Derry Mathews spars with Ricky Burns ahead of WBF title chan

The_budweiser

“Dirty” out to show Goodwin who’s the Golden Boy

Former WBU featherweight champion Derry Mathews fights for a fourth major title on April 2nd and hopes it will propel him one step closer to a full world title shot, when he takes on Chester’s Chris Goodwin on his home soil at the Northgate Arena Leisure Centre.

The 27 year-old picked up the IBO International lightweight title in his last bout, when he avenged a 2009 loss to Scott Lawton at the Olympia in Liverpool on the back of his strong showing at the Prizefighter super-featherweights tournament back in November.

The Scouser now aims to add the WBF Intercontinental lightweight title to his belt haul as he travels to 12-1-1 Goodwin’s backyard with his army of fans in tow and with his opponent lacking in experience, Mathews (26-5-0) is confident of wrapping another belt around his gold-laden waist.

“Trainings going well,” Mathews told WBN.

“I got back of two-week holiday in Egypt with my girlfriend were I just switched off and relaxed, now I am home and have switched back on to dismantling Goodwin.

“It’s going to be a great fight. I know what have got to do to beat him, this is a cup final and I can't afford to slip up so am goin to train like a true champion and be in shape of my life.

“I am gettin best sparring that any fighter could wish for. I am sparring with WBO super-featherweight world champion Ricky Burns.”

Mathews has no qualms about travelling for a fight as he has been commuting to Manchester every day to train with experienced coach Oliver Harrison, whom he joined up with after an eight-month semi-retirement in late 2009 and early 2010.

“I have heard that Goodwin is the little golden boy in Chester. Well I have got news for him, Liverpool’s old golden boy is coming to destroy him infront of his own fans and send my fans home happy with another belt to pass round on the three double decker buses I have goin ha!

“I am too big, clever and fast for him and will hurt him with everyshot,” added the IBO belt holder.

[url]http://www.worldboxingnews.net/2011/02/derry-mathews-spars-with-ricky-burns.html[/url]