Antonio Escalante returns to familiar Telefutura

Friday night I will be covering a card in Fairfield, California that will be televised nationally by Telefutura on their Solo Boxeo program. In the main event is a familiar face to those who have been followers of the program, Antonio Escalante, who has delivered some of the network's best fights over the past five years or so. Anyone recall his wars with Jose Hernandez and Mauricio Pastrana?

Here's my look at Escalante and where he currently stands as he gears up to fight tough comeback opponent Alejandro Valdez.

http://www.leave-it-in-the-ring.com/images/stories/20090623__0624-c1-boxing_300.jpg

Escalante's Return to Familiarity

Mark Ortega

This weekend's Telefutura Solo Boxeo main event will see a familiar face to its airwaves, as the always exciting Antonio Escalante [24-3, 15 KOs] returns to the network that helped build him to take on the tough Alejandro Perez [14-2-1, 9 KOs] in a bout scheduled for ten rounds.

Escalante, who last fought on Telefutura against veteran trial horse Edel Ruiz last August, will fight without the benefit of his fanbase in El Paso, Texas as he travels to the west coast and the now Solo Boxeo familiar Fairfield Sports Center in Fairfield, California. Escalante is coming off a third-round knockout loss at the hands of former 122-pound champion Daniel Ponce de Leon in a major step up and will look to rebound in a fight that is far from a sure win.

Those familiar with Solo Boxeo over the years are certainly fond of Escalante, who has provided the program with a number of wars over the early portion of his career. His January 2006 battle with Jose Hernandez saw Escalante drop the game gatekeeper twice while also tasting the canvas once in a thrilling fight that saw Escalante walk away with the victory. Nearly a year to the day later on the same network, Escalante suffered an eighth-round knockout defeat at the hands of a faded Mauricio Pastrana, who delivered his final hurrah with an upset knockout of the heavily favored Escalante. Despite it being a defeat, it was a bombs away affair that would earn Escalante quite a following.

http://www.leave-it-in-the-ring.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=392:mark-ortega&catid=1:blogs&Itemid=3

Weigh in report for tonight's fight. Escalante was two pounds over and Team Perez said he had to make the weight or they wouldn't take the fight no matter what money they were offered. The whole card would have been scrapped, but alas, Escalante made 130 on his second attempt later. I always wonder if in these situations someone from the other team makes it a point to be present for the second weigh in. A lot of money to be lost if it fell apart. Either way, should be a competitive main event.

http://leave-it-in-the-ring.com/plugins/content/mavikthumbnails/thumbnails/299x224-images-stories-alex.jpg

SOLOBOXEO Escalante 130, Perez 130

Mark Ortega

Friday night, Solo Boxeo makes a return to Telefutura following a weekend off with a very competitive super featherweight main event between fringe contenders Antonio Escalante [24-3, 15 KOs] and Alejandro Perez [14-2-1, 9 KOs] in a ten round attraction at the Fairfield Sports Center in Fairfield, California.

The fight may not look like much on paper, but in comparison to the forgettable February the program had that saw numerous mismatches headlining the Friday weekly cards, it looks like a barnburner.

Escalante has proven he is not quite an elite fighter though there is still time in his young career to progress and pick up a trinket. Perez is on the verge of becoming an opponent if he loses a second straight fight to a young promising fighter as his last loss came against super bantamweight contender Rico Ramos. Perez lost a wide decision to the young fighter who may be on the verge of securing a world title fight against Tokyo's Akifumi Shimoda who owns the WBA belt.

Read the rest below...

http://leave-it-in-the-ring.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=399:mark-ortega&catid=2:articles

Here is my fight report from last night's card. Ran into Dave Murphy, good to see ya Dave before you trek back east.

Perez starches Escalante in one!

Mark Ortega

In a shocking upset, Alejandro Perez [15-2-1, 10 KOs] scored an emphatic one round knockout of former contender Antonio Escalante [24-4, 15 KOs], whose career is now in doubt following the starching.

It's not so much the result that was shocking, but the way the fight finished. Most people that pegged Perez as a danger to Escalante figured he would box his way to a victory over Escalante. Instead, with less than thirty seconds in the first round, Perez stuck a jab in the stomach of Escalante and followed it up with a huge overhand right that crushed the favorite and bounced his head off the canvas.

“I like to work the body a lot and I was working that jab and I said, 'If I throw this jab to the body what will he do with his hands?' so I tried it once and I saw his hands coming down so I said 'This is where the bread is',” said a beaming Perez in the dressing room following the win. “So I threw that jab to the stomach and I came up with the right overhand and it landed.”

A loss would have probably relegated Perez to opponent status, but instead he now has a signature victory to hang his career on moving forward. Following the win, Perez said he plans on moving back to 126 pounds following the win and campaigning there.

Read the rest here:

http://leave-it-in-the-ring.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=400:mark-ortega&catid=2:articles