David Haye To Return on May 21 at The 02 Arena

Faulks

David Haye To Return on May 21 at The 02 Arena

By Rick Reeno

BoxingScene.com has been advised that David Haye's likely return will take place on May 21 at the 02 Arena in London. Haye (25-1, 23KOs), the WBA heavyweight champion, was ordered to face his mandatory Ruslan Chagaev. There is considerable doubt over Chagaev's ability to box in the UK. The British Boxing Board of Control is reviewing Chagaev's medical records and Haye's team expects a decision in the next couple of days.

Due to his struggles with Hepatitis B, the British Board had previously denied Chagaev's ability to box in the UK. The BBBoC issued a letter in June 2009 which rejected Chagaev's application.

As previously reported on BoxingScene, Sky Sports is very interested in a pay-per-view doubleheader that would feature Haye on top, and Carl Froch defending his WBC super middleweight title against Glen Johnson in the co-feature. Froch-Johnson, a semi-final bout in the Super Six tournament, is scheduled to take place on the same date. Contrary to other published reports, Froch is not contractually bound to the Primetime network.

I'll probably buy it, for the Froch fight alone, but if Haye ends up reverting to form and fighting some nonsense opponent again, I'll be streaming it for sure.

Yer the Froch fight you know is gonna be good, Is always great when Haye fights despite being inactive 90% of his fights are very exciting.

Ringside seats? How much would that cost?

...Am I the only one thinking that this "lets Haye off the hook"? He can now face anyone that WBA will let him in with as Sky could sell it as a British double header no matter Haye's opponent.

I'm still thinking it'd be hilarious if the Chagaev fight got forced through in a foreign country...imagine if K2 won the purse bids and put it on in Ukraine or something, that'd be hilarious.

I'm kind of with Skav on this one, I think they're expecting Haye to be fighting a suspect opponent and looking to "piggyback" it onto a Froch fight that looks to be a winner.

It goes to show that they backed the wrong horse so far.

Sales may justify their side with Haye to an extent, but he hasn't delivered at all since signing with Sky.

On the other hand, you have Froch tucked away in obscurity on a PPV channel fewer people watch, yet still getting reasonable sales without any hype or promotion whatsoever.

I only hope Froch wins and continues his trend of fighting top class opponents, and doesn't succumb to the "Sky Sports Blueprint" of squeezing every last coin out of punters, and throwing him in with piss-poor opponents.

I hope this doesn;'t com,e off, as if Froch is fighting johnson over here I'd love to go see that, but if Haye's on the card I won't, because I vowed never to give him another penny from the moment he announced Harrison.

Good for you, Gav!!! Froch's earned your support, David Haye had it and lost it, he did it to himself and hope more people follow you lead.

Anybody that rates David Haye above Carl Froch in the British rankings should be ashamed. Froch is an absolute credit to boxing (especially British boxing) and David Haye is a boxing pariah. I've followed both of these guys' careers since the start. Froch has impressed me continuously and i've never gone off him. Haye impressed me until his moved up to HW. I can't be bothered with Haye anymore, but i will continue to sing the praise of Froch even if/when he loses. I like boxers that fight challenge after challenge (win or lose). That, is Carl Froch.

As Dave says, this seems to be a case where Haye is expected to fight a below par HW next so they'll let him leach off of Carl Froch so people actually buy it.

I hope this doesn;'t com,e off, as if Froch is fighting johnson over here I'd love to go see that, but if Haye's on the card I won't, because I vowed never to give him another penny from the moment he announced Harrison.

Good for you, Gav!!! Froch's earned your support, David Haye had it and lost it, he did it to himself and hope more people follow you lead.

I doubt it - the sheer number of experienced boxing fans(people who've been to more title fights than I've had cups of coffee) who bought the Harrison fight on PPV and then complained bitterly about deserving a refund because Harrison was hopeless, plus the endless numbers of people who slag off Frank Warren's "big" shows but then pay to attend and then complain it was Frankie Gavin v knockover job etc. suggest willpower is a commodity in short supply these days. That or principles.

The trouble with boxing now is that everyone wants to be paid a fortune from the get-go, everyone wants TV money, 60% of the gate etc. As a result, the ticket prices go through the roof even for relatively minor fights and personally I don't make enough to attend more than maybe one big fight per year if I'm lucky.

Boxing used to be a sport for the everyman, now it's the sport of kings and we're the ones who have to pay the ransom.

I doubt it - the sheer number of experienced boxing fans(people who've been to more title fights than I've had cups of coffee) who bought the Harrison fight on PPV and then complained bitterly about deserving a refund because Harrison was hopeless, plus the endless numbers of people who slag off Frank Warren's "big" shows but then pay to attend and then complain it was Frankie Gavin v knockover job etc. suggest willpower is a commodity in short supply these days. That or principles.

The trouble with boxing now is that everyone wants to be paid a fortune from the get-go, everyone wants TV money, 60% of the gate etc. As a result, the ticket prices go through the roof even for relatively minor fights and personally I don't make enough to attend more than maybe one big fight per year if I'm lucky.

Boxing used to be a sport for the everyman, now it's the sport of kings and we're the ones who have to pay the ransom.

goodp//

Spot on Gav!

Although all sport seems to be going the same way...football being a prime example, boxing has always been a working man's sport.

It's been bought up as a plaything by the tv networks to milk as much money out of it as they can before it dies a death as an obscure sport, tucked away on PPV where noone can even see it.

It's sad times for all sports, but it's more evident here, where boxers are no longer warriors first.

They're all businessmen first, and won't even take a challenge if there's no PPV pot, or £1000 ringside seats.

Some of it is just getting too much...