David Diaz Ready For War This Friday, Wants Marquez

Faulks

By Joe Harrison

On Friday night, former WBC lightweight champion David Diaz will face Robert Frankel in a scheduled ten-round contest at Windy City Fight Night 15 at the UIC Pavilion in Chicago.

Born and raised in Chicago, Diaz, 35-3-1 (17 KOs), has fought some of the best names such as current pound-for-pound king Manny Pacquiao and current WBC lightweight champ Humberto Soto. Diaz also holds victories over Mexican legend Erik Morales and former two-division champion Jesus Chavez.

When Diaz faces Frankel, 27-9-1 (4 KOs), this Friday, he knows he will be facing a man who is coming off of six straight victories but has also been inactive since March of 2009.

“He’s a tall fighter, he punches straight forward,” said Diaz. “I won’t make the same mistake others fighters make, I will definitely be ready for him. I know he’s coming in with heart and determination.”

When asked if he was looking to stay busy or if he had any goals, Diaz made his intentions crystal clear.

“I want to be champion again,” Diaz replied. “People used to refer to me as “champ” and it felt good. I want that feeling again. Hopefully I come out okay after this fight so I’ll be ready for whoever wants to take me on. I won’t turn anyone down.”

“Juan Manuel Marquez is the best lightweight and I’m aiming for the top. That would be an awesome fight, Marquez and me.”

“I’m thankful for my fans who always support me. They can find me on facebook and twitter. This year will be fun.”

Presented by Dominic Pesoli’s 8 Count Productions, WINDY CITY FIGHT NIGHT 15 also features outstanding Chicago based prospects; light heavyweight Andrzej Fonfara, 15-2-1 (6KO’s), undefeated welterweight Jaime Herrera, 5-0-0 (3KO’s), hard hitting welterweight Achour Esho, 9-0-0 (6KO’s), exciting newcomer, junior welterweight Genaro Mendez, 3-0-0 (2KO’s) and former amateur standout, junior welterweight Ramiro Carrillo, 3-0-0 (2KO’s),

Rounding out the card, outstanding undefeated Russian prospects, junior welterweight Aslanbek Kozaev, 13-0-0 (5KO’s) and welterweight Anton Novikov, 18-0-0 (6KO’s), are scheduled in separate six round bouts.

http://www.boxingscene.com/david-diaz-ready-war-this-friday-wants-marquez--35123?