Prescott: Khan is Obviously Afraid

WelshDevilRob

Prescott: Khan is Obviously Afraid

Colombian slugger Breidis Prescott says that Amir Khan’s selection of EBU Champion Paul McCloskey for his next opponent just proves he is afraid.

WBA Junior Welterweight Champion Khan is currently hoping HBO and Sky Sports will agree to broadcast the fight given McCloskey’s low profile and long-shot chances of winning.

“What does it tell you that he’d go around me, the man who beat him, to instead face a much lighter hitting and unknown fighter he thinks he can beat? Obviously Amir Khan and his team realize I would knock him out if we fought again.”

For those who don’t recall, Prescott (23-2, 19 KOs) turned off Khan’s lights in 54 seconds in September 2008 at the M.E.N. Arena in Manchester.

“This could become a public relations disaster for Khan,” warned Prescott co-promoter Leon Margules of Warriors Boxing. “Lamont Peterson priced himself out of a fight with Khan, so instead of looking for redemption against my guy, Khan’s team is trying to sell a probable mismatch victory for their guy against McCloskey to the television networks. I pointed out before that Marcos Maidana (whom Khan defeated in his last fight) knocked out Victor Ortiz and Peterson could only get a draw against him. Fighting Peterson instead of Prescott was questionable… Fighting McCloskey is just an obvious admission they know they can’t beat my guy.”

Prescott maintains hope that Khan will forget this attempt at an easy payday and go back to the business of being a world champion.

“Amir, I remain ready, willing and able to give you a rematch. I won’t price myself out of the fight. You’ll have no trouble selling it to TV. Stop this running and do what the fans want you to do and what your legacy as a great fighter demands that you do: fight me.”

Source:

http://news.gofightlive.tv/

I would actually much rather see the Prescott fight than the McCloskey fight.

Redeeming a loss always sits well in my book, and given the lightning fast ending to their last bout, it would give the bookies something to mull over if nothing else.

Completely agree. Also, its a much bigger fight interms of PPV. Alot easier to market than a fight against McCloskey, who is barely known to boxing fans let alone casual sports fans.

Fans will be buying it because of Khan, unless they get an opponent like Judah, Maidana or Mayweather the sales aren't going to increase by too much more. In fact I'd say McCloskey is an easier sell, he's unbeaten, it's Ireland v England, RTE will be behind it, Irish based Mancs will be their, and McCloskey can speak English (hence help the promotion) something I don't think Prescott can do.

I can't say i'm too fussed either way. Khan vs Prescott would be interesting and would be pretty easy to sell (although i see IAM's points). If it happens we can finally put to rest whether Khan can avenge his only loss (for the record, i would have Khan winning by KO by the middle rounds in style) but if it doesn't happen, no big deal. Prescott seems to have been a one hit wonder. He hasn't done anything since his big win over Khan and has had every opportunity to.

I'd say that when the loss in question is a close early UD or SD loss to someone that you've gone well beyond, it's not worth wasting your time, particularly when you've gone on to better things.

When the loss in question is recent, and was a blowout inside a minute, I can see perfect sense in avenging it.

Prescott may not be a great fighter, and can easily be outboxed, but this hasn't changed since the first time they fought...

Khan may have improved, but I find the rematch intriguing, especially when it would be at the expense of a McCloskey bout, which doesn't interest me at all.

The chances of me forking out £15 on any of Khan's fights, is highly dependant on the opponent, and I'm sure the rematch with Prescott would sell at least 50% more than a McCloskey bout, unless they lump it in with another big fight again, like Sky tend to do with Khan. Who's fighting April 16th? It's almost a cert that someone significant will be thrown in with the Khan card imo.

I can see the arguments on both sides. On a personal level I'd like to see the fight as I think khan would school him this time round. Might shut a few of the hate brigade up as well.

There are decinatley a lot more meaningful fights out there though as a keep busy fight it would be a good one. Plus would sell well to Joe public