Hatton defends title shot

Brick Top

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,12183_6772298,00.html

Matthew Hatton believes his willingness to take on the best has rewarded him in landing a world title shot.

Hatton, younger brother of Ricky, accepted a fight with highly-rated Mexican Saul Alvarez on March 5, which has subsequently been sanctioned by the WBC.

The belt became vacant after champion Manny Pacquiao opted to defend his WBO welterweight strap instead.

It gave the WBC a chance to give their top-ranked contender Alvarez a straight shot at the title, with Hatton along for the ride.

Dave Coldwell, trainer of the WBC's fourth-ranked Ryan Rhodes, labelled the match-up as 'boxing politics at its worst', but Hatton is happy to get on with the job at hand.

"I've not been getting involved in all that and let's be clear, I took the fight before it was a world title fight because it's a great opportunity," Hatton said.

"I was prepared to take on Alvarez at a catchweight of 150lb, so I think my bravery in taking a fight like this at a weight up has been rewarded."

Both fighters have campaigned at welterweight for the majority of their careers, but Hatton has defended the legitimacy of a fight that takes place just 3lb above the lower weight limit.

"The weight has got to suit both fighters and if it's a fight that people want to see - and people do want to see this fight - I don't see a problem in fights taking place at catchweight.," he added.

Hatton admits Alvarez, who carries a 35-0 record with one draw early in his career, will be a tough nut to crack.

"You can't knock him really. From what I've seen of him he's an excellent young fighter," said the 'Magic Man', who is unbeaten in his last nine fights.

"He's a good all-rounder - he can fight, he can box, he's obviously got a lot of power.

"He's a strong guy but like any other fighter he's got weaknesses.

"I'm a seasoned fighter. I feel as if physically and mentally I'm coming into my peak and producing the best form of my career. At this moment in our careers I feel I'll be more than a match for him."

Apparently the fight is being contracted at 150lbs!? Another f***** catchweight. What a disgrace.

Hatton will hardly become a future great, so it's irrelevant. Saul is a bright talent but this is still an early fight for him, so it won't hurt him much, especially since the opponent is.....Matt Hatton.