Hatton titleshot being lined up

WelshDevilRob

Souleymane M’baye shot being lined up for Matthew Hatton

By Mark Vester

According to the Machester Evening News, a welterweight bout is being lined up between WBA-interim welterweight champion Souleymane M’baye (39-3, 21KOs), and the recenly defeated Matthew Hatton (41-5, 16KOs). Matthew's older brother, Ricky Hatton, is trying to pressure Golden Boy Promotions into finalizing the fight for his brother. Ricky feels it's a just reward after Matthew gave up a lot of weight and size to challenge WBC Saul Alvarez in March. If Hatton gets past M’baye, he would face full champion Viacheslav Senchenko before the end of the year.

Hatton's trainer Bob Shannon said: “We’re waiting for a phone call. I think he would win a world title at welterweight. He has come out of his last fight really well. He was giving so much weight away but he’s getting better all the time. We went there to win and didn’t give up hope all the way through. He stood his ground even though he was well behind. The kid was just too strong. But people realize Matthew has improved so much. How he took those shots I don’t know. He is definitely going to be fighting for the world title this year. Golden Boy want him back over there.”

Hatton would beat M'Baye imo, and I thought he was already almost guaranteed a shot at Senchenko before that though?

Have no idea how good Senchenko is because he keeps fighting dross.

Hatton wouldn't be much better mind, but I'd give him a chance of pulling off the win, a lot moreso than he had against Alvarez anyway...

I can see why Kell Brook is looking for a new promoter. Hatton has half the talent but is getting alot of opportunities.

Absolutely. Warren is good for the first half of a boxer's career: Getting him out there, getting decent fights etc. Then he has no idea about the second half of the guy's career. He's a joke. I'm glad Brook has left him.

Hope it comes off for him it would be good to see him hold a version of the world title. I wonder if he was successful whether Amir Khan would be tempted to move-up a weight and make a challenge?

It would make me sick if he won a world title, I wouldn't mind so much of he came out and said how lucky he was to be Ricky Hattons brother bit the fact he arrogantly claims all these opportunitys are based on his talent winds me up big time. He didn't deserve a shot at a the European crown when he got it let alone a world title. Craig Watson must be reeling sat watching his promoter jump through hoops to give Matthew a world title when it wasn't that long ago Watson gave him a boxing lesson