Sylvester-Bouadla, Cunningham-Licina Double Canceled

WelshDevilRob

Sylvester-Bouadla, Cunningham-Licina Double Canceled

By Alexey Sukachev and Inna Lagun

According to several German sources (particularly to Sportal and ARD), this Saturday’s IBF middleweight championship between reigning champion Sebastian Sylvester (34-3-1, 16 KOs) and optional challenger Mehdi Bouadla (21-3, 10 KOs) is off due to a viral infection contracted by the titleholder.

“I feel myself extremely listless and exhausted”, said the champion. “The doctor put a halt on my plans to defend on Saturday. I’m very disappointed,” said the champion.

It’s for the fourth time in just a month when a banner fight, either of the German pugilist or which was scheduled to take place in Germany, is being canceled due to health issues after the Dimitrenko vs. Sosnowski, Klitschko vs. Chisora and Braehmer vs. Shumenov meltdowns.

Update: According to ARD, the entire card is being canceled which means that the IBF cruiserweight showdown between champion Steve “USS” Cunningham and mandatory challenger Enad Licina isn’t happening as well.

Source:

www.boxingscene.com

These cancellations seem to be more and more common. I'd like to think they're a coincidence but as we were talking about on the Billy C show today, fighters nowadays don't even need to get a neutral doctor/physician on the scene to comment on their illness. They get their own doctor (so not at all neutral on the subject) to vouch for them.