Khan heading for biggest UK fight since 2008

Faulks

Khan heading for biggest UK fight since 2008

ESPN staff

Amir Khan will attempt to stage the biggest UK stadium fight in over two years when he bids to unify the light-welterweight titles in 2011.

Khan is currently looking for an opponent for an April 16 date at the MEN Arena, with Paul McCloskey, Junior Witter, Lamont Peterson and Kell Brook all linked to a WBA light-welterweight title bout.

Whoever eventually steps into the ring with Khan will be widely expected to get soundly beaten, as the Briton sets his sights further ahead to a unification bout with the division's No. 1 fighter, Timothy Bradley. American pugilist Bradley holds the WBO and WBC crowns, making for a potential blockbuster showdown with Khan in July.

Bolton-born Khan has already confirmed he would like to unify the titles in front of his home fans, and manager Asif Vali admits it would be big business on a par with Ricky Hatton's 56,000-strong crowd at Eastlands if the bout comes together.

"We'd like the fight in the UK and bringing Bradley over with his two titles to unify the belts would be awesome," said Vali in the Daily Mirror.

"It could be a stadium fight, like Calzaghe-Kessler in Cardiff or Hatton-Lazcano. It could attract those kind of numbers. The broadcasters are proposing dates in July and if they want it in the UK, they'll make it happen

http://www.espn.co.uk/boxing/sport/story/71754.html?CMP=OTC-RSS

I can safely say that this fight is never going to happen in the UK, as much as he says it will or he would like to.

It's a headline from nothing, and I don't think there's even a quote in there to suggest any hint of it happening in the UK.

He's come back to Britain to fight a soft "nothing" fight against whoever wants to pick up the lowest cheque, and then he'll be back to the US, where he's gathering decent recognition, and while he'll never be big box office over there, he'll still make more money than having the fight primetime UK.

I don't think Bradley is afraid to travel, but for the biggest LWW fight in years, it's going to happen in the US.

Without a doubt.

I can safely say that this fight is never going to happen in the UK, as much as he says it will or he would like to.

It's a headline from nothing, and I don't think there's even a quote in there to suggest any hint of it happening in the UK.

He's come back to Britain to fight a soft "nothing" fight against whoever wants to pick up the lowest cheque, and then he'll be back to the US, where he's gathering decent recognition, and while he'll never be big box office over there, he'll still make more money than having the fight primetime UK.

I don't think Bradley is afraid to travel, but for the biggest LWW fight in years, it's going to happen in the US.

Without a doubt.

Agreed. I think an easy money fight in the UK, prior to taking on Bradley in the US.

Apparently, Khan is in talks with Bradley now for a fight with him in July. Roach tweeted him on twitter asking why he didn't announce the fight today. Anyone know if his account is legit?

Freddie_Roach Freddie Roach

@Amirkingkhan "whats happening u Said u Will ANNOUNCE the fight today??? Did hé ask for stupid numbers again?"

Roach has been quoted previously as saying he doesn't own a computer, doesn't know how to turn on a computer. I highly doubt he's on twitter. Just because Khan may be replying, don't take that to mean anything either - Khan's not very bright, and previously had an extended online argument with a fake Timothy Bradley.