Margarito has no problem going straight into the Cotto remat

WelshDevilRob

Margarito has no problem going straight into the Cotto rematch

By Lem Satterfield

Former three time welterweight champion Antonio Margarito (38-7, 27 knockouts) has no problem heading directly to a summer rematch with WBA junior middleweight champion Miguel Cotto (35-2, 28 KOs), assuming Cotto gets beyond a March 12, Showtime pay per view televised encounter with former world champion Ricardo Mayorga (29-7-1, 22 KOs). Margarito dethroned Cotto as WBA welterweight king with an 11th-round knockout in July of 2008.

Margarito underwent 75 minutes of surgery to repair a fractured right orbital bone suffered during November's unanimous decision loss to Manny Pacquiao. The Mexican boxer is waiting for the green light from his doctor to begin a full training camp.

"We have an appointment again next month with the doctors, and they will tell me more. But so far, things are progressing very well. Since January 5, when the doctors cleared me to start working out, that's when I started. The only thing that I'm not doing is sparring. I'm doing everything else. Running, push ups, sit ups, hitting the bags, and I'm doing that on my own. Sparring is the only thing that I haven't been doing," Margarito said.

If Top Rank's CEO Bob Arum requests a tune-up, Margarito will take it, but there is no issue with heading to a direct rematch with Cotto. If the decision was left to Margarito, he would skip the tune-up.

"Bob Arum is already talking about a rematch against Miguel Cotto. That's a fight that Bob Arum already has mentioned. I would love to have that fight, but we have to get cleared by the doctor. If Bob Arum feels that we might benefit from a tune-up and that we have enough time to do a fight in between the Cotto-Mayorga fight and my fight with Cotto, then we can do it," Margarito said.

"But if not, then we'll go straight to Miguel Cotto. If it was my choice, then I would go straight into the Miguel Cotto fight. I would love to go right into that fight, probably in June."

I hate the Cotto vs Mayorga fight! Angulo, Sergio..., every and anybody ranked in the top ten in the jr middle division of Ring Rankings (except Yuri) would be a better opponent!

Cotto vs Mayweather even! Cotto vs Berto, Cotto vs ugh!

He's one of my favorites but I hate the match making.

Margo should not be boxing. Glad he received such a thrashing.

I only found the Mayorga fight curious because I wanted to see how Cotto would take the press conference antics of Mayorga, but he's taken them well.

And there is no 154'er out there for Cotto to fight, and he's due a bout now. The guy's a warrior, I don't begrudge him a couple of easy ones after the physical bashing he's taken recently.

it wouldnt be as bad if the rest of the PPV wasnt completely terrible

Miguel Cotto vs. Ricardo Mayorga, 12 rounds, for Cotto's WBA junior middleweight title

Miguel Vazquez vs. Leonardo Zappavigna, 12 rounds, for Vazquez's IBF lightweight title

Yuri Foreman vs. Pawel Wolak, 10 rounds, junior middleweights

Christy Martin vs. Dakota Stone, rematch, 6 rounds, female junior middleweights

Yeah, I quite like the rest of the card on the Cotto vs Mayorga show.

Even Wolak vs foreman should be pretty decent.

They both have a decent amount of skill, and are both sitting at 28-1-0.

It's a pick'em fight, where both guys are fairly highly ranked.

Vazquez vs Zappavigna is also going to be a 50/50 imo.