Froch interview

Faulks

By Mark Vester

WBC super middleweight champion Carl Froch has no problem with traveling across the ocean to fight Glen Johnson in their semi-final bout in the Super Six tournament. The fight takes place on May 21. Froch has no problem with facing Johnson in Canada or Las Vegas. Even though Johnson is over 40-years of age, Froch is not taking him lightly. He watched as Johnson knocked out a much younger Allan Green in the third stage of the Super Six.

"My focus now turns to the American-based Jamaican Glen Johnson. Like a fine wine, this guy just gets better with age. He is now into his 40s and as game as can be. If anything, he is a better fighter today than he was ten years ago. And his KO victory over the capable Allan Green proved he is no push over," Froch wrote in his Nottingham Post article.

"People assume I will be taking this man lightly but that would be unprofessional as he also knocked out a young Roy Jones and was very close to giving Chad Dawson his first defeat. With regards to the venue, firstly, my Showtime contract stipulates that the semi-final must be held in America. The other ideas we're receptive to are possible venues in Las Vegas and Canada, both of which I'd have absolutely no problem with."

The other semi-final bout in the Super Six will feature WBA champion Andre Ward, the tournament points leader, facing Arthur Abraham. Froch feels the venue of choice will play a big role in the fight.

"Abraham is now working towards a tune-up fight, outside of the tournament in February – a confidence-builder so to speak. And then he will be taking on Andre Ward, which will be interesting, as the choice of venue will obviously be a very big sticking point between the two men as both owe a lot of their success to fighting at home again and again," Froch said.