McAllister is fighting fit and focusing on the future

Faulks

McAllister is fighting fit and focusing on the future

BY MICHAEL GANNON

Published: 22/02/2011

Lee McAllister wants to create a boxing legacy in Aberdeen and the north-east after becoming the first active fighter in the UK to hold a managing and promoting licence.

The 28-year-old Commonwealth lightweight champion has his sights firmly set on Saturday’s IBO inter-continental contest against Hungarian Istvan Nagy at the Aberdeen Beach Ballroom. But he is also looking to the future and he wants to create a stable of fighters to follow in his footsteps.

McAllister said: “I am the first boxer from Aberdeen and the north-east to have won a notable title but I do not want to be the last.

“I want to help other boxers have the opportunities I found hard to get. There are a lot of really keen boxers in this area but they do not get the support.

“I want to create a boxing stable and the dream is to have Aberdeen and north-east fighters regularly competing for British, European, Commonwealth and world titles.

“I already had my pro- moter’s licence but I thought it would be beneficial to go the whole hog and get the manager’s licence.

“I am still very much a fighter first and foremost but I want to create a long-term legacy in the region.”

McAllister cannot afford to look beyond his immediate task. Nagy must be negotiated to set up a European title tilt. The Aberdeen Assassin is relishing his return after 13 months out following elbow surgery.

He said: “I cannot wait to get back in the ring. It has been a long time coming and I am going to take out a lot of frustration on Nagy.

“I feel back to my best and the elbow is 100%. Training has gone brilliantly and I have no problems with the weight. It is all go and I am just looking forward to getting back.”

Limited tickets are still available. For further information call 01224 632218.

http://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/Article.aspx/2146866?UserKey=