Ortiz and Berto agree to fight on April 16th

Skav

Ortiz and Berto agree to fight on April 16th  

1. 1. Ortiz and Berto agree to fight on April 16th

• Berto
    • Ortiz

I find it pretty remarkable that people are giving Berto credit for this fight. Yet again he is fighting a smaller fighter who to make matters worse is coming off a disappointing draw and has never fully recovered from his loss to Maidana.

I agree, but stylistically this should be a good match. Ortiz is fast, powerful and has decent stamina and Berto's defense is a bit leaky.

However, I don't think Ortiz deserves this shot. I've never really liked the guy, to be honest. His attitude rubs me up the wrong way, especially when he stated there's more to life than boxing, and of course, there is the Maidana situation when he waved his hands to the ref that he wanted no more.

He got a draw last time out, and I don't see how he deserves his shot by beating the likes of a faded Vivian Harris and Nate Campbell.

Faulks, how do you add a poll?

I find it pretty remarkable that people are giving Berto credit for this fight. Yet again he is fighting a smaller fighter who to make matters worse is coming off a disappointing draw and has never fully recovered from his loss to Maidana.

I agree, but stylistically this should be a good match. Ortiz is fast, powerful and has decent stamina and Berto's defense is a bit leaky.

However, I don't think Ortiz deserves this shot. I've never really liked the guy, to be honest. His attitude rubs me up the wrong way, especially when he stated there's more to life than boxing, and of course, there is the Maidana situation when he waved his hands to the ref that he wanted no more.

He got a draw last time out, and I don't see how he deserves his shot by beating the likes of a faded Vivian Harris and Nate Campbell.

If you edit your original post its down at the bottom. Im not 100% sure you can do it after your original post (not being a mod) so ive added it for you deal//

Ive gone for Ortiz

If you edit your original post its down at the bottom. Im not 100% sure you can do it after your original post (not being a mod) so ive added it for you deal//

Ive gone for Ortiz

Cheers, mate. deal//

Thank god for that- that was my reaction as well and yet the presiding opinion seems to be it's a good match.

my initial reaction was also "here we go again" with berto... but really who else would you have berto fight? oritz has a bit of a name and is by no means a small JWW, in fact hes a bit larger than berto.

maidana, matthyse would be OK... but then again both JWW's and coming off close losses

cintron? yawn

paul williams? sounds great, but al haymon is not having that

collazo rematch? sounds good, though collazo seems to have retired lol

cotto, mosley, pacquiao, mayweather, khan, bradley? all tied up at the moment

as for aydin, zaveck, senchenko, ouali, brook... remember we are upset that HBO is throwing money at meaningless berto fights, lets not continue them

my initial reaction was also "here we go again" with berto... but really who else would you have berto fight? oritz has a bit of a name and is by no means a small JWW, in fact hes a bit larger than berto.

maidana, matthyse would be OK... but then again both JWW's and coming off close losses

cintron? yawn

as for aydin, zaveck, senchenko, ouali, brook... remember we are upset that HBO is throwing money at meaningless berto fights, lets not continue them

Aydin would have been fine, Brook have been fine, both highly rated WW's who would ask for less than Ortiz will be getting, both Unbeaten and on a good run. Ortiz is done and has shown he's no longer a fighter by backing off from Peterson for most the fight.

cintron? yawn

Aydin would have been fine, Brook have been fine, both highly rated WW's who would ask for less than Ortiz will be getting, both Unbeaten and on a good run. Ortiz is done and has shown he's no longer a fighter by backing off from Peterson for most the fight.

yeah but the situation here is that after all of the (well deserved) whining that HBO got, berto is going to have to fight against names. i cant imagine they would buy any of those fights. better to kill two birds with one stone in a sense: the two fighters they are accused of overpaying fight each other, with (hopefully) the loser commanding far less money in the future

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="gavpowell" data-cite="gavpowell" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="6620" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div><blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="dulais_valley" data-cite="dulais_valley" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="6620" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>I find it pretty remarkable that people are giving Berto credit for this fight. Yet again he is fighting a smaller fighter who to make matters worse is coming off a disappointing draw and has never fully recovered from his loss to Maidana.</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> Thank god for that- that was my reaction as well and yet the presiding opinion seems to be it's a good match.</p></div></blockquote><p> </p><p> I'm equally suprised, I saw the headline and it left me cold, in what area is Ortiz superior to Berto? I go down the list and all the checks go into the Berto column.</p>

cintron? yawn

That's a far more dangerous and interesting match than Ortiz.Cintron is a big welterweight and is a far greater puncher than anyone Berto has ever been in the ring with.He may be an idiot,but he's a much more credible opponent than Ortiz is.

maybe we're seeing the "New Vargas"

I don't have a problem with Ortiz,but I think the Vargas comparison is a bit unflattering to Vargas,who accomplished as much in his first three years as a pro as anyone in recent years.