Top Ten Brawlers and or Sluggers in Boxing History

edsel77x

Re: Top Ten Brawlers and or Sluggers in Boxing History

I'll only mention those I've seen. Even then I'll miss a few.

1. David Tua

2. Bert Cooper

3. Wilfredo Gomez

4. Tyson5. Tony Ayala

What?

I'm no Tyson fan but the guy was far from a slugger or a brawler. He picked his punches, and threw good combinations.

His problem was he couldn't brawl or slug it out with other fighters, which is why he lost when the going got tough.

You'll notice he never turned a fight around that he was losing, IMO thats because there was no plan B, like slugging it out or brawling and hopefully discourage the other guy.

Re: Top Ten Brawlers and or Sluggers in Boxing History

I'll only mention those I've seen. Even then I'll miss a few.

1. David Tua

2. Bert Cooper

3. Wilfredo Gomez

4. Tyson5. Tony Ayala

What?

I'm no Tyson fan but the guy was far from a slugger or a brawler. He picked his punches, and threw good combinations.

His problem was he couldn't brawl or slug it out with other fighters, which is why he lost when the going got tough.

You'll notice he never turned a fight around that he was losing, IMO thats because there was no plan B, like slugging it out or brawling and hopefully discourage the other guy.

I Knew he could throw combo's at lightning speed for a Heavy but I thought he was more a brawler?

I might be wrong? He sure was built like one.

You ought to watch Fullmer - he was Ray Robinson's worst nightmare.

Gav-

I remember that Robinson mentioned in his autobiography that he was really taken aback by Fullmers style because going into the fight all he knew about him was that Fullmer was a Mormon from Utah and assumed a more passive approach.

Heres one of his fights

<object width="640" height="467"><param name="movie" value="http://www.megavideo.com/v/YFQ89JH87875b3d00bf31a8cebb4d38f6e73fdf4"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.megavideo.com/v/YFQ89JH87875b3d00bf31a8cebb4d38f6e73fdf4" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="467"></embed></object>

• 2 weeks later...
Not sure about a top ten but here are a few i can think of:

Dempsey

Marciano

Morales

Barrera

Basilio

Graziano

LaMotta

Zale

Ward

Benn

Duran and Tapia could brawl although they were also very skillful.

I bought the boxing register and just about every time I start in on a new fighter Zale's name would come up. He fought a lot of the HOFers.