Is John Murray good enough to win a world title?

boxinglover

I have to say that im not sure.When I look at the current lightweight world champions in marquez,soto,vasquez and rios i have to be honest and say i think they would all beat john.I enjoy watching John as a fighter as he's exciting to watch but the lightweight division is strong at the minute so I dunno!Thoughts guys?

No. He's unlucky in the fact that the division is SO strong. Even below the champions you still have guys like Acosta, DeMarco, Antillon, Katsidis, Guerrero, Linares.

Lots of good fights out there if Murray wants to chase them whilst waiting for Soto to go to LWW and JMM to retire, guys like Zappavigna, Molina and Mitchell would all be very fun fights to watch.

No. He's unlucky in the fact that the division is SO strong. Even below the champions you still have guys like Acosta, DeMarco, Antillon, Katsidis, Guerrero, Linares.

Lots of good fights out there if Murray wants to chase them whilst waiting for Soto to go to LWW and JMM to retire, guys like Zappavigna, Molina and Mitchell would all be very fun fights to watch.

Yeah i think Mitchell would be the right fight for now to gauge if murray can step up to that level.

It'll take creative matchmaking from Warren to get him a belt.

Good fighter but his pressure style is unlikely to work against the best the division has to offer.

Yeah thats my opinion aswell.I mean Rios is a pressure fighter like Murray but he has more pop i think which is needed at the highest level if you're that style of fighter i think.

I agree with Scott and Robs' comments above.

Murray isn't good enough to beat the best at 135lbs and that is of no insult to the guy's skill. It is a compliment to the best at 135lbs who are some of the best boxers in the World right now. There are plenty of bouts out there for him though and a win in any of them would go a long way to providing him with success.

However, Rob is right that Warren could very well get him an alphabet title in perhaps "shady" circumstances.

Examples: Saul Alvarez is the champion at 154lbs would you believe. Also, more surprisingly, Sebastian Zbik (soon to be Chavez Jr) is the WBC champion at 160lbs. I thought it was Sergio Martinez, but apparently not.

It'll take creative matchmaking from Warren to get him a belt.

Good fighter but his pressure style is unlikely to work against the best the division has to offer.

This.

He is unfortunately stuck between two of the realy hot divisions in Boxing right now.