5 Reasons why Manny Pacquiao will Defeat Floyd Mayweather

edsel77x

With the Manny Pacquiao vs. Floyd Mayweather fight picking up steam once again - although it's far from completed - once again fans of both fighters are making their case for why their man should win the bout. Here are the top 5 reasons why Manny Pacquiao will defeat Floyd Mayweather should the two meet this fall.

1. Pacquiao fights for more than himself.

Every time Pacquiao comes to the ring he knows that his entire country is watching. That’s a lot of pressure. However, it helps Pacquiao fight better because he doesn’t want to let his country, family and fans down. I think that’s why we always see Pacquiao dig deeper whenever he’s in trouble in a fight. Mayweather, on the other hand, gives off the impression that he only fights for money and really could care less about the fans.

Mayweather loves to brag and alienate people. There’s a large amount of people who buy Mayweather fights hoping this is finally the fight where he not only loses, but gets hurt. When Mayweather starts winning rounds, most of his opponents basically give up. Pacquiao won’t fold because when he thinks of the poverty back home in his native Philippines, he can’t imagine himself bringing more sadness to his people, which would happen if he lost the fight. The majority of people want to see Pacquiao win the fight and that will be the difference.

2. Mayweather has never faced the speed/power combination that Pacquiao possesses.

The closest fighters to Pacquiao that Mayweather has faced are Zab Judah and Shane Mosley. Judah had Mayweather in trouble through the first four rounds of their fight before he did what has come to symbolize his career, he faded under pressure.

Mosley came close to knocking Mayweather out, but couldn’t finish him. Everyone got excited after seeing what Mosley did to Margarito, but Mosley has been declining ever since the two Winky Wright fights at 154. I believe a prime Mosley finishes Mayweather. Manny Pacquiao is still in his prime and in every fight he keeps getting better. If he gets a chance to finish Mayweather, he is going to take it.

3. Pacquiao gets stronger in the later rounds.

Do any of us know how Mayweather will respond going into the 11th round of a close fight? Mayweather hasn’t really been in a close fight going into late rounds since the first Jose Luis Castillo fight. Meanwhile, we know Pacquiao is going to fight to the last bell. Look at his two fights with Juan Manuel Marquez and his fight with Erik Morales. Pacquiao had Miguel Cotto, who I consider one of the toughest men in sport, running from him in the later rounds because he didn’t want to take any more punishment. Mayweather is going to look across the ring and see a man who he knows will be there in the 12th round, still punching and looking to finish him. I’m not sure Mayweather will respond well to the constant pressure.

4. The Southpaw Style.

It is worth noting Mayweather has had difficulties against southpaw fighters. The Judah fight has already been mentioned, but if you recall DeMarcus Corley buzzed Mayweather in their fight as well. Mayweather even mentioned during his press conference after the Mosley fight that Corley hit him harder. Yes, Mayweather did handle Sharmba Mitchell, but Mitchell was already on the decline after his two fights with Tszyu. Neither Corley nor Judah have the controlled aggression of the southpaw style that Pacquiao brings to the fight.

5. Manny can box now.

Pacquiao isn’t the one handed slugger/brawler we saw during the early part of his career. He’s knocking out guys with his right hand now, and he’s boxing effectively. A big part of that credit goes to trainer Freddie Roach, but also to Pacquiao for wanting to put the work in to become the best fighter in the world. I don’t think Pacquiao can beat Mayweather boxing, but he can win some rounds against Mayweather and keep Mayweather from figuring him out immediately.

http://www.proboxing-fans.com/5-reasons-why-manny-pacquiao-will-defeat-floyd-mayweather_070710/

Just the one reason why Mayweather wins.

The stumpy armed Pakow wont get past Mayweathers long armed 72 " reach, the way the long armed Corley, and 73 " reach Judah did. He'll be eating straight right hands or the same double left hooks Judah ate.

Mayweather is by far the superior fighter, who adapts to whatever is in front of him, by fighting with his brain. Pakow is just another busy fighter, with no strategic brain.

McBride, post three more reasons why Mayweather would win.

The two reasons (jabs and or straight right hands, and ring generalship) you posted are a very convincing argument.

Not that I am totally convinced that Mayweather wins, but if the fight happens and depending on who wins, then one of us could appear to be a soothsayer.

In my opinion it is a 50/50 fight, and is totally down to whoever's style can dominate the others' on the night.

It may sound pretty obvious, but both guys have attributes and key traits that can both win them the fight.

Speed: Pacquiaio > Mayweather

Power: Pacquiao > Mayweather

Defence: Mayweather > Pacquiao

Footwork: Mayweather > Pacquiao

Output: Pacquiao > Mayweather

Combinations: Pacquiao > Mayweather

Accuracy: Mayweather > Pacquiao

Discipline: Mayweather > Pacquiao

Chin: Arguably Mayweather > Pacquiao, but neither guy has a poor chin. Manny's has just generally been more open to test.

Stamina: Mayweather = Pacquiao

Heart: Pacquiao > Mayweather (again, arguably)

In my opinioon, this fight will come down to the combination of a few things;

1. Offence vs Defence.

Floyd will come in with his usual large gloves, which will make it more difficult to catch him cleanly, and given he has fast head movement and footwork to get himself out of a bad situation pretty quickly, can Manny pressure him enough to get off a good amount of combinations.

To counter this, Floyd generally throws less punches, but normally lands them right on the money, to give his opponents something to think about if they just charge forward.

Manny will throw more. That much I don't think is on doubt, and ultimately it may come down to how many of these land on the gloves or how many Floyd can get away from while returning enough of his own.

2. Size

Given Manny has recently beaten Margarito, Cotto and Clottey, I think few people would be inclined to believe this could be a deciding factor. However, I still think than Manny being a naturally smaller man, with a much smaller reach, may find it difficult to get beyond Floyd's jab, as Floyd has a fast and reaching jab which can hit the target before Manny is even in range.

Floyd doesn't often have to deal with pressure fighters, particularly when they also have accuracy and power to go with it. Can he keep Manny at bay? That's the big questionmark this fight will answer.

3. The referee

Many fights are taken out of the referees hand, and the best fights happen when two fighters are just left to their own devices.

Neither guy is known for spoiling or clinching in the main, and I feel that if the fight is left to pan out naturally, then we will see the best of both guys.

However, if we end up with an over-zealous referee in the mould of Joe Cortez, who wants to play as much a part in the fight, as the two boxers involved, then I think this favours Floyd.

Ultimately, Floyd will start with the natural advantage and it will be Manny's job to try and do something about it.

He will have to cut down the ring, he will have to get beyond the jab and he will have to land crisp, accurate flurries from up close.

If Floyd clinches when they're up close, it may negate much of what Manny has to counter the long jab, and he may find it difficult to get into the fight if the referee keeps setting them apart, because that sets up Floyd for some natural rangey attacks.

My heart says Manny can do it.

Floyd's inactivity and a real lack of top quality opponents in recent years have basically allowed him to control fights.Few fighters have been able to control the pace when Manny is involved, because his output can be frightening.

Manny needs to fight his own fight, while Floyd is able to adapt to many styles.

Whether he can adapt in time to overcome the inevitable onslaught, is definitely up for debate.

My head says that Floyd has all the natural advantages and if he can control the pace of the fight, he will win the fight. If Manny takes it to him, then we may see him in some genuine trouble, which is a rarity as far as Floyd is concerned.

I'd like Manny to win, but I have a tendancy to lean towards Floyd if I'm realistic about what both men bring.

I'm not wholly convinced by the "Pacquiao fights for the fans/his country" line - the only fighter I can remember seeing who truly thought of his fans is Morales, who would box beautifully and then decide, as he did against Pacquiao, to go to war because it was better entertainment. A certain amount of that is probably just Morales' insane attitude to machismo, but he really did seem to want to entertain even if it meant risking everything.

Is it fair for a fighter to request over sized gloves to negate any advantage his opponent might have?

In essence, what that is saying is, I can't handle the power, or, I can sit here all day and pot shot you to death while you try and fight me with gloves you are not accustomed to using.

I understand making demands on certain things, ring size, locale, hell they even pick he judges and referee right.

I guess what I am trying to say is if you really want you could very well stack the cards in your favor virtually taking a fighter out of the fight even before the fight has started.

It might be a part of boxing now but it really stinks.

How will we ever know who's who in boxing.

Sure I'll fight you. after you weight drain yourself and give me the mental and physical advantage, then we can fight in my back yard, with a judging panel of my peers, and a ref my father went to school with.

Legitimate Legends are things of old.

Is it fair for a fighter to request over sized gloves to negate any advantage his opponent might have?

In essence, what that is saying is, I can't handle the power, or, I can sit here all day and pot shot you to death while you try and fight me with gloves you are not accustomed to using.

I understand making demands on certain things, ring size, locale, hell they even pick he judges and referee right.

I guess what I am trying to say is if you really want you could very well stack the cards in your favor virtually taking a fighter out of the fight even before the fight has started.

It might be a part of boxing now but it really stinks.

How will we ever know who's who in boxing.

Sure I'll fight you. after you weight drain yourself and give me the mental and physical advantage, then we can fight in my back yard, with a judging panel of my peers, and a ref my father went to school with.

Legitimate Legends are things of old.

If they did ever fight, then I'm sure Manny would have his own gloves and Floyd would have his own too.

And they will be very much different than each other.

Floyd tends to go for oversized gloves to help in the defence department, which in itself is not a bad thing. It's his style and he's as well to avoid any disadvantages, just as Manny should do the same. He will go for smaller gloves to try and cause more damage.

We do unfortunately live in a day and age where this sort of thing happens, and when the ins and outs of a fight are eventually put down on paper, it may well hugely favour one guy over another with a collection of little things which DO add up.

I'm sure neither guys advisors will allow this to happen in this case though.

I DID NOT SAY HE WAS A BRAINLESS BRAWLER.

I said he was just another BUSY fighter without a STRATEGIC brain.

You really ought to read what people write instead of applying your own prejudice to what they actually write.

What he does is move in throw a bunch of punches, and move out again, rinse and repeat. Fine against bugs and earwigs like Marg, Clottey, and what was left of Cotto, after Marg ruined him. Not remarkably successful against even Marquez, and certainly not good enough against a fighter of Mayweathers adaptability.

You really ought to read what people write instead of applying your own prejudice to what they actually write.

What he does is move in throw a bunch of punches, and move out again, rinse and repeat. Fine against bugs and earwigs like Marg, Clottey, and what was left of Cotto, after Marg ruined him. Not remarkably successful against even Marquez, and certainly not good enough against a fighter of Mayweathers adaptability.

I don't think he needs to be an adaptable fighter to win this fight.

He just has to force the action, and stick to his regular style, which is easier said than done.

He doesn't win this by suddenly taking a tactical approach, because he'll basically be taking on the master of that "style."

He wins by volume or by power, both of which can be applied methodically without having to resort to brawling.

If he allows Floyd to control the fight, by NOT pressing the action, then he will have effectively signed the "L" onto his record himself.

I also don't think Cotto is finished as a fighter.

He was undone by two styles of fighter who counter everything he is good at, but it doesn't mean he's not capable of plenty more big wins, and I would still give Floyd a lot of credit for beating him now, if he did.

I would still class Cotto as Floyd's biggest scalp since Corrales and don't see any reason it can't happen, if he's not fighting Manny.

Referring to Margarito and Cotto as "bugs and earwigs" is disrespectful to their real ability, and is only said in retrospect of them losing. Few people managed to beat them beforehand and few people will beat them in the future, and I think both would have given Floyd trouble in their day.

It's still a shame it never happened.

I have always regarded Margarito, Clottey, and Baldomir, as bugs and earwigs, and always will. All 3 of them are slower than turtles, and are one dimentional. As far as i'm concerned Margarito was exposed when he got in with a 38 year old well past his prime, but the class he had was still there, and as i'm more than willing to accept he is the " best " of the 3 i mentioned it shows how bad the other 2 are.

As far as Cotto is concerned i'd give Mayweather no credit for beating him at any time from 2005 until 2 years from now. The reason he wanted him before is because he was convinced he'd beat him, and that is due to him being tailor made for Mayweathers favourite style, not fast handed, and easy to hit.

To the fight with Pakow should it happen, i have seen nothing from the fillipino that makes me think he will do any better at setting the pace, than the other 40 plus that Mayweather has faced. He has faced them all in his time, boxers, pressure fighters, punchers, but he always manages to fight at a pace he wants to fight at.

I have always regarded Margarito, Clottey, and Baldomir, as bugs and earwigs, and always will. All 3 of them are slower than turtles, and are one dimentional. As far as i'm concerned Margarito was exposed when he got in with a 38 year old well past his prime, but the class he had was still there, and as i'm more than willing to accept he is the " best " of the 3 i mentioned it shows how bad the other 2 are.

As far as Cotto is concerned i'd give Mayweather no credit for beating him at any time from 2005 until 2 years from now. The reason he wanted him before is because he was convinced he'd beat him, and that is due to him being tailor made for Mayweathers favourite style, not fast handed, and easy to hit.

To the fight with Pakow should it happen, i have seen nothing from the fillipino that makes me think he will do any better at setting the pace, than the other 40 plus that Mayweather has faced. He has faced them all in his time, boxers, pressure fighters, punchers, but he always manages to fight at a pace he wants to fight at.

I wouldn't say he's done it every time.

Castillo took him by surprise in the first fight, by setting a frantic pace, and arguably (no argument in my book) beat him as a result.

Mosley and Judah also both had their moments, but ultimately (and Castillo too in the second fight) they couldn't do it for the full duration.

I'd also argue whether he's faced a real variety of any sort of quality above 135 lbs, so while he's almost always looked good against everyone he's faced, there is still a question-mark about whether he can do it against real quality bigger guys.

Obviously Manny doesn't fall into this category, but he has a combination of skills which I would say mean he is NOT one-dimensional, and he carries power, decent accuracy AND pace/volume.

I don't think you could class any opponent in the same or similar category of skill, and though I do agree that Floyd would likely win through, given his natural advantages, it is by no means a foregone conclusion, and it's a task a hundred times tougher than anyone he's faced in the past 5 years imo.

As far as i'm concerned the reason he has made it look so easy is because of his superiority, not because of who he has fought. You dont get someone reckoned to be a top 10 fighter in the world, and make them look useless after a 21 month lay off, and i'm not in the slightest bit interested in the weight nonsense his detractors waffle about. What he did was box Marquez' ears of because he is a different class of fighter, f**k all about Marquez weighing 142 instead of his usual 140 or whatever he generally weighs.

He did the same to Hatton, and Mosley, and he's done it to all he has faced, with the exception of Castillo 1. Only desperate people hang on to the fact that Judah had his moments, once Mayweather adapts to what is in front of him, he just cruises away from the other guy.

Based on knocking over a shot Hatton, a soiled Cotto, a weight drained Oscar, and outboxing two plums in Clottey, and Margarito, i dont see anything Pakow has got to trouble a superior fighter like Mayweather.

As far as i'm concerned the reason he has made it look so easy is because of his superiority, not because of who he has fought. You dont get someone reckoned to be a top 10 fighter in the world, and make them look useless after a 21 month lay off, and i'm not in the slightest bit interested in the weight nonsense his detractors waffle about. What he did was box Marquez' ears of because he is a different class of fighter, f**k all about Marquez weighing 142 instead of his usual 140 or whatever he generally weighs.

He did the same to Hatton, and Mosley, and he's done it to all he has faced, with the exception of Castillo 1. Only desperate people hang on to the fact that Judah had his moments, once Mayweather adapts to what is in front of him, he just cruises away from the other guy.

Based on knocking over a shot Hatton, a soiled Cotto, a weight drained Oscar, and outboxing two plums in Clottey, and Margarito, i dont see anything Pakow has got to trouble a superior fighter like Mayweather.

One thing which I see in Manny, giving Floyd real trouble, is Manny's constant head and body movement.

He isn't static and he isn't slow and he isn't easy to hit.

Floyd relies on his own accuracy and movement, and he's going to find a tough time hitting the target vs Pacquiao imo.

While I may agree with you about his superiority over the guys he has beaten, I can't accept your reasons for knocking Manny's opponents, because I can equally find as many reasons or more to knock Floyd's opponents.

You may want to call Cotto soiled, or Hatton shot, but equally you can say Mosley was shot and Marquez was soiled because he was fighting a guy 11 and a half pounds heavier than his previous opponent.

We can both go on all night finding reasons to knock the opponents across both of their records, but it doesn't change the fact that Pacquiao has, on the whole, being doing it against a higher calibre of opposition throughout his career, particularly in the past 5 years.

You "might not see anything in Pacquiao that would trouble Mayweather" but I don't think you could argue that he would be the best opponent Floyd has ever faced, and even if you could find an argument against it somehow, "Doing" matters a whole lot more than the theory, and if he does it, then I'll have no problem giving him the acknowledgement and credit that it deserves.

I'm fed up of having to "speculate" on who Floyd may or may not have beaten though.

The guy should have been doing it.

I didn't say that you said that directly.

There was a reason why I put the word "basically" in my last post. It it used when somebody sums up something. That's my English lesson to you today. Whether you don't directly describe him as that, that is exactly what you did! Fact!

And yet, your following paragraph is about ME not reading correctly?

"Rinse and repeat?"

Pot, kettle, black?

And please stop going on about Marquez as if Mayweather completely embarrassed Manny with his victory.

Flooyd struggled with Castillo...Hatton beat Castillo with ease...oh yeah things don't work like that...after all Castillo had aged, plumped up and just like Marquez, was flabby for the fight with Floyd...

I know, I know childish arguement but the case is similar (not the same, Castillo was certainly on the slide) but it's triangular logic, which we know better than to assume holds true in boxing.

I didn't say that you said that directly.

There was a reason why I put the word "basically" in my last post. It it used when somebody sums up something. That's my English lesson to you today. Whether you don't directly describe him as that, that is exactly what you did! Fact!

And yet, your following paragraph is about ME not reading correctly?

"Rinse and repeat?"

Pot, kettle, black?

And please stop going on about Marquez as if Mayweather completely embarrassed Manny with his victory.

I hope you live near a building supplier with the amount of shovels you must get through.

Your half witted opinions are not fact, and never will be, despite what Mummy and Daddy might have told you.

If i had wanted to say Pakow was a brainless brawler, or thought so i would have said as much. I dont need some jumped up arrogant twerp to tell me what he thinks i meant, basically or otherwise.

As for Mayweather making Marquez look a fool and embarassing Pakows ability, get your tongue out of his arsehole if you think that isn't the case.

I just bet thats in the top ten tapes at the wild card gym, Roach would really start waffling if that was played. mlol/ mlol/ mlol/

Flooyd struggled with Castillo...Hatton beat Castillo with ease...oh yeah things don't work like that...after all Castillo had aged, plumped up and just like Marquez, was flabby for the fight with Floyd...

I know, I know childish arguement but the case is similar (not the same, Castillo was certainly on the slide) but it's triangular logic, which we know better than to assume holds true in boxing.

Exactly true.

And that's not just me sticking by Manny, some people are undeniably sticking by Mayweather if they cannot see the conditions that went with that bout.

Just like when Manny fought Oscar, there were major catches.

It proves zilch!

When Floyd beats Marquez at his own weight, or Marquez gets accustomed to 147, then we'll talk about the chances of it embarrassing Manny. But neither scenario will never happen!

[You may want to call Cotto soiled, or Hatton shot, but equally you can say Mosley was shot and Marquez was soiled because he was fighting a guy 11 and a half pounds heavier than his previous opponent.

If Mosley is so shot how come he is next up for the wonderful, and faultless Pakow?

Remind me please when Marquez ever took such a beating the he quit on his knee like Cotto did v Margarito, thus making him soiled goods.

I never take criticism of a fighters record based on what fights the critic wants, or wanted to see seriously, for one simple reason. What makes their opinion any more worthy than anyone elses?

You can only go on what happens in the fights. Mayweather beats Oscar, at his comfortable weight, Pakow then fights him at a weight he hasn't had to make for 7 years.

Mayweather stops Hatton, Pakow fights him.

Mayweather beats Mosley, Pakow wants him, perhaps he will try for JMM next , who knows?

[You may want to call Cotto soiled, or Hatton shot, but equally you can say Mosley was shot and Marquez was soiled because he was fighting a guy 11 and a half pounds heavier than his previous opponent.

If Mosley is so shot how come he is next up for the wonderful, and faultless Pakow?

Remind me please when Marquez ever took such a beating the he quit on his knee like Cotto did v Margarito, thus making him soiled goods.

I never take criticism of a fighters record based on what fights the critic wants, or wanted to see seriously, for one simple reason. What makes their opinion any more worthy than anyone elses?

You can only go on what happens in the fights. Mayweather beats Oscar, at his comfortable weight, Pakow then fights him at a weight he hasn't had to make for 7 years.

Mayweather stops Hatton, Pakow fights him.

Mayweather beats Mosley, Pakow wants him, perhaps he will try for JMM next , who knows?

Nobody's excusing the Mosley fight. Arum and Pacquiao know that he's shot and that's why they are fighting him now.

I also don't believe that many people give Manny credit for the Oscar win, either.

The praise for Manny really started when he beat Cotto, not the overrated Hatton.

Correct grapevine, the excuse for the false hero worship being that Pakow was the " smaller " man. Even though Ray Charles could see that Oscar was a skeleton, and Pakow was the heavier man in the ring.

Hattons punch resistance was so bad that every time Lazcano caught him he was wobbling all over the shop, but because he beat the non punching Maliggnagi, he was credited as being at the top of his game.

Cotto had been given a savage beating by Margarito, but even that wasn't enough for team Pakow, just to make sure his latest cash cow was victorious, Arum allowed them to ask for a 145 limit on Miguel.

The other 2 plums are not worthy of comment, and next up is Mosley. Yet this guy is given a free ride whilst Mayweather gets slaughtered for who he has fought, and who opinionated nobodies think he should fight, or have fought.