Anything is possible with when the WBC is involved.

edsel77x

Leonard went on to become a FIVE division titlist when he beat Donnie LaLonde for the WBC Lightheavyweight title, and since both men agreed to come into the fight weighing 168, the fight was also for the vacant WBC Super Middleweight title. Usually, what is the weight limit for a Lightheavyweight fight?

Great trivia question.

Does anyone have any insight on this?

Very interested in hearing about the politics.

I have a feeling the fight was for the Lalonde's (175 lb) light heavyweight title, but because the then new (168 lb) WBC super middleweight title was also on the line, the fighters had to make that 'limit'.

The politics are interesting, and something I don't know about. I imagine that the fact it was Sugar Ray chasing another weight division title and there was a lot of money floating about greased the WBC's wheels.

Sugar Ray Leonard is a two weight World champion.

- He won the WBA light middleweight title against Ayub Kalule and then moved back down (this is similar to what Ricky Hatton did when he moved up to welterweight and beat Collazo and then moved back down).

- He won the WBC middleweight title from Hagler and never defended it. Big win, don't get me wrong, but not a long title reign.

- He beat Lalonde for both the super middleweight and light heavyweight titles despite weighing in 10lbs under the light heavyweight limit.

- The WBC and WBO super middleweight titles were on the line when he fought Hearns for the 2nd time, but he only weighed in at 160lbs (Hearns at 162lbs).

- He then defended the super middleweight title against Duran weighing 160lbs (Duran 158).

So i would say he's a legitimate World champion at welterweight and middleweight.

Sugar Ray Leonard is a two weight World champion.

- He won the WBA light middleweight title against Ayub Kalule and then moved back down (this is similar to what Ricky Hatton did when he moved up to welterweight and beat Collazo and then moved back down).

- He won the WBC middleweight title from Hagler and never defended it. Big win, don't get me wrong, but not a long title reign.

- He beat Lalonde for both the super middleweight and light heavyweight titles despite weighing in 10lbs under the light heavyweight limit.

- The WBC and WBO super middleweight titles were on the line when he fought Hearns for the 2nd time, but he only weighed in at 160lbs (Hearns at 162lbs).

- He then defended the super middleweight title against Duran weighing 160lbs (Duran 158).

So i would say he's a legitimate World champion at welterweight and middleweight.

:-)