Calzaghe tips DeGale for crown

Faulks

Calzaghe tips DeGale for crown

»

James DeGale has the respect of former champion Joe Calzaghe © Getty Images

Enlarge

Joe Calzaghe believes James DeGale has the power to beat George Groves, should the planned bout between the two finally go ahead.

Olympic champion DeGale is widely expected to fight Groves in the defence of his British super-middleweight title early this year, although the two camps are currently still in dispute over the financial aspects of any potential contest. But if the fight does go ahead as eventually expected, Calzaghe narrowly backs the 24-year-old Englishman to emerge victorious in a close affair between two undefeated brawlers.

"DeGale is an excellent fighter," Calzaghe said. "I think Groves is obviously a good fighter as well, so it's going to be an even match but who knows? I suppose DeGale would be the favourite if they were to fight now, but we will see."

Groves, whose team have been accused of trying to duck the bout, maintains that such doubts will only spur him on to cause an upset.

"If everyone has me as underdog that is only going to give me more drive to win," the 22-year-old said.

http://www.espn.co.uk/boxing/sport/story/69985.html?CMP=OTC-RSS

Calzaghe sit's on the fence but maybe leans towards DeGale with his "I suppose DeGale would be the favourite if they were to fight now, but we will see."

Either way, it is a close fight and would be right up there on the domestic front.