De La Hoya: ‘Mayweather beats Pacquiao

Faulks

De La Hoya: ‘Mayweather beats Pacquiao

Golden Boy Promotions head honcho Oscar De La Hoya has picked Floyd Mayweather to come out on top of any future fight with current pound-for-pound king Manny Pacquiao.

Speaking on his Twitter page yesterday, De La Hoya said, ‘There is no doubt in my mind that Mayweather beats Paquiao.

‘Styles make fights and Mayweather will be patient to wait for Manny to make the mistakes. Manny is fast but Mayweather’s timing is key.

‘I respect Manny and he is great for our sport but Mayweather’s style will beat anyone if you don't have a stiff hard fast jab.’

Both boxers kept the boxing world on tenterhooks last year as the fight everybody wants to see never materialised and De La Hoya, who promotes Floyd Mayweather, went on to touch on his frustration in failing to negotiate a bout as well as seemingly laying the blame at the door of Team Pacquiao.

‘I'm also frustrated because I feel with Golden Boy promoting it each fighter can make huge money and it will be great fight.

‘I believe they both want to fight each other but I feel that right now Pacquiao is being squeezed and people are making money off him but once there are no more heavy bags, there will be no choice but to make the fight happen,’ said De La Hoya.

http://www.boxingfutures.com/news/0117-de-la-hoya-mayweather-beats-pacquiao

?

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If this is less credible than Arum claiming Pakow wins, then Oscar shouldn't have wasted all those years having 45 fights and winning world titles.

Of course he knows what he's talking about, and thinks the way to beat Pakow, is the way Mayweather fights, as opposed to the walk forward and get hit styles of Hatton, Cotto, Margarito, and Clottey.

If this is less credible than Arum claiming Pakow wins, then Oscar shouldn't have wasted all those years having 45 fights and winning world titles.

Of course he knows what he's talking about, and thinks the way to beat Pakow, is the way Mayweather fights, as opposed to the walk forward and get hit styles of Hatton, Cotto, Margarito, and Clottey.

I didn't say it was "less credible," I said it was "as credible," and anyone's fighting credentials have got nothing to do with it, when the person in question has their own agenda to fulfil.

Of course ANYONE can have an opinion, but it doesn't have to be credible or unbiased or legitimate, just as I take this from Oscar.

If he was simply talking as an ex-fighter, then it would be easier to take him seriously, but he is always talking with the promoters cap on nowadays.

And in any case, does it really matter anyway?

One guy saying someone will beat somebody else happens thousands of times a day all over the world.

Some are right, some are wrong.

You can listen to whatever ones you want, but it makes no odds to the actual outcome.

Incidentally though, I would never class Cotto as a "one-dimensional" come forward fighter, like you're trying to lump him in with those other guys.

That was a great win over a very versatile fighter.

The reason why Oscar said that, aside, I agree with him. Mayweather would beat Pacquiao based on styles and boxing history of pure boxers going against the pure fighter type.

However, it stll needs to happen for the sport, and then there's the fact that Pacqiuao hits from all different kinds of angles to make it interesting.

Too bad it won't happen unless Pacquiao loses, then Fraud will say sure.

Although I think mayweather would win he also said hatton would beat Pacquiao and mayweather before they fought...

And he certainly wasn't the only one. Plenty of people from all over the world though Hatton's style could beat Mayweather based on the success the smaller pressure fighter J.L.C. had in their fights. Out of interest who was favourite out of Pakow and Hatton?

As for Oscar, the fact that he IS an ex mutli weight title holding fighter gives his opinions more weight than most other peoples. Thats just common sense.

The fact that he mentions timing as being key, and also that the way to beat Mayweather is a good fast jab, tells you he is not just promoting his own fighter, merely talking styles.

Ffs, he has obviously changed his opinion based on the success he had against Mayweather with the jab, and realised it was far more useful than Hattons pressure style, with the benefit of hindsight.

Incidentally I dont think I said Cotto was " one dimentional " i said he walks forward and gets hit, which suits Pakow perfectly, just like Hatton, Marg, and Clottey did.

Oscar is a promoter first and foremost, despite his success as a boxer. What's important now and what supersedes everything is the fact that Oscar wants to be the promoter to handle Mayweather vs Manny fight. Every time Oscar mentions Floyd he puts B-12 on it hoping to get his cash cow to come forward and make the fight. Will not Oscar be benefiting from both fighters if the fight is made?

Blow a little smoke, build some confidence in Mayweather and the fight gets made. He wins. Also, Oscar want his revenge anyway he can get it. The best chance at it he has is by way of Mayweather.

Sounds like his plan.

I think Edsel has the right take on it. The Press still kind of treats it as Oscar the Boxer talking about two former foes meeting each other, but when we're talking about a guy with a vested interest in it, then his take should be viewed like any other Promoters....with a great deal of skepticism!

You could well be right, but i will always respect an ex boxers opinion on a fight than anyone elses, particularly promoters that never fought. Dont forget that both fighters beat Oscar, so if revenge is the angle, he doesn't give a toss who wins, he gets the promoters cut anyway.

And he certainly wasn't the only one. Plenty of people from all over the world though Hatton's style could beat Mayweather based on the success the smaller pressure fighter J.L.C. had in their fights. Out of interest who was favourite out of Pakow and Hatton?

As for Oscar, the fact that he IS an ex mutli weight title holding fighter gives his opinions more weight than most other peoples. Thats just common sense.

The fact that he mentions timing as being key, and also that the way to beat Mayweather is a good fast jab, tells you he is not just promoting his own fighter, merely talking styles.

Ffs, he has obviously changed his opinion based on the success he had against Mayweather with the jab, and realised it was far more useful than Hattons pressure style, with the benefit of hindsight.

Incidentally I dont think I said Cotto was " one dimentional " i said he walks forward and gets hit, which suits Pakow perfectly, just like Hatton, Marg, and Clottey did.[/quote

After thinking about it again, I actually agree with you, alot did think Hatton would beat Mayweather and possibly Pacquiao because of his size, although Pacquiao and Mayweather were definatly still favourites

Mayweather was a 1/2 favourite, and Pacquiao was about 1/4.

Clear betting favourites, not by a huge margin though...but I also agree, because I thought he had a chance against both guys for the very reasons you mention.

I don't think that Oscar's speaking purely from a bystanding spectators point of view, but if it's his opinion, then fair do's.

I think plenty of people could apply the same logic and the same clash of styles to different outcomes, but at the end of the day it doesn't bring us any closer to the fight actually happening, which is the biggest disappointment.

You've got a point B.B. but the way i see it we'd all like steak chips and peas but a lot of the time we have to settle for cottage pie.

I dont want to see one sided fights like Mayweather / Baldomir, or Mayweather / Marquez, anymore than i want to see crap with Pakow fighting sloth like planks of wood like Clottey, and Margarito, or even Cotto once he'd been severely battered.

However that is what the majority of fight cards are, rarely do we get the best against the best.

...At this point I'd make do with a burger, but instead it looks like we're getting stale chips served opposite an empty plate yet again! mlol/

Clottey was woeful, and that fight was only outdone by Haye vs Harrison, because Clottey at least made it to 12 without throwing anything!

The other 2 both had their dangers and they were good opponents imo.

Even if Margarito is a "come-forward" fighter, that in retrospect you can say was tailor-made for Pacquiao, very few fighters have been able to handle it and the fact is he made a much bigger volume puncher with generally great durability look weak and out of his depth, just as he did to Cotto.

I prefer to applaud the guy who's actually doing it, than the guy you expect probably would do it, but boxing and the fans are missing out purely because of politics for the umpteenth time.

It is a sad state of affairs...

You could well be right, but i will always respect an ex boxers opinion on a fight than anyone elses, particularly promoters that never fought. Dont forget that both fighters beat Oscar, so if revenge is the angle, he doesn't give a toss who wins, he gets the promoters cut anyway.

McBride-

Absolutely, and if Oscar were merely a retired fighter, and as the only guy who's faced both (I think, without looking for sure) then his opinion, if unbiased, blows everyone elses away. But it's just that he IS a Promoter and I don't know which of the two hats he's wearing when he's got a financial interest in the guy he's picking. Your absolutely correct in that you can't just dismiss it and I wasn't really suggesting that, but just that I don't know how much weight to give it (since he is involved with Floyd now, lost to Manny, and has hated Arum since they split).

I see your point dave, and agree with it in principle. Funny how so many people hate Arum, lol. I just believe there is no love lost between Oscar and Mayweather in fact pushed into a corner i'd say he thinks Pakow is the nicer of the 2, and its that that makes me think he is talking styles, rather than personalities.

I wasn't even aware of that Gav, but i'll say again I think DLH admires Pakow, he just believes Mayweathers style beats him, and its not rocket science. Everyone since Marquez has gone " looking " for the Fillipino, Mayweather wont. He'll wait and time him coming in.

Oscar thinks that is the formulae, obviously others dont agree.

You can look at plenty of previous quotes to suggest that it is the latter;

Now I have to wonder about him. I’m saying to myself, “Wow. Those Mosley punches, those Vargas punches and those Pacquiao punches all felt the same.” I’m not saying yes or no [about whether Pacquiao might be taking performance-enhancing drugs]; I’m just saying that now people have to wonder: “Why doesn’t he want to do this? Why is it such a big deal.”

http://www.nowboxing.com/2009/12/oscar-de-la-hoya-if-pacquiao-has-nothing-to-hide-take-drug-test/5801/

I’m now convinced Cotto will win…Cotto has a good chin and a big heart. He’s a natural welterweight who hits hard and is also smart and fast. Pacquiao doesn’t hit hard enough to knock anyone out in the welterweight division.

http://www.boxingnews24.com/2009/11/news-de-la-hoya-picks-cotto-to-beat-pacquiao/

(Also contradicting himself, as above...)**

...when asked what he though of the Pacquiao vs Margarito fight, De La Hoya criticized;

"Boxing is made up of classes"

"Stick to your weight classes."

You fought Hopkins at a catchweight I reminded him...

"What weight class?" asked Oscar

158 I replied.

"Well, yeah, that was the arrangement you know"...

http://www.doghouseboxing.com/Gabriel/Montoya072710.htm

Take the original comment in this article seriously if you want, but I'm content to lump it in with everyone else's opinion on the matchup, because Oscar's opinion is no more significant than anyone else's, infact going by his track record, I would bet on a Pacquiao win..!

mlol/

Care to post the comments made by DLH in the build up to the Mayweather fight?

Is De La Hoya the only person in boxing that has asked the question, what has Pakow got to hide, after he refused blood tests?

To the best of my knowledge Pakow has only fought one Welterweight, and he didn't knock him out, so unless you legitimise Catchweights, again DLH is hardly lying is he?