Klitschko performs U-turn over July 2 date

Faulks

Klitschko performs U-turn over July 2 date

ESPN staff

The protracted saga of Wladimir Klitschko's fight with David Haye has taken another twist, with Klitschko now saying that July 2 may not be a suitable date for a clash.

His admission marks a significant U-turn from his stance last week, when he insisted that Haye only needed to give the green light for the bout to take place on that date.

Haye claims that a July 2 fight is impossible because he will not have the time to recover after his bout with mandatory challenger Ruslan Chagaev, which is likely to take place in May. The WBA champion says that he will be stripped of his belt if he does not take to the ring against Chagaev, who was beaten by Klitschko in 2009.

Now Klitschko has conceded that he is unlikely to have space in his schedule to face Haye in July, having agreed a bout with Dereck Chisora in April and Tomasz Adamek in September - although Adamek has signed to fight either Wladimir or Vitali, with the brothers to decide who steps up.

The situation is further complicated by Haye's plan to walk away from the sport in October of this year, when he turns 31.

"With Chisora and then possibly Adamek it's unlikely the fight can take place before the end of the year at the earliest," Klitschko told Sportsvibe. "But I'm not going anywhere and I suspect, even though Haye says he will retire, that he cannot afford to quit boxing before fighting me."

He went on to add his obligatory dig at Haye's record since becoming champion, which comprises two one-sided title defences against John Ruiz and Audley Harrison. "Does Haye really believe his legacy will be the Audley Harrison fight? If that's how Haye wants to bow out then he'll be betraying his fans and his legacy will be that of a loser if he never fights me."

http://www.espn.co.uk/boxing/sport/story/73989.html?CMP=OTC-RSS

I thought this guy was University educated? Are his fans now gonna say he just got the dates all mixed up and didn't realise what Haye was saying all along.

He had no intention of signing to fight Haye and I doubt he would have signed for April if there was a slot then. (there wasn't due to the Khan fight)

Wlad was adamant that the fight could still take place on July 2nd but looks like hes finally admitting that he won't be fighting Haye at all this year!

I thought this guy was University educated? Are his fans now gonna say he just got the dates all mixed up and didn't realise what Haye was saying all along.

LOL!

I think there will be more banter between the two camps in the weeks and months ahead. Sounds like the Klitschkos are either looking to put pressure on Haye, or coming up with a legitimate reason for not fighting him. Either way, until a contract is signed this fight is nothing more than 'aspirational'.

All I'll say, is that the Klits have had no problem signing anyone else up?

They have notoriously difficult stipulations, and it's right that Haye doesn't just roll over and accept them all.

On the other hand, it was the whole "more than 50% of the purse" thing that soured the whole lot for me.

It was both of them at fault.

Wlad presented Haye with 2 dates, and he wanted neither of them.

Wlad's since signed 2 fights, and Haye's still looking for a patsy.

I'm not going to side with the Klits, because it's clear they were never realistically going to make the July date after signing to face Chisora, but the fact is, Haye has done the majority of dicking around when it comes to these negotiations.

A 50/50 split could have been made months ago, and that is still far more than he deserves for the fight.

Yet here we still are.

This fight isn't happening I'm afraid.

He had no intention of signing to fight Haye and I doubt he would have signed for April if there was a slot then. (there wasn't due to the Khan fight)

Wlad was adamant that the fight could still take place on July 2nd but looks like hes finally admitting that he won't be fighting Haye at all this year!

Have we forgotten all of Haye's heel-dragging over years? Wlad is flashing Haye at every turn these days. He is playing Haye and in doing so, coming off looking less than stellar. Forget a Haye/Klitschko match, you'll sleep better. Enjoy the reality show that the saga really is, with both passing the black hat between each other based on the moment.

They have notoriously difficult stipulations, and it's right that Haye doesn't just roll over and accept them all.

On the other hand, it was the whole "more than 50% of the purse" thing that soured the whole lot for me.

I'm not going to side with the Klits, because it's clear they were never realistically going to make the July date after signing to face Chisora, but the fact is, Haye has done the majority of dicking around when it comes to these negotiations.

A 50/50 split could have been made months ago, and that is still far more than he deserves for the fight.

Yet here we still are.

So if that is all you're saying, who says all that which is underneath?

Have we forgotten all of Haye's heel-dragging over years? Wlad is flashing Haye at every turn these days. He is playing Haye and in doing so, coming off looking less than stellar. Forget a Haye/Klitschko match, you'll sleep better. Enjoy the reality show that the saga really is, with both passing the black hat between each other based on the moment.

I haven't forgotten Hayes large part in this fight not happening over the years and have been reminded of it often the last few weeks, where Haye has for the most part been flacking the blame for the fight not happening this time.

Someone suggested (think DaveMurphy) that this is the Klitschko's sweet revenge on Haye and it certainly could be that.

Still, waiting to see which brother Adamek is fighting in September as though hes signed it appears unclear as too who he will be facing. Maybe they are waiting to see how he does against McBride. grin//

Yet here we still are.

So if that is all you're saying, who says all that which is underneath?

It actually goes like this;

All I'll say, is: that the Klits have had no problem signing anyone else up?

Yet here we still are.

mlol/

I think even the people who seem to have an intense dislike of Haye would have to admit this one is down to Klitschko. I agree with Gav that K2 are just messing Haye around now, and as Londoner says, calling his bluff for October. I think Haye might fight one of the brothers in his last fight in September/October (whichever one doesn't fight Adamek).

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="gavpowell" data-cite="gavpowell" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="6603" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>Because last week Klitschko said the date was still open, this week he's saying "I don't think we'll have time"</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> The date was always bullshit, he said Chisora is a big challenge then why is he assuming he will win and come out with in cut or injurys.</p><p> </p><p> July 2nd date was only possible if Chisora fight wouldnt happem</p>

No it wasn;t - look at Haye-Harriso. Haye won and didn't pick up any injuries. There's no reason to suppose Chisora will do Wlad any serious harm. Either way I'm not too bothered because i said all along if I were K2 I'd keep stringing Haye along just to piss him off, or shut him out completely and say "back of the line - you had your chance"