiz was a life and death fight and so was the Khan one. It's all down to styles. Keep him away from pure boxer styles and he'll be okay-ish.

He's not that good, anyway. He smothers his work when he has his opponents on the ropes and just throws leather, not caring what lands.

I'll have to watch it again but after the first 4 rounds, he didn't land that many clean shots from what I recall. Not that he had the chance to considering Morales outboxed him from a distance.