Scott’s money well spent

Faulks

Scott’s money well spent

February 03, 2011

Scott Quigg from the Collyhurst and Moston Boxing Academy spent £4,000 of his own money to travel over to the WildCard gym in Los Angeles in order to gain more experience in his quest to become a world class boxer.

Scott made the same journey last year with one of the young coaches from the gym, Mike Clarkin, and left a wonderful impression on everyone in the world-acclaimed gymnasium with his boxing and bravery.

"Jessie Reid was a trainer of world champions and I had become friends with him while I was in Las Vegas with Mickey Duff 30 years ago," said Collyhurst and Moston’s head coach, Brian Hughes MBE.

http://menmedia.co.uk/middletonguardian/sport/boxing/s/1406916_scotts_money_well_spent?rss=yes

"However, on this recent visit to the WildCard in Los Angeles, Jessie had left the gym and opened his own, so Scott trained there for the six weeks he was in America.

"Quigg sparred each day and boxed the roughest, toughest Mexican and Americans in this harsh environment. These fighters were very intimidating, especially when they saw the baby-faced youngster from the UK. But their staring and loud talk did not frighten Scott. If anything it made him more determined than ever."

After one session, where Quigg boxed five exciting rounds with an experienced lightweight, the entire gym ceased what they were doing and watched intently.

At the conclusion of the sparring they all applauded loudly.

Hughes added: "Afterwards, many were coming up to me asking me questions regarding Scott. They could not believe that this young ‘Limey’ could box and punch the way he did."

Quigg boxed superbly in every session against really tough professionals and he is hoping to use his experiences to his advantage.

"I am hoping to box for the British and European championships very soon," said Quigg. "And this was great preparation for when I eventually do."

Reid, who has trained and managed some of the best, was gushing in his praise for Quigg.

"Scott came over last year and I was surprised how well he boxed in the WildCard gym," he said. "But he has improved leaps and bounds.

"You Brits have a future world champion in Scott. And I do mean world champion."

Reid wanted Scott to remain in America, but Hughes explained that he had to return to the British Isles and get ready for a championship challenge.