Floyd Mayweather Jr. VS. Alexis Arguello....

grapevine241

mayweather jr. vs. arguello @ super featherweight... who do you think wins this?

mayweather & arguello are arguably 2 of the top 3 super featherweights of all time (along with azumah nelson)... so how do you see this playing out?

12 rounds vs. 15 rounds...?

IMO, mayweather wins it by late stoppage due to his accuracy. i dont think 12 or 15 rounds makes much of a difference because ive never seen mayweather tired in the ring before & hes always in excellent shape. but i could also see arguello winning by KO as well.

what do you think?

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
I think I'd have to go for Mayweather just because Aaron never fought anyone with those sort of defensive skills possesed by Mayweather. Funnily enough the only 2 undefeated fighters Pryor faced were both bangers like him so were kind of tailor made for him.

• 2 weeks later...
Footwork would be the key here I reckon.Any fighter that provided a stationary target for Arguello usually ended up taking a bad beating.If there was one thing that bothered Arguello more than anything then it would be a fighter with good movement.Vilomar Fernandez was able to upset a prime Arguello doing so and Pryor enjoyed his greatest success during the middle rounds where he was up on his feet and creating angles for Arguello to deal with.

Footwork would be the key here I reckon.Any fighter that provided a stationary target for Arguello usually ended up taking a bad beating.If there was one thing that bothered Arguello more than anything then it would be a fighter with good movement.Vilomar Fernandez was able to upset a prime Arguello doing so and Pryor enjoyed his greatest success during the middle rounds where he was up on his feet and creating angles for Arguello to deal with.

-------- That was a 14 rd firefight, not a battle Floydy has ever shown he could wage at the frentic pace Pryor set.

Excellent point about Pryor that few know to appreciate, his excellent boxing skills that he seldom needed until the Arguello fight.

Floydy never came close to fighting anyone of Arguello's class much less beating them. I saw Jesus Chavez take it to him in spades as did Augustus and a plain old simple tough guy Carlos Hernandez damn near had him in tears. And then Castillo of course.

Once Arguello got his feet under him, it took extraordinary circumstance to beat him.

Floydy defense a tough nut to crack, yet plenty have gotten to him and Arguello had the patience of a monk in waiting things out for the right moment.

Best to best, it's Arguello all day every day for this cowboy. Truth be told, I doubt Floydy would ever sign to fight a prime Arguello, so the results would be nonexistent.

Some of you guys need to watch Arguello ALOT more, this would be a very competitve fight. It'd help if we could have the statistics on PBF and AA, in the reach, height etc; as I've often felt that precise right hand bomber could feint PBF into rolling far enough into his shoulder roll with LJ's and fiented or thrown SR's, till PBF's in the position were he could be bombed by a right hand puncher with the leverage to reach PBF. By that i mean, Floyd's usual defensive manouver is to shoulder roll his weight onto his rear foot, left hand up and right across the body. This favoured first manouver places him in position to then if more shots come in to slip right/down or to roll under (to the left) outside a right hand or just throw a counter right.

Although Floyd as often glides of to the side, a long armed puncher like AA will give IMHO no peace in the pocket at all. He's simely to versatile with his fients and right hands, and the way he could track an opponents evasivly moving head (Kevin Rooney for eg.) and nail him dead with one right hand seems sadly underappreciated. Floyd's more versatile, but he'd ahve a HELL of a time dealing with AA's power and tools, I think being reduced to trying to win on points pot-shotting from the outside.

• 2 weeks later...
Some of you guys need to watch Arguello ALOT more, this would be a very competitve fight. It'd help if we could have the statistics on PBF and AA, in the reach, height etc; as I've often felt that precise right hand bomber could feint PBF into rolling far enough into his shoulder roll with LJ's and fiented or thrown SR's, till PBF's in the position were he could be bombed by a right hand puncher with the leverage to reach PBF. By that i mean, Floyd's usual defensive manouver is to shoulder roll his weight onto his rear foot, left hand up and right across the body. This favoured first manouver places him in position to then if more shots come in to slip right/down or to roll under (to the left) outside a right hand or just throw a counter right.

Although Floyd as often glides of to the side, a long armed puncher like AA will give IMHO no peace in the pocket at all. He's simely to versatile with his fients and right hands, and the way he could track an opponents evasivly moving head (Kevin Rooney for eg.) and nail him dead with one right hand seems sadly underappreciated. Floyd's more versatile, but he'd ahve a HELL of a time dealing with AA's power and tools, I think being reduced to trying to win on points pot-shotting from the outside.

nice analysis :-)