Lemieux v Rubio (SPOILERS)

Rubio TKO7 Lemieux!

woke up this morning and saw a friend from America had something about Rubio winning by TKO in the 7th

i knew Lemieux was fighting him but presumed i was just seeing things because i was half asleep until i Boxrec'd it, massive shock this!

i thought this was the fight where Lemieux was going to step up and really show his class, but maybe he's been exposed slighty now, not as good as all the hype around him suggests?

Pavlik battered Rubio into submission

I always said I couldn't see the fuss about Lemieux, that he looked another Pavlik and needed to start fighting some guys he couldn't just knock over but that couldn't hurt him. On the other hand, even I didn't think he was going to lose to Rubio.

Rubio upsets Lemieux

By Dave Spencer at ringside

A shocker at the Bell Centre in Montreal as previously undefeated knockout artist David Lemieux fell to the more experienced Marco Antonio Rubio (50-5-1, 43 KO) at 2:36 of 7th round. Lemieux looked as if he may have suffered a broken jaw at the heavy hands of Rubio who had the 22-year-old youngster down into the corner for an eight count and looked to be on his way to finishing things before Lemieux’s corner stepped up and stopped the fight.

The Montreal fighter was devastating in his attack in the early going, unleashing bombs throughout the early going but was doing so at an incredible pace. So in control was Lemieux, or so he thought, that he mugged for the cameras in the 5th round by sticking out his tongue during one of his full frontal assaults in the early going. Things began to change in the next round though with Rubio rocking the local fighter with a right hand and continuing to following up and landing more before the round ended.

Lemieux seemed content to work behind a powerful jab in the 7th and used good movement before Rubio caught up with him and sent him slumping down in the corner.

Rubio wins the WBC eliminator and is mandated to fight the winner of Zbik-Chavez Jr.

Former 2008 Olympian Elieder “Storm” Alvarez (4-0 3KO) showed no ill effects of over a year layoff and adding 15 pounds to a solid frame by crushing Ernesto Zamora (18-22-1 12KO) a total of three times into the canvas and scoring a TKO victory at 1:38 of the third round. The Columbian who was having visa problems after an impressive pro debut didn’t miss a beat showing great footwork, a telephone jab and a vicious uppercut in the first two round before unleashing the toolbox and ending things convincingly in the third.

Adonis “Superman” Stevenson (14-1 11KO) destroyed Derek Edwards (25-2 13KO), knocking out the North Carolina fighter at 1:48 of the third round who looked like a deer in the headlights before being crushed by devastating left hand that ended things instantly. It was the first fight in a year for Stevenson who shockingly lost to Darnell Boone in attempt to go south of the Canadian border in his pugilistic pursuits. Edwards who came in with respectable record and never had been stopped simply had no answer for the powerful southpaw and was knocked and in the second before being saved by the bell. “I’m back!” announced Stevenson to the enthusiastic Bell Centre crowd who were on their feet applauding the knockout. The Montreal fighter captures the vacant NABA super-middleweight championship with the impressive victory.

In an often foul filled and ugly contest, undefeated NABA super-featherweight champion Arash Usmanee (12-0 6KO) pounded out a convincing 80-71, 79-72, 79-72 victory over a game 40-year-old Aldo Valtierra (25-14 13KO). No knockdowns but Valtierra did have to find his way up from the canvas a total of three times and was penalized a point in the 6th round for hitting behind the head; something both fighters took turns doing in a foul filled 30 second exchange in the 4th round. Valtierra would have his moments including a good fifth round in which he was the aggressor and an occasional good counter right hand like the one he ended the 7th round with. But Usmanee was up to the task and was willing to give back as good as he got and controlled the action for the majority of the contest.

Oscar Rivas (5-0 2KO) worked Wilfrido Leal (7-5-2 6KO) up and down for six rounds before stopping the Mexican heavyweight with an uppercut to end things at 1:13 of the sixth and final round. Leal who despite coming in with an ample midsection showed he could fight a little bit along the way but was clearly no match for the crisp punching power of his Columbian born opponent who is now fighting out of Montreal. Rivas had a beleaguered Leal down moments before the final blow with a well-placed three punch combination that brought the fighter down to his knees for the first time on the evening.

Junior-middleweight Ahmad Cheikho (6-2-2 5KO) made it four in row with a second round knockout of Attila Molnar (20-19-6 10KO) of Hungary. Going past the first round for the first time in over four-and-a half years, Cheikho was content to take his time but simply couldn’t miss his statutory European target, switching back and forth between orthodox for as long as it lasted. Three successive left hands brought Molnar to the canvas and while he managed to climb to feet and was allowed to continue, the bout was quickly called at the 3:00 mark of the second round with Cheikho continuing to fire and Molnar doing little in return.

Heavyweight Didier Bence made his pro debut a short one, stopping the rather large 288 pound Leonard Collier at 1:49 of the first round. Bence landed a left-right combination that had the now 1-7 fighter stumbling down forward onto his knees. It was mysteriously ruled a slip but Collier had seen enough and was looking for soft spot to lie down and call it a night. He would find one moments later and after getting up at the count of eight, clearly showed no desire to go on.

Source:

www.fightnews.com

Stunner!!! Everything was going Lemieux's way and then the wheels came off. Our sport is the only one that can end at anytime and with either guy winning, and it doesn't matter what the score is at the time when it ends. It's what I love most about. Back to the drawing board for David Lemieux and the MW picture is robbed of one of it's brightest young hopes.....at least temporarily.