Greatest Chin

edsel77x

Lets see here...,

1. Evander Holyfield, for being a naturally smaller man taking heavy, heavyweight punishment.

2. I liked Bert Cooper and the slugfests he would get just about anyone into. He took just as good as he gave. Even though he would eventually taste the canvas several times, but not before he took massive punishment. Then too, getting back up and taking and giving more.

3. Ray "Merciless" Mercer. Lennox, Morrison, and Holmes each detonated what looked like a 10lb fist of C4 on his chin and he and he weather it like no other.

4. "Big" George Foreman. I still think that Ali got lucky knocking him down.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hE893HSRf6c?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hE893HSRf6c?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Here are some interestning facts I found on youtube of all places. I have yet to start on there careers.

Top 5 best chins:

5-Jake Lamotta (If its not enough most say, "Lamotta has never been knocked down" and its not that he was floored only 4 times of 106 fights, and one of them was a dive, nothing is)

4-Harry Greb (knocked down 7 of 298 fights)

3-Marvin Hagler (his controversial lack-of-balance one time fall is only controversial, not because he got knocked down or not, but because it was a one time event)

2-Julio Cesar Chavez (first down, 91st fight)

1-George Chuvalo (first down, 93rd fight)

I would have to disagree with Bert Cooper having a good chin.

I will not contest your cognition of the sport..., He then ate a lot of hard shots that would have sent me in the fetal position instantaneously.

I saw him take shot after shot from Evander and Moorer and I was just thoroughly impressed. Brute of a guy. No mouthpiece...

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xrs65JZzMIk?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xrs65JZzMIk?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Gerry Penalosa! (sick of saying this) has one of the greatest chins known to man, stopped once thanks to his corner pulling him out against Juanma who was huge compared to him. Went 12 with Ponce De Leon as well

McCall

McCullough

Agree with you on all of them.

Sad that the last memory I have of McCullough though is him quitting on his stool.

A prime McCullough would have gone out fighting no matter what, never mind against second rate opposition...

Fighters from the past:

Kid Gavilan

Jake LaMotta

George Chuvalo

George Foreman

Rocky Marciano

Marvin Hagler

Muhammad Ali

Sugar Ray Robinson

Fighters of recent times:

Johnny Tapia

Marco Barrera

Erik Morales

Micky Ward

Gerry Penalosa

Shane Mosley

Oscar de la Hoya

Manny Pacquiao

Juan Manuel Marquez

Joe Calzaghe

Glen Johnson

Carl Froch

Arthur Abraham (broken jaw against Miranda)

Evander Holyfield

Oliver McCall

Wayne McCullough

Vitali Klitschko

NOTES:

- I won't add Floyd Mayweather jr simply because he doesn't get hit enough for us to even know if his chin is that strong.

- I included Joe Calzaghe and Juan Manuel Marquez, controversially perhaps, because despite them both hitting the canvas on several occasions they both got straight back up and showed NO SIGNS AT ALL of being affected. They were flash knockdowns which didn't affect them in the slightest.

These are my names:

The Marvelous had a chin of granite (Mugabi, Hearns, and many more ........)

In the heavyweight division Oliver McCall.

Other boxers with a big chin were James Toney and Mike McCallum, and the great Bennie Briscoe.

In the lower weight categories 'Manitas De Piedra' Carbajal and Wayne McCullough.