TIMOTHY BRADLEY: 'DEVON ALEXANDER WANTED OUT; NO REMATCH'

Faulks

TIMOTHY BRADLEY: 'DEVON ALEXANDER WANTED OUT; NO REMATCH'

'Desert Storm' reflects on the 'Super Fight' to Danny Flexen

TIMOTHY BRADLEY, who picked up the WBC title to add to his own WBO strap on Saturday night when he defeated fellow unbeaten Devon Alexander via technical decision, has hit out at critics who blamed him for the many head-clashes which took place during the contest. These contributed to cuts which saw Alexander ruled out in the 10th round, but Bradley believes he would have won regardless.

“He had a tricky style,” Bradley explained. “I was the aggressor the whole fight, he was holding a lot and that caused a lot of the butts. I couldn’t land all the big shots I wanted to but I looked at the fight, and, well, you’ve got to ask him, I don’t like to say bad things about a fighter, but looking at the tape, he looked frustrated and wanted out. Everyone can make their own judgement – but nine out of 10 people would say he wanted out.”

Bradley, now targeting a unification clash with Bolton’s WBA king Amir Khan, admits that the he won the fight as much by negating his rival’s strengths as asserting his own advantages

“We knew he couldn’t take pressure, I think that was the key,” Bradley remarked. “I was always in his face, never gave him time to think, breathe or use his jab. I’m always hard on myself and I think I could have done a lot more. I was really tensed up trying to hurt him, to find that big shot instead of throwing my punches naturally. But I know in rounds 10-11-12, I’d have let my hands go naturally, been a little bit more blazing, thrown more combinations.

“Devon is usually a very high-volume puncher – he throws 80-100 punches per round, but I shut him down to 40-50. I don’t get a lot of credit for my defence but he never hit me with something big. The fight left a sour taste in my mouth because I really wanted to put on a great show for the fans. I really wanted Devon to fight me but our styles just didn’t mesh at all.”

Immediately following the fight, Alexander referred to a rematch clause in the bout agreement and insisted he wanted a return. Bradley is equally determined that match-up will not be his next assignment.

“Not at the moment, I think the fight would have the same outcome,” Bradley opined. “He can’t beat me regardless. In the ring, I was smiling at times, I was thinking, ‘This guy don’t wanna’ fight.’ I forced my will on him, simple as that; there wasn’t a whole lot of thinking involved, it was pretty easy in there for me. I was expecting more from Devon.

“There is rematch clause but right now HBO are not interested at all in a rematch. I don’t think fight fans want to see that fight again, I think they’d like me against Khan or [Marcos] Maidana.”

http://www.boxingnewsonline.net/BN08/detail.asp?id=2220

I don't understand, how is it at the TV company's discretion? I've never heard that before.

because its HBO's choice to buy or not buy the fight. there isnt enough money to do a rematch without HBO (and there is probably some non-competition clause to keep showtime from picking it up, which i doubt they would want anyways). basically, if HBO said that they wanted the rematch, bradley and alexander would be obligated to fight each other, or face a hefty lawsuit

disgustingly, HBO also is obligated to give alexsquinter a $1.25mill comeback fight if they decide not to do the rematch... excuse me while i vomit.

If Devon got a rematch clause, I'm pretty sure it'd be tied to the WBC. If Tim wants to tell Devon to go away, he'd just have to give up te WBC belt again. No big deal, he never lost it the 1st time he won it. By all rights, he should tell Devon to go away and go after Khan next.

I don't understand, how is it at the TV company's discretion? I've never heard that before.

because its HBO's choice to buy or not buy the fight. there isnt enough money to do a rematch without HBO (and there is probably some non-competition clause to keep showtime from picking it up, which i doubt they would want anyways). basically, if HBO said that they wanted the rematch, bradley and alexander would be obligated to fight each other, or face a hefty lawsuit

disgustingly, HBO also is obligated to give alexsquinter a $1.25mill comeback fight if they decide not to do the rematch... excuse me while i vomit.

Hang on, if I've lost my belt and the contract says I get a rematch, I want my rematch regardless of whether someone will televise it - I can be world champion again. I can't see that HBO has the right to decide a fighter's career path to that degree - they can refuse to show it as part of any deal they may have, but actively prevent a fighter taking a rematch? I can't see how.

It's amazing how poorly HBO spends it's money, a guarantee to Devon Alexander of $1.25 Million in the event that a Bradley fight ISN'T worth airing??? Were they niavely thinking that Devon might win that convincingly that it wouldn't be worth a rematch? To guarantee that type of money to a fighter that isn't exactly the most "TV Friendly" Fighter in the World is nuts......Don King played HBO like a violin on this one, if true.

Hang on, if I've lost my belt and the contract says I get a rematch, I want my rematch regardless of whether someone will televise it - I can be world champion again. I can't see that HBO has the right to decide a fighter's career path to that degree - they can refuse to show it as part of any deal they may have, but actively prevent a fighter taking a rematch? I can't see how.

i get what you're saying, but the money is with HBO. assuming the contract with HBO allows it, shaw & king could do a small independent PPV for the rematch... but there is no money in that. i suppose they could fight in an office building with commission members present... but there is no money or honor in that.

It's amazing how poorly HBO spends it's money, a guarantee to Devon Alexander of $1.25 Million in the event that a Bradley fight ISN'T worth airing??? Were they niavely thinking that Devon might win that convincingly that it wouldn't be worth a rematch? To guarantee that type of money to a fighter that isn't exactly the most "TV Friendly" Fighter in the World is nuts......Don King played HBO like a violin on this one, if true.

HBO are acting like amateurs. its embarrassing.