Pacquiao-Marquez for November?

RAZZ-MCFC

what the hell's this bollocks about Marquez not being as big a fight as one with Marquez?? Arum's full of shite!

WBO welterweight champion Manny Pacquiao (52-3-2, 38 knockouts) has taken some cricitism for chosing to face the 39-year-old Shane Mosley (46-6-1, 39 KOs) over options that also included a third bout with 37-year-old WBO/WBA lightweight king Juan Manuel Marquez (51-5-1, 38 KOs), or, unbeaten, 27-year-old WBC welterweight champ Andre Berto (26-0, 21 KOs).

Marquez has battled Pacquiao to a draw, and, lost to on a disputed, split-decision, respectively, in May of 2004, and, March of 2008. The Mexican champion was slated to face Erik Morales on April 9 in Las Vegas, but he reportedly withdrew in order to become a free agent. Marquez's contract with Golden Boy Promotions expires in a few days.

Industry experts believe Marquez is attempting to replicate the recent move by Mosley, who left Golden Boy to secure a fight with Pacquiao. The Filipino champion is promoted by Golden Boy's promotional rival, Top Rank.

"I look at the fighter. And if Marquez's monetary demands are reasonable, and Manny Pacquiao gets by Mosley, and [Floyd] Mayweather is not available for November, then Marquez goes into the batter's box," said Top Rank's CEO, Bob Arum.

"I have been told that his contract is over with Golden Boy Promotions on Feb. 20, and then that there is a 30 days period where they have exclusive negotiations with him. It's a big fight with Marquez, but not as big as the Mosley fight. But when you look at what's around, Marquez is bigger than any fight other than the Mayweather fight."

http://www.boxingscene.com/?m=show&opt=printable&id=36092

id argue that marquez is more deserving than cotto and hatton due to the controversial nature of his two fights with pacquiao. not to mention after "losing" to pacquiao, JMM went to 135 to KO both diaz and casamayor.

though cotto and hatton were certainly legitimate fights, not taking anything away from them.

I just don't see the appeal of a 3rd Marquez fight.

And I really don't get the suggestion that Pacquiao's somehow avoiding him.

He's a lightweight, and nothing higher.

He was demolished by Floyd, and then beat a Juan Diaz who was coming off 3 losses in his last 5, and a one-dimensional Katsidis.

He's got nothing at 147 lbs, and is getting a bit long in the tooth to have any impact at the weight now against a Pacquiao who is twice the fighter who had close contests with him some 3 and 4 divisions lower than the the one the fight would be expected at...

It doesn't appeal to me at all.

I'm sure the same people will say Pacquiao is picking on a small guy the moment he takes him out of there.

I can see the appeal from the fighters side - Manny would want to prove once and for all that he's better while Marquez feels robbed twice.

Marquez keeps putting in stunning performances but at a lower weight so I personally don't want to see him going into a fight at a weight disadvantage.

I suppose from Manny's perspective a third fight and win would shut up those in 10 years time who asked why he never gave a rubber match to Marquez.

Marquez wants a 3rd fight and Floyd Mayweather won't even do 1 fight (Joker)

I'd prefer to see Bradley or Berto up next for PacMan - think they are good fights and worthy.

how is marquez undeserving? weight is the only issue i can see, other than that hes more deserving than any of pacquiao's opponents since their second fight together

Apart from Hatton.

And Cotto.

Cott's a pure warrior but if we are strictly talking about who deserves it least, it would be Cotto (based on easy win over Jennings and a fight many thought Cotto lost in Clottey), Dlh and Margarito.

But, we will all be here for a month naming fights that shouldn't have happened and boxers who never deserved their chance.

I guess it is a moot point to a large extent.

I have to laugh at the crap some write. The only difference if Pakow fights JMM now than when they fought in 2008, is he wont have to boil down to 130, he will still weigh the minimum 144 by fight time that he has weighed since the 2nd Morales fight.

Cotto was a catchweight so is rendered worthless by anyone other than Pakow fans ( who dont count anyway ) which leaves Hatton.

Again no one other than die hard Pakow fans would be stupid enough to claim Hatton was anywhere near the top of his game. What punch resistence he did have had been well and truly knocked out of him by Kostya Tszyu, and Mayweather.

I have to laugh at the crap some write. The only difference if Pakow fights JMM now than when they fought in 2008, is he wont have to boil down to 130, he will still weigh the minimum 144 by fight time that he has weighed since the 2nd Morales fight.

Cotto was a catchweight so is rendered worthless by anyone other than Pakow fans ( who dont count anyway ) which leaves Hatton.

Again no one other than die hard Pakow fans would be stupid enough to claim Hatton was anywhere near the top of his game. What punch resistence he did have had been well and truly knocked out of him by Kostya Tszyu, and Mayweather.

I think we're looking at the Cotto fight from different areas. IMO Cotto deserved the payday (which I'm pretty sure was a career high), the fact it was at catchweight takes away from THE WIN, but not whether or not Cotto DESERVED the fight.

I don't think Hatton was ever the same after Zu, though Pacquiao cruised through him much more impressively than Mayweather did at a weight Hatton was visibly not comfortable with.