Tua broke and homeless

WelshDevilRob

David 'Tuaman' Tua Shocker: Broke and Homeless As He Prepares For Title RunBy Johnny Walker

You could call it life imitating art, or vice-versa.

In the new FX boxing drama Lights Out, the main character, Patrick "Lights" Leary (Holt McCallany), 40, is a retired heavyweight champion who has blown through millions of dollars, while living in a too-lavish manner with his family in New Jersey.

In a recent episode, Lights, having been forced to face the reality of his situation, is forced to tell his stricken wife, "It's gone. It's all gone."

It's a story that David "Tuaman" Tua, 38, veteran heavyweight contender, can identify with all too well.

Read more here:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/606605-david-tuaman-tua-shocker-battles-homelessness-as-he-embarks-on-final-run

It's hard to keep feeling sorry for boxers (or anyone for that matter) who once had a lot of money and are now down on their luck.

It says he earn't $12m for his loss against Lennox Lewis. So how much must he have earn't in total career earnings?

Which then brings us to how he lost his money. It says he had to pay a lot in legal fees and tax. Why did he owe so many millions in tax? Was he tax dodging? You'd have to assume so.

The famous saying goes: "Brains over brawn". In my life, i have met many hard men. Ohhhh, loads and loads and loads. But, i have never met an intellectual hard man. That might sound very pompous and obnoxious (that's because it is). But, why do we allow hard men to somehow "not have to grow up" like the rest of us? Why does society give hard men a carte blanche to squander all their cash and then sorry for them?

Do we feel sorry for drug addicts who squander all their cash on drugs? No. Do we feel sorry for rock stars and film stars who waste all their money? No.

The whole brains over brawn scenario revolves around the fact that we allow hard men to get away with being silly with their money because: They don't know any better.

If i was a hard man i would feel insulted that i was being molly coddled by all of these pests.

In my opinion: IT'S TIME TO GROW UP !!!!!

These boxers who are being swindled out of their cash all seem to have one thing in common: They're not the brightest and they allow themselves to be easily manipulated.

This is the same for footballers but they have agents on their side who try to suck as much money out of clubs as possible as they themselves also profit.

Do boxers need agents? Or better managers? Or a Union? Yeah, perhaps a number of things.

But, first and foremost: They NEED to grow up. They're grown adults, so now it's time to stop being a baby and squandering their money on 8 Ferraris, 3 houses, 4 divorces etc....

It'c becausxe he had emplotyed people to deal with all these things like finances for him, ad they screwed him over( he had 2 years or so out because he was suing his ex manager). Still, way to run with the conclusion you jumped to.

I didn't jump to any conclusion. I said near the top that he owed millions in legal fees and tax, as the article stated. I then said how boxers are so easy to manipulate. They're easy to manipulate because they often don't have to take care of their own dealings.

You say yourself he had a manager to take care of things and he swindled him.

OK, why wasn't the manager there to wipe his bum? Why wasn't the manager breastfeeding his children? Why wasn't he reading him a bedtime story?

People work their whole lives and never need help with their finances.

Your point seems to be sticking up for the fact these people are allowed to simply: Hand over their cash and hope for the best.

These people are often naive, childish, foolish, pathetic, easy to manipulate.....

Why do these people who get their money swindled from them not ever glance at their own finances? Are they THAT trusting?

The conclusion I was referring to was "Was he tax dodging? You'd have to assume so....it's time to grow up!!!"

Well speaking as someone who runs his own business and whose parents have run their own business for about 15 years, it's a combination of things, mostly boiling down to not everyone understands money. The tax system here is immensely complicated and the one in the USA seems to be even moreso. God knows what it's like if you're a New Zealand-bbased Samoan fighting in Vegas, Atlantic City etc etc.

Are you employed? If so, what are your annual contributions for income tax? For national insurance? What tax code are you on and how is it calculated? If you start employment on 1st January but leave the job on the 15th May the following year, how many tax years does that period cover? Now factor in that your job requires you to earn income abroad and makes you liable to those countries' tax laws. How much tax will you pay for fighting in London if you're based in New Zealand and sponsored by an American company with offices in Paris, New York and Oslo?

There's a reason tax accountants are incredibly rich - you end up employing someone to wipe your arse because you can;t tell whether toilet paper is a business expense or a taxable asset.

The conclusion I was referring to was "Was he tax dodging? You'd have to assume so....it's time to grow up!!!"

Well speaking as someone who runs his own business and whose parents have run their own business for about 15 years, it's a combination of things, mostly boiling down to not everyone understands money. The tax system here is immensely complicated and the one in the USA seems to be even moreso. God knows what it's like if you're a New Zealand-bbased Samoan fighting in Vegas, Atlantic City etc etc.

Are you employed? If so, what are your annual contributions for income tax? For national insurance? What tax code are you on and how is it calculated? If you start employment on 1st January but leave the job on the 15th May the following year, how many tax years does that period cover? Now factor in that your job requires you to earn income abroad and makes you liable to those countries' tax laws. How much tax will you pay for fighting in London if you're based in New Zealand and sponsored by an American company with offices in Paris, New York and Oslo?

There's a reason tax accountants are incredibly rich - you end up employing someone to wipe your arse because you can;t tell whether toilet paper is a business expense or a taxable asset.

I totally agree with you that's it's tough. Especially, if you're self employed. But, people need to understand their own finances at the same time as letting somebody else deal with them. No point just handing them over and hoping for the best. Although, i fully understand what you're saying that he might simply not understand what's going on.

But, if that's the case, then why have kids? Why get a job in the first place? If you're old enough to punch people for a living, take upon the responsibility of having children which affects the lives of yourself, your children and society as a whole and if you're old enough to leave millions in the hands of a random "do gooder" then you should be old enough to know where your money is going and how much of it.

I'm not a millionaire and so i have no idea how it must feel to have so much money and so little time to sort it all out.

But, too many people think they're old enough to buy fancy cars, have children, buy a mansion but then they say: "I'm not intelligent enough to know what to do with it all". Then don't do any of it.

What about all the boxers who don't get swindled or are careful with their money?

Don't get me wrong, i bet his manager was a parasite. This doesn't take away from the fact people should learn about how money works and where it should all be paid.

Put simply, if you have $20m you should know for YOURSELF how that money must be distributed.

[

Your point seems to be sticking up for the fact these people are allowed to simply: Hand over their cash and hope for the best.

These people are often naive, childish, foolish, pathetic, easy to manipulate.....

Why do these people who get their money swindled from them not ever glance at their own finances? Are they THAT trusting?

Hmmm, sounds like all those millions of intellectual, and highly educated fuckwits with jobs you so admire that simply handed their money over to banks, only for them to lose it, then get them to bail the banks out through taxes.

Surprising how much more stupid educated people are, compared to hard men, isn't it?

• 3 weeks later...
[

Hmmm, sounds like all those millions of intellectual, and highly educated fuckwits with jobs you so admire that simply handed their money over to banks, only for them to lose it, then get them to bail the banks out through taxes.

Surprising how much more stupid educated people are, compared to hard men, isn't it?

I don't even know what any of that meant, McBride.

..."I admire".... You don't know me well enough. lol.

I don't see how you can argue the classic phrase: Brains over brawn though.

Is it businessman billionaires and their puppet government friends or is it minor hoodlums, boxers, muscle men, thugs, hooligans etc who control the World?

I'm not being sarcastic, i'm simply pointing out that "Money makes the World go round".

For every wannabe gangster or soldier, or member of the SAS, there is a 100 rich men with no muscle at all standing over them like a giant. And those muscle men will bend over backwards to please their masters.

It has been like that since early day civilisations and will never change. Humans simply want to dine at the master's dinner table and he who does not gets swiped into the street like a vagabond.

Not quite sure how i admire them for it though. I mean the French revolution is only my favourite moment in history and i turned down meeting the Queen a few years back as it goes against my principles.

I agree for the most part with Londoner here! To me, it is totally unimaginable how anyone can squander the amounts some of these guys make. There maybe exceptions to the cliche that a boxer simply blows the cash on too lavish a lifestyle, but for the most part thats what they do. Little sympathy from me I'm afraid.

Are you two serious or what?

Let me say it again. Billions of idiots put their money into banks. The people in charge of said banks ripped them off and fucked the money down the drain.

Have you heard of the world recession or not?

Those are the people who caused it. If you have the intelligence to understand that, the next step is not that difficult.

Reckless spending is exactly what the banks did, but even worse it was done with other peoples money. Giving loans to anyone and everyone, whether they can repay it or not is exactly the same as a rich guy who spends it all and ends up potless.

Londoner,

Are you from this planet or what? Exactly what constitutes a " businessman " in your eyes? What makes you think that someone who buys, or manufactures something, then sells it at a huge profit, making himself extremely wealthy along the way, isn't a thug, hoodlum, hooligan, or whatever other words you choose to describe what i can only assume you think are non businessmen?