McCloskey brands Team Khan offer 'ridiculous'

WelshDevilRob

Team Khan have a very bad reputation for supposed "lowball" offers though.

i.e. less money than many fighters normally get for regular fights, let alone a PPV world title fight.

I think Khan is probably trying to do like Haye did vs Harrison, and maximise the amount of dough he can make for himself on what will likely be a poor overall card....

Then again, a boxers idea of a "ridiculous offer" isn't always anything of the sort.

Could be another "million pound slave contract" that's been put on the table for all we know...

Is it an undeserved chance? Mccloskey is European champion and has made several defences. Winning the EBU gets you a ranking wioth the WBC and presumaably goes some way with the other organisations, judging by the Harrison debacle. Khan himself only won the title off an undeserved chance.

Is it an undeserved chance? Mccloskey is European champion and has made several defences. Winning the EBU gets you a ranking wioth the WBC and presumaably goes some way with the other organisations, judging by the Harrison debacle. Khan himself only won the title off an undeserved chance.

Harrison took the chance, Khan took the chance, trying to negotiate may be the wrong thing to do because the chance could go, and Mccloskey wont get a world shot maybe for years.

Harrison took the chance, Khan took the chance, trying to negotiate may be the wrong thing to do because the chance could go, and Mccloskey wont get a world shot maybe for years.

He's WBC #4, with Olusegun and Chebah fighting soon for the mandatory position, meaning he's guaranteed to move up at least a place.

If Bradley wins, the belt is vacated and McCloskey has every chance of fighting for the vacant title, or even if he isn't given first shot (Morales is Silver Champ ffs), the winner will require to take on 2 mandatories before they can take a voluntary....his shot at the WBC title isn't far away anyway....

A year is a long time in boxing though.

He's WBC #4, with Olusegun and Chebah fighting soon for the mandatory position, meaning he's guaranteed to move up at least a place.

If Bradley wins, the belt is vacated and McCloskey has every chance of fighting for the vacant title, or even if he isn't given first shot (Morales is Silver Champ ffs), the winner will require to take on 2 mandatories before they can take a voluntary....his shot at the WBC title isn't far away anyway....

Still doesn't grant him a shot at the WBA though. Only know down to #15 in the WBA rankings but Mccloskey doesn't feature...

Still doesn't grant him a shot at the WBA though. Only know down to #15 in the WBA rankings but Mccloskey doesn't feature...

Yes he does

SUPER LIGHTWEIGHT (140 Lbs / 63.50 Kgs)

World Champion: AMIR KHAN U.K.

Won Title: 07-18-09

Last Mandatory: 12-11-10

Last Defense: 12-11-10

WBC: DEVON ALEXANDER IBF: DEVON ALEXANDER

WBO: TIMOTHY BRADLEY

1. MARCOS RENE MAIDANA ARG

2. VICTOR ORTIZ USA

3. BRUNET ZAMORA (WBA I/C) ITA

4. ALBERTO MOSQUERA (LAC) PAN

5. PAUL McCLOSKEY U.K.

6. LAMONT PETERSON USA

7. VOLODYMYR KRAVETS UKR

8. ERIK MORALES MEX

9. ZAB JUDAH USA

10. VICTOR CAYO D.R.

11. PAUL MALIGNAGGI USA

12. BREIDIS PRESCOTT COL

13. YOSHIHIRO KAMEGAI JPN

14. TIM COLEMAN USA

15. JOSESITO LOPEZ USA

From WBAonline, December Rankings

The point I was making is that a world title shot isn't too far away for him anyway.

I'm not saying he should ignore the Khan challenge, as like I say, a year is a long time in boxing, and he could come undone at any point before he gets a shot.

It doesn't mean he should be short-changed by Khan either, in a move which would effectively jeopardise or end his WBC run.

December ratings must have just been put up. Was looking at ratings the other day on the WBA site and was only upto November.

Maybe Tim Coleman would be an option?

Coleman has a fight lined up with unbeaten Vernon Paris on the 29th Jan

Sorry for more spamming but I have a half decent piece on why this fight makes sense so please forgive me:

http://hubpages.com/hub/Why-Amir-Khan-v-Paul-McCloskey-makes-sense

Look at the end of the article to see all the busy fighters O_o

December ratings must have just been put up. Was looking at ratings the other day on the WBA site and was only upto November.

Sorry for more spamming but I have a half decent piece on why this fight makes sense so please forgive me:

I agree that the fight makes sense on paper, but I can't see anything beyond a lopsided Khan win in reality.

It just doesn't really get me going at all...I give McCloskey a 1% chance of winning.

I agree that the fight makes sense on paper, but I can't see anything beyond a lopsided Khan win in reality.

It just doesn't really get me going at all...I give McCloskey a 1% chance of winning.

Which means that theirs no chance of it derailing the one we all want anyway...the WBA IIRC have an annoying rematch thingy for champions who lose which would totally mess things up.

McCloskey's Manager: Team Khan Difficult, Fight Slipping

By Mark Vester

Francie McNicholl, manager for unbeaten British champion Paul McCloskey, has fired back at some of the recently published comments from Team Amir Khan. There are ongoing negotiations to have McCloskey face Khan on April 16 for the WBA junior welterweight title at the MEN in Manchester. The two sides have been unable to agree on the money, but there is more to it.

McCloskey's management claim that some of the contract clauses are unreasonable. One of them would contractually bind McCloskey to Khan Promotions/Golden Boy Promotions, if McCloskey pulled off the upset. McNicholl feels the fight is slipping away.

"It's probably slipping away to be honest," McNicholl told The Derry Journal. "Barry Hearns (Matchroom Chairman) is still in talks with them. We want them to stop wasting our time. Tell us is it for real?, Do you want the fight or not? And here's our terms if you want it to happen.

"Our demands are very reasonable. We could have looked for a lot more, but we would love nothing more than for Paul to fight Khan and he is very confident he can beat him. It's not our doing, it's not our fault if this dosen't happen. Their figures are an insult. His family call the shots, but they can't have their cake and eat it, they have to share it around."

McNicholl told the paper that he hasn't fully given up on the fight. Sky Sports has approved McCloskey as an opponent. Hearn is keeping the network up to date on the happenings.

""Khan wants someone who he'll beat easily and it will end up being a disappointment on pay-per-view like the Haye vs. Harrison fight. I'm not ruling the Khan fight out just yet," said McNicholl. "I'm flying over to London and I'm meeting with Matchroom on Wednesday and we'll hope to have it finalized. They have since softened the tone and while it's looking very doubtful, things can change. It's a volatile situation. Sky could turn around and demand the fight. They will give us an answer by Wednesday dinner time and we hope to finally have it resolved by then."

Source:

www.boxingscene.com

Don't think he's running scared in the slightest. I bet this is a decent enough offer but not what he wants. Khan holds all the aces here and the belt.

Out of interest how much do you think Paul makes on an average night? Obviously taking into account the more successful you are generally the more you earn

What's the deal with all these guys trying to retire on what they get for a title challenge instead of concentrating on actually WINNING the fight and THEN getting their proper reward? If McCloskey doesn't like the offer, then go back to fighting the guys you were and I'm sure Khan will have no trouble finding a substitute.

I suppose with the internet we (fans) get dragged through the negotiation process. I'm almost starting to yearn for the days of picking up my KO boxing magazine and finding out the results of fights that happened 4 months before, as nothing much was on TV except the odd fight on Grandstand on a Saturday morning. Certainly none of this back and forth with negotiations and fighters, who don't deserve it getting a wide audience e.g Kevin Johnson.

Paul would probably command a figure of about 50k for his fights in Derry shown on TV. H esells alot of tickets and is a very popular fighter over here. I am sure he is not looking for a retirement fund here. But people should understand that no matter how bad he wants the title and a shot at Khan, it is still a business and life decision. I highly doubt that he is looking for a major amount, and his fee is alot less than Khans advisors fees even. Every fighter should be treated fairly. I get the impression that many commenting on Paul know very little about him and have seen very little. He had a top class amateur record with Ireland and has a beautiful style and tonnes of ability. He finds it hard to get big fights so has spent two years manouvering a world title shot. This would blow all that out of the water. So does he take a meager fee to fight Khan for a worthless WBA belt and even if he wins lose control of his career, or hold out and win another fight or two for the same money Khan offered and take a shot at the more valuable WBC title that has at least had a history of quality Champions, he would then receive a fair amount on the purse bids , have the fight in Ireland more than likely and then he would have Khan desperate to fight him for the WBC anyways where he could negotiate a huge unification fight for huge money.

Anyone who has suported the recent wave of UK fighters while they effectively purchased belts cant open their mouth against a fighter like Paul looking after his own interests and ensuring he isnt rode by a jumped up pr*ck and his selfish family and promoters. Who wants to be a pawn in these peoples game, i certainly wouldnt?