Fury vs Botha Feb 19th

Joe Ko

Tyson Fury will continue his education against veteran heavyweight Francois Botha at Wembley Arena on February 19.

The undefeated Briton will appear on the Hennessy Promotions bill that features Lenny Daws' British light welterweight title defence against Ashley Theophane.

The 6ft 9in slugger has been calling out every domestic heavyweight, with little success, leaving the door open for the 42-year-old 'White Buffalo' to step up.

"Botha's an experienced and very tough fighter and not a man to be taken lightly," said Fury.

"He has shared the ring with some truly world class fighters in his time and experience is a big factor in boxing.

"But to be the best I must overcome all obstacles that I'm presented with, like him, I will never shy away from fighting an opponent."

Botha has lost only to the best - with Michael Moorer, Mike Tyson, Lennox Lewis, Wladimir Klitschko and, just last year, Evander Holyfield besting the South African.

"This old man is coming to England to give him a boxing lesson," said Botha. "He is a young up and coming star in the UK but look at who he's fought and look at who I've fought - and hopefully the UK will have a great fight as long as it lasts.

"I hear that Tyson is a good fella and maybe I'll share a beer with him after he wakes up from the knockout the White Buffalo is going to impose upon him."

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,12183_6694915,00.html

Thoughts, I think its a good step up, he fitness seemed good against Zack Page, and he didnt gas at all just controlled the fight with his jab.

Just a payday for Botha.

I thought Fury was meant to be fighting the Canadian champ? Was alot of talk about it awhile back.

The other guy doesnt want the fight cause he would get beat badly, Fury is a big prospect now he actually has a proper training team, Steward said all his fighters would go to California to train with Cotto.

Just a payday for Botha.

I thought Fury was meant to be fighting the Canadian champ? Was alot of talk about it awhile back.

The other guy doesnt want the fight cause he would get beat badly, Fury is a big prospect now he actually has a proper training team, Steward said all his fighters would go to California to train with Cotto.

I'm glad he's hooked up with Manny Steward. The one thing that concerned me about Fury was that there wasn't a proper team around him before. Now he'll get the proper sparring, training and guidance.

Not too sure about this one, it could go either way - it may challenge Fury, or he'll breeze it. However, the fight that I'd like to see is Harrison v's Fury. This fight would be genuine to both fighters and may stir a little intrest in the domestic HW scene.

Tyson Fury has fought 13 bouts which consist mainly of journeymen and British level fighters. Botha is 42 but has challenged for World titles numerous times and has shared with ring with modern greats. I can't see Botha winning but this is a good progress fight for Fury. He needs a few fights like this then should move on to British and European honours in the next 12 months.

Tyson Fury has fought 13 bouts which consist mainly of journeymen and British level fighters. Botha is 42 but has challenged for World titles numerous times and has shared with ring with modern greats. I can't see Botha winning but this is a good progress fight for Fury. He needs a few fights like this then should move on to British and European honours in the next 12 months.

Agreed. This is a good test. Yes, they are both out of shape, but when have they ever been in shape?

Fury's struggled with some journeymen so there is that danger there that he could lose. But more likely that he'll be victorious with valuable experience under his belt.

A good name for his record. I can see the logic in it. The british domestic heavyweight scene could be an intriguing watch in the not too distant future with Fury, Price, Towers and Dallas all looking to get Chisora's British crown. Plus there's Olubamiwo in there and the likes of Harrison, Sprott Sexton and Rogan still knocking about.

These guys might not be of the highest calibre, but I think we could see some good scraps in this division. And the intial 4 I mentioned above are all, young, tall and powerful and will look to make the step to European and World level!