Selcuk Aydin: "Berto can’t fight Ortiz – he has to face

WelshDevilRob

Selcuk Aydin: "Berto can’t fight Ortiz – he has to face me now!"

Turkish welterweight star Selcuk Aydin got really upset when he read speculations about Andre Berto’s next possible opponents without his name even mentioned.

"How can Berto and his promoter even talk to and about guys like Ortiz when they know exactly that they have to fight me first?", asks Aydin who is currently in his hometown Trabzon (Turkey) where he already started training for his world title fight. "This is very disrespectful and really pisses me off.. They know exactly that I am the mandatory challenger. I stepped aside once and allowed them an easy win over a stiff. Now they want to take the easy way out again by just discussing possible fights and completely ignoring me. I don’t understand this kind of behaviour."

Selcuk Aydin has been waiting for his title shot for one and a half years now and has earned his right to fight for the title the hard way. He won two elimination bouts against Said Ouali (April 2009) and Jackson Bonsu (July 2009) and beat "Jo-Jo" Dan Ion in a very close and exciting fight for the vacant WBC silver championship in June 2010 to secure his mandatory status.

Originally WBC welterwelight titlist Andre Berto was due to fight Aydin in November last year. Aydin and his co-promoters ARENA Sports-Promotion and Don King allowed the champ and his promoter Lou DiBella to voluntarily fight Freddy Hernandez in an intermediate bout. Still all parties agreed that the mandatory defense would be next without any other fights in between.

"If Berto still wants to duck me after almost two years he should just relinquish the title", states Aydin. "When I read about these plans of fighting some other guys I have lost all respect for him. He is not a real champion. He doesn’t fulfil his obligations. He should stop wearing the belt that I should have stripped from him a long time ago. I wonder how he can even look into the mirror."

The WBC has ordered a purse bid for the mandatory championship fight between Aydin and Berto to take place on Friday, January 28th 2010 in Mexico if the parties cannot reach an agreement until that date.

id rather see berto-ortiz tbh... aydin does nothing for me. not saying berto-aydin is a bad matchup, its just sort of bland

Aydin's got much more heart and determination than Ortiz

i reckon Berto would batter Ortiz

i agree, but i think he puts up a better fight than aydin who isnt anything special to me. ortiz seems to have slumped since maidana, but im still interested to see if he can make a comeback

really, berto's speed is too much for either IMO

id rather see berto-ortiz tbh... aydin does nothing for me. not saying berto-aydin is a bad matchup, its just sort of bland

Aydin's got much more heart and determination than Ortiz

i reckon Berto would batter Ortiz

i agree, but i think he puts up a better fight than aydin who isnt anything special to me. ortiz seems to have slumped since maidana, but im still interested to see if he can make a comeback

really, berto's speed is too much for either IMO

i would agree with this

the difference is i think Aydin would see the fight out to the final bell, i could see Ortiz losing by stoppage

Ortiz would suffer a stoppage defeat here and that'd be the end for him TBH.

Aydin looked crap again Jo Jo Dan (bloody robbery), he was dangerous for 6 rounds then plodded around and was knackered, Dan won the last 6 and you could make a case that he won 8 rounds. Berto will stop him too unless he walks onto one early.

you LOVE Jo Jo Dan!

that is all...

My mate mentioned Berto vs Ortiz on the phone this afternoon but must have misunderstood what he said cos I thought he was just suggesting the fight as an idea.

So, there have been talks about it?

I've got a major issue with Ortiz'z fighting attitude and the fact that he showed to be one dimensional against Peterson.

Berto is quite a weak champion but he should beat Ortiz. Why Ortiz would deserve a title shot on the back of a draw bemuses me.

My mate mentioned Berto vs Ortiz on the phone this afternoon but must have misunderstood what he said cos I thought he was just suggesting the fight as an idea.

So, there have been talks about it?

I've got a major issue with Ortiz'z fighting attitude and the fact that he showed to be one dimensional against Peterson.

Berto is quite a weak champion but he should beat Ortiz. Why Ortiz would deserve a title shot on the back of a draw bemuses me.

i wouldn't call him weak, i reckon he'd have the beating over most of the fighters in the division

just i think he'd come up short against Mayweather and Pacquiao

Ortiz is a 140 lbs fighter, who doesn't have a great recent record.

Aydin on the other hand is his longterm mandatory, unbeaten, hard-hitting genuine welterweight.

Berto is a pussy, pure and simple.

I'm fed up of the guy.

Very few fighters make me angry, but the obscene amount of money being thrown at him for absolutely f*ck all infuriates me...

Ortiz needs to be kept away from the better opponents for a while IMO or he's in danger of becoming the "New Fernando Vargas". He's already lost to Maidana and drawn with Peterson. He's 23 and has already had 32 bouts against some pretty good opponents. Maybe he needs a new trainer. Or maybe needs to get back to basics for a while and a few lesser calibre fighters to get his confidence back.

I have a lot of sympathy for Adin as the guys won TWO Eliminators already but the WBC keeps jerking him around. If his name was Chavez, then Berto would've been stripped and Adin declared Paper Champ long ago. For me, I'm kind of undecided which fight is better (Berto vs. Adin or Ortiz) but I do think that Adin's more deserving at this point. Let him on the Center Stage, Ortiz has already been there.

Btw, I hear that HBO balked at Berto-Ortiz, or at least they didn't like the Price of the Fight, so if they gave a thumbs down on Ortiz, then you KNOW they won't want to carry a fight with Adin. I get kind of tired of these TV networks kind of being pseudo-promoters!!!

Ortiz needs to be kept away from the better opponents for a while IMO or he's in danger of becoming the "New Fernando Vargas". He's already lost to Maidana and drawn with Peterson. He's 23 and has already had 32 bouts against some pretty good opponents. Maybe he needs a new trainer. Or maybe needs to get back to basics for a while and a few lesser calibre fighters to get his confidence back.

Golden Boy did give him an easy road after the Maidana fight though.They put him in with old men for him to easily beat and get his confidence back and then finally put him back in with a fresh contender after four easy fights in a year and a half.

I thought he definitely deserved the decision over Peterson,but he still looked poor and tentative - especially over the second half of the fight.He seems to be mentally weak more than anything.

I have a lot of sympathy for Adin as the guys won TWO Eliminators already but the WBC keeps jerking him around. If his name was Chavez, then Berto would've been stripped and Adin declared Paper Champ long ago. For me, I'm kind of undecided which fight is better (Berto vs. Adin or Ortiz) but I do think that Adin's more deserving at this point. Let him on the Center Stage, Ortiz has already been there.

Btw, I hear that HBO balked at Berto-Ortiz, or at least they didn't like the Price of the Fight, so if they gave a thumbs down on Ortiz, then you KNOW they won't want to carry a fight with Adin. I get kind of tired of these TV networks kind of being pseudo-promoters!!!

I agree, Dave.

Aydin has earn't his shot at the title. He has done all that was asked of him and the WBC keep "moving the goal posts" (British expression, not sure if you guys use it).

As for HBO and TV companies, i think it's bad for boxing having TV companies dictate to a sport what fights they can have.

The Premiership (top league in English soccer) has the most lucrative TV deal in soccer. It's worth well over a billion dollars.

But, it doesn't affect the teams' fixture lists before the start of the season. The fixtures get sorted, they get sent to all the clubs and then the TV companies decide who shows what.

What makes TV companies think they can call the shots in boxing?

The best bouts to be made are those that trainers and managers think are best for their fighters.

If fans or a TV company think those bouts aren't "good enough" for them (arrogant), they can sod off! Go support another fighter.

That's what i do: I liked Haye, Naseem, Floyd etc... and then i didn't like how they stopped fighting proper challenges and i stopped watching. I don't need a TV company to decide what i like or don't like.

Golden Boy did give him an easy road after the Maidana fight though.They put him in with old men for him to easily beat and get his confidence back and then finally put him back in with a fresh contender after four easy fights in a year and a half.

I thought he definitely deserved the decision over Peterson,but he still looked poor and tentative - especially over the second half of the fight.He seems to be mentally weak more than anything.

I agree, GBP did give him easy fights. So when he fought Peterson, I was excited about it and then proved he was quite one dimensional. I also think he won the fight by a point or two, perhaps, but still.

He's definetely mentally weak. And he has a life outside the ring. He pissed me off when he said "there's more to life than boxing". Boxers are meant to live and breathe their careers until they get that world title.