Tony Bellew v Ovill McKenzie 2 , who wins ? (Gavin replaces)

The_budweiser

I agree with Crusader - In the first fight Bellew started raggedly and paid the price for his defensive shortcomings. However, once he settled down and got behind the jab, he started to pick his shots better and found the punches to end the fight. I rate Bellew as the more ambitious and determined fighter. McKenzie will have his moments but I think Tony will do him again.

BoxRec News understands that Saturday's scheduled Sky-televised Commonwealth light-heavyweight title fight between champion Tony Bellew and challenger Ovill McKenzie is off.

Birmingham's former world amateur champion Frankie Gavin replaces the main event in a twelve rounder (so presumably for a title of some description) against 35-year-old former European lightweight champion from Wales, Jason Cook.

This cancellation comes only a day after lightweight Kevin Mitchell revealed that his proposed fight against John Murray would not happen due to 'politics'.

http://news.boxrec.com/news/2011/exclusive-tony-bellew-v-ovill-mckenzie

Gavin Replaces Injured Bellow As Headliner In London

Frankie Gavin will now headline at London’s York Hall this Saturday after headliner Tony Bellew withdrew because of a hand injury.

Gavin, Britain’s only ever world amateur champion, will face Welshman Jason Cook in an eliminator for the British junior-welterweight title, replacing Bellew’s Commonwealth Light-Heavyweight title defence against Ovill McKenzie.

Unbeaten Gavin was already featuring on the undercard in an eight-rounder, but has now been upgraded to the main event.

Gavin was due to fight last December in Liverpool against Dean Harrison, but had to withdraw because of flu.

"I’m fit and ready to go and can’t wait for this Saturday knowing that a win will get me closer to a shot at the current British champion Lenny Daws," Gavin told Frankwarren.tv .

"I really feel for Tony and am gutted that he’s had to pull out, he really wanted to get in the ring again with McKenzie and do a job on him after their fight last December,"

"Tony will at least be happy that his best mate is taking his top spot on the show though!

"This is great opportunity for me to really put myself in the limelight and show what I can do against a tough former European champion,"

"Cook has got plenty of experience and he will come to give me a hard fight, I’m ready for the step up to face him and show that I’m in the new kid on the block."

Added Gavin: "I’ve stated in the past that Daws is the man I want and that British title that he’s holding for me, a good win over Cook will put me close to him."

"This will only be my ninth fight, but like James DeGale, I want that Lonsdale belt around my waist."

February 15, 2011

GAVIN-COOK CALLED OFF

Frankie Gavin's return to action against Jason Cook has been scrapped.

The pair were due to meet in a top-of-the-bill clash on Frank Warren's York Hall show this Saturday.

But the fight has been cancelled after Cook failed to make the required weight when both fighters checked in with the British Boxing Board of Control on Wednesday.

Warren is now searching for a replacement bout to top a card that also includes an intriguing heavyweight match-up between Larry 'War Maching' Larry Olubamiwo and John McDermott.

But it is another blow to the promoter who has already lost the original main event, a Commonwealth light-heavyweight showdown between Tony Bellew and Ovill McKenzie, due a hand injury sustained by the former in training.

Gavin versus Cook at welterweight was quickly put together only for the Welshman, now 35 and with only two fights in the last 14 months, to miss the pre-weigh-in target.

Gavin, who lost his spot on the December pay-per-view card when Dean Harrison withdrew, may still box on Saturday if a late replacement can be found.

http://www.sportinglife.com/boxing/news/story_get.cgi?STORY_NAME=boxing/11/02/17/manual_182849.html&BID=543