Could the face of boxing be about to change?

iamasadlittleboy

A recent move made by TV broadcaster HBO could be about to change the whole scope of the boxing world. Recently they decided to show Sergio Martinez’s fight with Sergiy Dzinziruk instead of the Miguel Cotto fight with Ricardo Mayorga on the same night, this has already to repercussions that boxing fans will be aware of, Manny Pacquiao’s fight with Sugar Shane Mosley will be shown on Showtime, a giant coup you may think for Showtime, though it could well be the first in a string of major fights on Showtime. It seems as if HBO’s decision has angered one of the promotional power houses of professional boxing, Bob Arum, the head of Top Rank who appears as if he’s taken his ball and carried it to Showtime’s play ground.

Continued

http://hubpages.com/hub/What-the-HBO-and-Bob-Arum-rift-could-mean

very good but there are two things i was thinking about while reading:

1, pacquiao will always be on PPV (until his career takes a dive or something like that). the pacquiao-mosley PPV (and cotto-mayorga) is going to be produced by showtime, but it's not necessary to be a showtime subscriber to order the PPV (just like one doesnt have to be an HBO subscriber to order an HBO PPV). so im not so sure that this is as big of a coup for showtime as it may seem.

2, golden boy is often tied to HBO but they have done many fights on showtime such as hopkins-pascal (which, if im not mistaken, had one of the highest ratings for showtime boxing last year... HBO's highest rating i believe was cotto-foreman). so i dont think that the HBO & golden boy vs. showtime and top rank war is as clear cut as it may seem.

i guess we will have to wait and see how well the two showtime PPV's do. as for the question posed at the end: top rank already wont work with golden boy, so i dont think the networks matter that much as far as the relationship between the promoters is concerned

Pascal is linked to Showtime and Hopkins was a free agent was he not? (http://www.boxingnewsonline.net/BN08/detail.asp?id=2139, Can he define the current state of his troubled relationship with Golden Boy? “It is what it is. We had our heated conversations about what should’ve happened after Pavlik. But I’m a free agent. I’ve been a free agent for three years. But I’m also a shareholder in Golden Boy. I can keep those shares as long as I like.”) Pascal is with a Canadian promoter (hence why that was on showtime)

CBS are putting a lot behind the Pacquiao v Mosley fight with a CBS docu-series as well

Pascal is linked to Showtime and Hopkins was a free agent was he not? (http://www.boxingnewsonline.net/BN08/detail.asp?id=2139, Can he define the current state of his troubled relationship with Golden Boy? “It is what it is. We had our heated conversations about what should’ve happened after Pavlik. But I’m a free agent. I’ve been a free agent for three years. But I’m also a shareholder in Golden Boy. I can keep those shares as long as I like.”) Pascal is with a Canadian promoter (hence why that was on showtime)

CBS are putting a lot behind the Pacquiao v Mosley fight with a CBS docu-series as well

pascal-dawson was on HBO. bhop may be a free agent but hopkins-pascal was co-promotion between golden boy and yvon

pascal-dawson was on HBO. bhop may be a free agent but hopkins-pascal was co-promotion between golden boy and yvon

golden boy is often tied to HBO but they have done many fights on showtime such as hopkins-pascal

Make up your mind! Either way he's a free agent with shares in GBP, so he's free to fight on either network and put GBP promotional stuff on their for advertising purposes of a company he owns shares in.

golden boy is often tied to HBO but they have done many fights on showtime such as hopkins-pascal

Make up your mind! Either way he's a free agent with shares in GBP, so he's free to fight on either network and put GBP promotional stuff on their for advertising purposes of a company he owns shares in.

what are you saying? golden boy does fights on both HBO and showtime, they have no exclusive deal. whether or not hopkins is free agent is irrelevant, his last fight (vs. pascal) was a co-promotion between golden boy (hopkins) and pascal (yvon michel)... so even if hes a free agent, golden boy is still promoting him.

You said they (Bhop v Pascal) fought on showtime...then you said the same fight was on HBO...I can't say I remember which it was on but he's not tied to Golden Boy promotionally. He's made his frustrations well known in the fact that GBP didn't capitalise on the Pavlik win and only holds shares (the same as Mosley does) in GBP

You said they (Bhop v Pascal) fought on showtime...then you said the same fight was on HBO...I can't say I remember which it was on but he's not tied to Golden Boy promotionally. He's made his frustrations well known in the fact that GBP didn't capitalise on the Pavlik win and only holds shares (the same as Mosley does) in GBP

i wrote pascal-DAWSON was on HBO, pascal-HOPKINS was on showtime.

hopkins frustrations with golden boy are well known (most of them coming from schaefer and de la hoya calling for hopkins retirement after the crapfest that was hopkins-jones II), and he may be a free agent, but what im saying is doesnt matter because golden boy is still promoting his fights, even if its on a fight-by-fight basis.

Bob Arum's Decision To Move Fights From HBO To CBS/Showtime Good For Boxing

By Leo Reyes (Featured Columnist) on January 26, 2011

Bob Arum with Manny Pacquiao and Coach Freddie Roach

Bob Arum's recent decision to move Top Rank's boxing fights from HBO to CBS/Showtime is seen by boxing insiders as a good move for boxing after years of limited exposure from regular TV programming.

For almost three decades, boxing has been mostly seen on cable TV with very little exposure on regular TV networks.

Although few details were made on the specifics of his arrangement with CBS/Showtime, it was announced earlier the Manny Pacquiao-Shane Mosley fight will be shown on CBS/Showtime and not anymore on HBO.

With Bob Arum's partnership with CBS/Showtime, the upcoming Pacquiao-Mosley fight will now have a viewership reach of over 130 million. HBO has reportedly over 30 million subscribers while CBS has over 100 million.

The CBS/Showtime deal is a "shot in the arm" for boxing, a dying sport waiting to be resuscitated.

"It was a bold move, but it was a risk that needed to be done for boxing. CBS would give them a broad marketing leeway and bring boxing back to the limelight. It would open up bigger and exciting fights with more exposure for up-and-coming fighters," sa.com reports.

Bob Arum seems to know exactly the right time for the right deal, and he knows for sure Pacquiao's popularity is enough to lure the CBS/Showtime people to grab the opportunity.

Do you think Bob Arum's decision to move his fights from HBO to CBS/Showtime good for boxing?

Manny Pacquiao brought back excitement and inserted a different blood into boxing. If there is a time for merger, the time is now.

You can never go wrong with Manny and his humility and all-out fighting style, but the idea is always greeted with a letdown. HBO never really cared about boxing. It’s because they were never threatened, the sa.com report added.

Arum, who considers CBS Corp. president and CEO Les Moonves a friend, said it has not been determined exactly how CBS will be involved.

But similar to what HBO did with its “24/7” series, Showtime is going to produce a four-part series that will follow the fighters on the buildup to the match that it calls Fight Camp 360.

The episodes, Arum said, will air live on CBS first and then on Showtime, except for the final one. That one, which will run through the weigh-in, will be on Showtime live first and then will be repeated on May 7, the day of the fight, on CBS, Yahoo News reports.

There have been reports that the CBS Morning Show would be based in Las Vegas the week of the fight, but Arum said that is premature.

“We’re working with CBS to see which assets will be available, but I have a firm commitment from Les Moonves that he will lend his full support to this project,” Arum said.

Arum said the reason networks seem indifferent with boxing is they don't know how to market it or they think its not sellable and have not sold it for so long.

The Hall of Fame promoter believes he is one step closer to revitalizing the sport he loves best.