BTBC Spotlight: WelshDevilRob’s 5 Greatest Boxing Moments

WelshDevilRob

I still cant watch that first round without wanting to scream. I had £500 on McClellan to win in the 1st round, and even watching Rob's clip it shows you 11 seconds passed between that virtually no English speaking Belgian bugger jumping between them and pushing Gerald off as Nigel went out the ring, until he got back in.

My few grand going down the swanny.

And i still cant work out why he kept stopping the action the rest of the round.

I still cant watch that first round without wanting to scream. I had £500 on McClellan to win in the 1st round, and even watching Rob's clip it shows you 11 seconds passed between that virtually no English speaking Belgian bugger jumping between them and pushing Gerald off as Nigel went out the ring, until he got back in.

And i still cant work out why he kept stopping the action the rest of the round.

The ref was very picky and kept getting in the way. Think he was from Belgium and don't recall seeing him in anyother big fight. (Though back then I didn't have Sky, so might have missed him)

Some did wonder if he was a Warren ringer but with Don King involved and supporting McClellan then no chance of that. You know Don wasn't involved by looking at his disgust when McClellan was on his knees and shouting for him to get up.

Rough fight and they gave everything. I remember at one stage the heads clashed - think it was Benn launching himself in to throw a punch. Great fight but a tragedy aswell.

The Hearns vs Duran fight in particular, reminded me that boxing isn't a bad sport today because of the lack of talent, but simply because the talent lacks a desire to be fully tested.

The Hearns, Hagler, Duran, Leonard Merry Go Round brought us some of the best fights in boxing.

Imagine what we could have had today if we replaced those guys with Mayweather, Pacquiao, Cotto, Margarito, Williams and Mosley to name but a few.

If these guys all actually fought each other, and let's face it, the few that HAVE been made have generally been great fights and the biggest of their era, we could have been looking at a golden era of boxing.

Instead, we have guys who are afraid to risk their earning power (and it's the broadcasters fault entirely for allowing people to earn the same money for fighting random no-hopers as they would actually taking a real risk) and sit back making soft defences of the many many titles on offer, all the while each professing to be the best, while the majority lack the balls to actually prove it.

Boxing isn't suffering from a lack of talent. Far from it. It's suffering from a lack of talent being combined inside the same ring, and I miss seeing fighters like the ones you had in your article, who were prepared to face absolutely ANYONE.

If you just fall out there's no time limit. If you're punched out of the ring it's twenty seconds. It's a rule that doesn't get used much though.

Yeah, it doesn't come up that often. I know everybody debated it at the time, but Benn was back in within the 20 seconds by my count, and these people that blame McClellan's condition on that call being wrong are (in my opinion) simply using the tragedy to their advantage to sell their arguement.

The ref was very picky and kept getting in the way. Think he was from Belgium and don't recall seeing him in anyother big fight. (Though back then I didn't have Sky, so might have missed him)

Some did wonder if he was a Warren ringer but with Don King involved and supporting McClellan then no chance of that. You know Don wasn't involved by looking at his disgust when McClellan was on his knees and shouting for him to get up.

Rough fight and they gave everything. I remember at one stage the heads clashed - think it was Benn launching himself in to throw a punch. Great fight but a tragedy aswell.

Irob-

I was thinking that the Ref ended up getting banned for life .from working title fights by the WBC (such was the power of Don King with Jose's bunch) but that he ended up working several WBC title fights as a Judge

The Hearns vs Duran fight in particular, reminded me that boxing isn't a bad sport today because of the lack of talent, but simply because the talent lacks a desire to be fully tested.

The Hearns, Hagler, Duran, Leonard Merry Go Round brought us some of the best fights in boxing.

Imagine what we could have had today if we replaced those guys with Mayweather, Pacquiao, Cotto, Margarito, Williams and Mosley to name but a few.

If these guys all actually fought each other, and let's face it, the few that HAVE been made have generally been great fights and the biggest of their era, we could have been looking at a golden era of boxing.

Instead, we have guys who are afraid to risk their earning power (and it's the broadcasters fault entirely for allowing people to earn the same money for fighting random no-hopers as they would actually taking a real risk) and sit back making soft defences of the many many titles on offer, all the while each professing to be the best, while the majority lack the balls to actually prove it.

Boxing isn't suffering from a lack of talent. Far from it. It's suffering from a lack of talent being combined inside the same ring, and I miss seeing fighters like the ones you had in your article, who were prepared to face absolutely ANYONE.

bravo//

There is a bit of a difference tbh BB. The first 4 were ALL great fighters. Out of the current bunch only 2 of them are. The rest are also rans.

There is a bit of a difference tbh BB. The first 4 were ALL great fighters. Out of the current bunch only 2 of them are. The rest are also rans.

You say that, but considering Cotto has probably beaten more legitimate welterweight contenders than Mayweather and Pacquiao put together, and the sheer size of Williams who can comfortably fight as high as middleweight, who was all the while avoided at 147 lbs, if they actually fought, I wouldn't be so sure on the outcome, and while one guy or another may be favourite, it certainly doesn't count any of the others out when it comes to the crunch.

It would at the very least have given us some big fights to get excited about, instead of bemoaning the fact that the top 2 aren't prepared to fight each other for ANY money, it would seem...