MURRAY TARGETS NEW STAR RIOS

Faulks

MURRAY TARGETS NEW STAR RIOS

Undefeated European lightweight champion John Murray has targeted a world title showdown with new boxing star Brandon Rios.

The heavy-handed American lifted the WBA World lightweight title on Saturday night with a 10th round stoppage of Miguel Acosta.

And Murray has put the unbeaten 24-year-old to the top of his hit list.

The pair were pencilled to meet for the WBC Youth lightweight title a few years ago and more recently an eliminator for the world title, but now a meeting at 135 pounds could be a much bigger fight.

Also, Murray is positioned at number six in the Ring Magazine lightweight rankings, just one spot below Rios.

"Rios is a real quality operator, and his unbeaten record shows that and he's the kind of fighter I would love to face," said the Mancunian.

"He strong, come-forward, throwing plenty of bombs and looks to walk you down, and matched against my all-action style it would be one explosive fight.

"I'm glad that he's won the world title because it lines up a cracking fight between me and him down the line.

"I've made no secret of the fact that I want to be a world champion, and if I'm going to do that, then Rios is the kind of guy I need to beat.

The red-hot 26-year-old - who has the longest undefeated run in British boxing at 30 wins - signed terms with top promoter Frank Warren earlier this year.

Murray added, "I'll fight anyone out there and I mean it,"

"I threw my name into the hat for a fight against Amir Khan and was willing to step up a weight to do it, but instead he chose Paul McCloskey.

"I also agreed to come to London to fight Kevin Mitchell in his own backyard, so I don't think anyone can question my desire to fight the big names out there."

http://www.frankwarren.tv/index.php/news/fwtv-news/latest-news/994-murray-targets-new-star-rios.html?

Murray isnt exactly known for his movement so would prob end in either a KO or cuts. Be a great scrap though

Exactly, doesn't move enough and doesn't hit hard enough to force Rios off him. Mix either of them in with Katsidis, Antillon or Soto and you again have a cracking fight.

Q-Rios v Valero...who would have won?

A-The fans

Personally, I think Murray has a very good chance against Rios.

We often underestimate the boxing talent on these shores until they have proven themselves, and even then a lot of them still get a hard time...

Rios is largely untested, and if someone stands in front of him and trades, then I'm not overly convinced he'd come out on top against Murray.

Neither is unbeatable, but it would make for a good fight, and one which Murray is more than capable of winning.

I think DeMarco is a better fighter than both of them.