Pavlik on the outside looking in

A couple years ago, Kelly Pavlik made some pretty disparaging comments regarding the Showtime Super Six. This article takes a look back at what he said and where his career sits now following a devastating loss to Sergio Martinez as well as personal demons with the bottle. Pavlik's best shot at another payday at this point is Lucian Bute...who is in a multi fight deal with Showtime. Interesting.

http://leave-it-in-the-ring.com/plugins/content/mavikthumbnails/thumbnails/299x209-images-stories-kelly-pavlik1-400x280.jpg

Pavlik On the Outside Looking In

Mark Ortega

It was the middle of July of 2009 and Kelly Pavlik, despite two fights previously where he was battered by Bernard Hopkins, was sitting pretty atop the middleweight division as the unified champion and his sights set on a possible fight with fellow pound-for-pound ranked fighter Paul Williams.

Around the same time, Showtime announced their groundbreaking Super Six World Boxing Classic for the super middleweight division, a shortened round robin style tournament featuring six of the best 168 pounders in the world.

When the list of fighters participating was released, one name was curiously omitted in Kelly Pavlik of Youngstown, Ohio. Pavlik had accomplished all what seemed feasible at 160 not counting a Williams fight, as it seemed unlikely that a proposed fight with WBA champion Felix Sturm would come to fruition due to the low purse being offered by HBO to televise the event. Fellow middleweight champion Arthur Abraham was locked into the Super Six and would thus be unavailable.

The tournament risked taking away many of Pavlik's potential high class opposition for the next few years, as the tournament was not laid out to finish up until potentially 2012, a span of three years where Pavlik would have to look elsewhere for challenges.

Pavlik, in an interview with Joe Scalzo of the Youngstown News, first sounded as if he had interest in participating before doing his research and saying that it was a dumb idea.

“Let them beat each other up, let them ruin their career for peanuts,” cried Pavlik. “Why would I be in that tournament when I am a middleweight? They never asked me and I never wanted to join.” Pavlik did not stop there.

“They're going to burn their whole career and for what? Nobody watches Showtime. Trust me, when the winner of the tournament fights his next fight, it will be on HBO.”

Click here to read the rest.....

It turns out he was wrong. I don't know the viewing figures but from everyone i talk to you (mostly Americans) everybody seems to prefer Showtime to HBO. I do agree with him that perhaps the S6 guys could've earn't more by not participating and hand picking easier opponents. But, this is why real boxing fans would love the S6: These guys WANT to fight and for that they deserve a great deal of respect.

Especially a guy like Andre Ward. He gets a bad press for not fighting abroad or outside the west coast (and rightly so) but when he entered the tournament he was a 20-0 novice. He certainly put his career on the line and now he has the boxing World's respect.

It turns out he was wrong. I don't know the viewing figures but from everyone i talk to you (mostly Americans) everybody seems to prefer Showtime to HBO. I do agree with him that perhaps the S6 guys could've earn't more by not participating and hand picking easier opponents. But, this is why real boxing fans would love the S6: These guys WANT to fight and for that they deserve a great deal of respect.

Especially a guy like Andre Ward. He gets a bad press for not fighting abroad or outside the west coast (and rightly so) but when he entered the tournament he was a 20-0 novice. He certainly put his career on the line and now he has the boxing World's respect.

I totally agree. The figures do back up Pavlik's notion that more people watch HBO than Showtime though, despite me and many others preferring Showtime's coverage. A lot of people did criticize Andre Ward, I think because few people knew of him as being more than a prospect. People weren't exposed to the talent of Ward. With the exception of Yahoo! Sports' Kevin Iole, few predicted that Andre Ward would have a shot to win the S6.