Macklin now in line to face Sturm!

...So instead of Gevor and Macklin fighting off in an eliminator, Gevor is now taking on Stieglitz for the WBO title, and Macklin will face Sturm for the WBA title....a good move all round in the end, which is a rarity when fights fall through!

Looks like WBA middleweight champion Felix Sturm (35-2-1, 15 KOs) will defend his belt against Matthew Macklin (28-2, 19 KOs) on either June 25 or July 2 at the Lanxess Arena in Cologne, Germany. Macklin pulled out of a WBA eliminator against Khoren Gevor on April 16 because of a contractual dispute. Looks to be a good move as he will now go directly to the title shot.

It's typical of Sturm to cherrypick someone like Macklin though...

Does anyone think Matty has a chance?

I'm not convinced that Sturm is the same fighter he was a few years back, and has been pretty lacklustre in his last few fights.

I don't know if Macklin will be the guy to dethrone him though - he'll have to play out the fight of his life still imo.

Has Gevor got the better end of the bargain in Stieglitz?

Thoughts?

I think Macklin deserves the title shot but i can't see him winning against Sturm. I think he'll put up a fight but will lose by a wide UD. Hopefully he bounces back though and fights Barker later this year or next year. A win over Barker could put him right back into contention for another title shot.