Fury lands Rahman showdown

Loaded_Gloves

Fury lands Rahman showdown

Tyson Fury is facing the toughest test of his career after being pitted against former world champion Hasim Rahman.

The 22-year-old heavyweight had been hoping to face Dereck Chisora for the British belt, but he has now agreed to fight Rahman on the undercard of the Amir Khan-Paul McCloskey clash on 16 April, live on Sky Box Office HD.

Rahman is best known for his dramatic upset win over Lennox Lewis back in 2001 when he dethroned the British champion with a huge right hand in the fifth round of their title fight in South Africa.

The American would later reclaim the WBC belt in 2005, but his most recent step up to world title level ended in failure when he was halted by Wladimir Klitschko in 2008.

Rahman has since racked up four wins by knockout and he has only lost to world class opponents during a career which has spanned 59 fights.

Lewis crushed 'The Rock' in a rematch and the 38-year-old was also beaten by world champions John Ruiz and Oleg Maskaev, while David Tua is the only man to have beaten him who did not claim a top title.

Fury is yet to suffer defeat in his fledgling career and will be keen to send out a message to his rivals with a dominant win over the big-hitting Baltimore man.

Respected trainer Emanuel Steward has worked with Fury this year and he impressed while halting Brazilian Marcelo Luiz Nascimento in his most recent outing.

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,12183_6852845,00.html

An decent name for Fury to have on his record if successful. I wonder what the reason for him going for Rahman over Chisora was?

As far as I know, this shouldn't interfere with the Chisora fight. And he probably couldn't get Chisora as early as April.

The British Boxing board have today announced that British Heavyweight mandatory challenger Tyson Fury will finally get his chance to come face to face in the ring with current champion Dereck Chisora for the prestigious title.

The Stewards have decided to put the contest out for purse bids, which are to be submitted to the British Boxing Board’s Head Office by 12noon on Wednesday, 13th of April 2011, the contest has to take place by the end of July 2011.

http://www.boxingscene.com/tyson-fury-dereck-chisora-purse-bids-set-april-13--36825

The Khan show is on April 16. So in theory, there is plenty of time to do both fights.

Personally, I think they've both done pretty well.

Chisora has gained a lot of exposure just for SIGNING to fight Wlad.

Probably hundreds of thousands more people know him now than did prior to signing.

He also didn't have to go through the spectacle of getting KTFO, so other than the wasted time, it's probably the best outcome he could have hoped for.

A fight with Fury will be pretty huge, especially if he can come through Rahman.

Sets it up quite nicely, and both guys are in with a good shout.

Very big test for Fury IMO. Rahman is long past his best but he is on a 4 fight win streak and is hardly a worse foe than Audley Harrison or John Ruiz. Kudos to Fury for accepting this bout with just 2 weeks to go before the event. Just over 2 years ago Rahman was fighting Wladimir for a title. He's 38 years old which makes him about the same age as quite a few heavyweights around today. Obviously Rahman doesn't have what it takes to accomplish anything more but it's a great bout for Fury who is 22 and 14-0.

wat a little pussy rahman has just puled out and now the show is off. wat is Boxing coming 2 first klitschko puled out on del boy now rahman puled out on me and hay bein gay not wanting to fight anyone With a puls. it takes 2 novice heavyweights with balls to show the world how to fight and not pull out!!!!!!! fury vs chisora the best fight in heavyweight boxing cant wait.

From Tyson's Facebook page

That's a shame. Was a good bout for him. People don't like Tyson Fury (i really don't know why) but i don't mind him at all. I've never been a big fan of the heavier weight classes so i'm quite indifferent on HW fighters. But, Fury has called out every name in British boxing, he accept a bout with a former World champion at short notice and at 22 he's already one of the most famous HWs around because he's got his name out there. What is there not to like? So what if he's skilless or a "bum" or this, that and the other. He's calling guys out and asking for big fights. If he loses them, so be it. I'm only interested in the bigger bouts being made. If they're made, i'm happy.