Juanma-Marquez Rematch Eyed For August, Says Arum

Faulks

Juanma-Marquez Rematch Eyed For August, Says Arum

By Jhonny Gonzalez

A rematch is being between Juan Manuel "Juanma" Lopez (30-0, 27KOs) and Rafael Marquez (39-6, 35KOs) is being considered for the month of August. Top Rank's CEO Bob Arum told Carlos Gonzalez that he reached an agreement with Marquez's promoter, Fernando Beltran of Zanfer Promotions, to do an August rematch if both fighters are successful in their upcoming commitments.

"Everything is in order. We have an agreement with Fernando Beltran, who is the exclusive promoter of Marquez to fight in August," Arum said. "Marquez is planning to fight in March. If they both do well in their fights, then we would do a rematch in August."

Juanma will defend his WBO featherweight title against Orlando Salido on April 16 in Puerto Rico.

In their first meeting last November in Las Vegas, Marquez injured his shoulder and was unable to come out for the ninth round. Juanma received a TKO victory after an exciting battle. Marquez felt the referee cost him a possible knockout victory in the fourth round. The Mexican boxer had Juanma in serious trouble and was trying to finish him off. The ref stopped the action to take away a point from Juanma for a foul and in turn it gave the unbeaten boxer a chance to recover.

http://www.boxingscene.com/juanma-marquez-rematch-eyed-august-says-arum--35558?

No Gamboa fight this year. Disappointing but not unexpected.

Reading between the lines always says a lot.

I feel that Gamboa and Lopez (after his Salido fight, which I absolutely want to see) have shared enough opponents.

Frankly, I am getting tired of the building up a fighter ideology that the promoters and managers have.

Its total crap!

Boxing, I hope will one day take a turn for the better.

The author is being a little too kind to the first fight, it was surprising mostly because people expected Juanma to splay Marquez all over the Ring...........if you'll remember the expectations for a truely competitive fight were somewhat low.When it provided a few fireworks early, it was magnified when set against that backdrop. But even at the depths of the fourth round assault, there really wasn't a point where I though Marquez might actually prevail, and by the end I thought the issue clearly settled. I see this as a needless rematch and simply a delaying tactic to put off the Gamboa fight. I continue to wish for Bob Arum's departure from the living.

P.S. We're already a week into Feb., are we sure that Bob will have sufficent time to put this this fight on in August mlol/