Nathan Cleverly set to fight Braehmer for world title

Faulks

Nathan Cleverly set to fight Braehmer for world title

Nathan Cleverly is still unbeaten in his 21 fights since his pro debut in 2005

Nathan Cleverly is set to fight champion Juergen Braehmer for the WBO light-heavyweight crown in London on 2 April, BBC Sport Wales understands.

Braehmer pulled out of a title defence against WBA title-holder Beibut Shumenov last month because of illness.

And the German must now fight 23-year-old Welshman Cleverly from Cefn Fforest or be stripped of his belt.

Were that to happen Cleverly would be upgraded from WBO 'interim' champion to the governing body's full champion.

Cleverly picked up the WBO interim light-heavyweight title at Liverpool's Echo Arena in December 2010, with a unanimous points win over awkward Frenchman Nadjib Mohammedi.

Cleverly would also have been upgraded if Braehmer had been jailed after receiving a 16-month sentence for assault and insulting behaviour.

But the 32-year-old's appeal - which began on 13 December - is likely to be a drawn-out process, meaning Braehmer will continue to box despite his court battle.

"I'll be glad to fight for the belt in the ring rather than win it by default," said Cleverly last month.

"It would be nice to get my hands on the world champion and beat him to win the title - that would be the icing on the cake."

Cleverly would become the 11th Welsh world boxing champion if he does land the WBO belt.

And should he be crowned world champion, he would become the second Welshman after lightweight legend Freddie Welsh to win British, Commonwealth, European and world belts.

"I'm looking forward to it and have got to be prepared both physically and mentally," he added.

"I've won all my eliminator fights and become interim light heavyweight champion.

"In doing that you kind of make yourself a mandatory challenger so they've got no option other than fight you."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/boxing/9279684.stm?