CARL FROCH IS GOING TO KNOCK GLEN JOHNSON OUT

Faulks

'CARL FROCH IS GOING TO KNOCK GLEN JOHNSON OUT,' SAYS EDWIN RODRIGUEZ

The super-middleweight contender talks Aaron Pryor Jnr and sparring with the 'Cobra', to Ben Jacobs

ANOTHER SIDE: Rodriguez says Froch is tough and talteden

A MOVE from one country to another represents a number of changes and challenges, sometimes a new language, different food, different customs. When Edwin Rodriguez moved as a young man from the year-round heat of the Dominican Republic to the chilly New England area of the United States, it represented not only a change in weather but also a change in sport, for the young man was an excellent baseball player. “Everybody played baseball in my family; you have to do it in the Dominican Republic,” Rodriguez explained. “I was really good at it but when I came to the USA it was different, the weather put me off playing the sport so that’s when I found boxing.” The Massachusetts resident went on to compile an excellent amateur career of 84-9. “Being able to compete against the best in the world in the amateurs helped me in turning professional. I think you need that background to have a good pro career, you don’t need too much of it like 300 fights but it definitely helps to have that base.”

Rodriguez’s most recent fight was in November against James McGirt Jnr in which he won via ninth-round stoppage. “I need the rounds so it worked out well,” stated Edwin when I suggest the fight could have been stopped a little earlier as not much was coming back from his opponent. This coming Friday, January 14, Rodriguez will be the chief support on ESPN’s Friday Night Fights series when he takes on Aaron Pryor Jnr. “I’m just tapering down, it’s the last week of sparring, one more on Friday, you know six rounds just to stay sharp,” affirmed the courteous and relaxed 25-year-old as we speak 11 days before his upcoming fight.

Sparring is something which Rodriguez has clearly benefited from. In recent months he has travelled to Australia to spar middleweight Daniel Geale and Miami where he worked with WBC light-heavyweight champion, Jean Pascal. He also came to England where he mixed it with our own WBC super-middleweight champion from Nottingham. “I loved it there, Carl Froch is a great fighter, just being able to experience it there, seeing how the elite work out and train and how serious it is, it was a blessing,” Edwin recalled. “I learnt a lot from being in that training camp with Carl, him as a fighter and as a person as well, I just had an overall great experience. He has a great team; I’m glad I was able to be there and see how they physically and mentally prepare for a big fight such as the Arthur Abraham one.”

I was left with the impression upon speaking to the humble 2006 Golden Gloves champion that he was genuinely taken aback when I reminded him of Froch’s words after their sparring sessions. Froch said he believed the man trained by Peter Manfredo Snr had more natural ability and speed than Abraham and thanked him for getting him ready for his battle with the Armenian. “It was a great feeling hearing that from him, it was genuine, it wasn’t like how people try to hype me up, he honestly felt that way and I appreciate those comments, they meant a lot to me,” Rodriguez beamed.

“I honestly feel he’s going to knock out Glen Johnson. I felt his power and Johnson is there to be hit. After his last fight we’ve seen two dimensions to his game, we’ve seen before that he was a tough man, now he’s proved to everybody that he can box as well.”

Edwin denies that handspeed and power are his key assets. “I consider my will to win and my determination as my key assets, I do feel I have good speed and power though!” he laughed.

“La Bomba” sounds positively excited about the talent-packed division in which he is competing. “168lbs is stacked, I happen to think it’s the best division in boxing, there’s speed and power whereas the heavyweights aren’t quite as fast, we have both attributes,” Rodriguez outlined. “There are a lot of good fighters coming up in this division from the USA and the UK such as James DeGale.”

Fighting on ESPN will give Rodriguez another opportunity to showcase his talent on national television in the United States. “I’m extremely excited, I’m gonna be on television so everybody will be able to see me, it’s another step in the process of becoming a legitimate contender and then a world champion,” he enthused. “I’m also excited about fighting in Florida and enjoying the nice weather afterwards!”

http://www.boxingnewsonline.net/BN08/detail.asp?id=2181

Not a hope this is happening. He had Abraham looking for a way out and couldnt finish him. I actually have sneaky feeling for Johnson. He destroyed Green in fairness, I just cant ignore Carl being outclassed by Kessler and struggling badly with Dirrel. Carl is a legend for his attitude and style but i can just see him coming unstuck for some reason. Hope I'm wrong.

Not a hope this is happening. He had Abraham looking for a way out and couldnt finish him. I actually have sneaky feeling for Johnson. He destroyed Green in fairness, I just cant ignore Carl being outclassed by Kessler and struggling badly with Dirrel. Carl is a legend for his attitude and style but i can just see him coming unstuck for some reason. Hope I'm wrong.

I have the same feeling. As great as Carl was against Abraham, it must be said that when nothing's coming back at you, it's easy to look good. Johnson will pressure Froch, and throw punches, all night long.

The only time GJ was ever stopped was when he was totally green and in over his head with Hopkins way the hell back in mid-90's, and even then it took Hopkins nearly the entire fight. Even at this age, a stoppage of Johnson would be a HUGE feather in Froch's Cap, but we are getting WAY ahead of ourselves, just winning the fight should be the focus. Edwin Rodriguez is a young, talented fighter and he's making his mark, but how many times have we seen this where one of the young upstarts is sparring with a top star and comes away thinking he's just been in with a Monster. He's impressed with Carl Froch, and that's cool, it shows me there's still a difference between Carl and the new kid on the block.....but I really don't think Rodriguez knows what KO'ing Glen Johnson entails.

As Dave says, Glen Johnson got KO'd by Bernard Hopkins in 1997 when Hopkins was still able to KO guys and when Johnson hadn't fought anybody at that time. Since then, Johnson has developed so much he is on a par with Manny Pacquiao in the "Most transformed boxer alive today" category. Johnson makes it hard for any boxer, he always comes to fight, his chin is made of steel.... Neither guy will win by KO IMO but i expect it to be a war. It should be close all the way until late on where i expect Froch to win the last couple of rounds and get a UD win.

I actually fancy Johnson to stop Froch.

I don't WANT to see it, but I think it will happen.

Carl won't get away with jabbing the guy away all night, and will probably have to change his gameplan a few times throughout the fight.

Carl is easy to pull into a war, and he is often desperate to show his bravado.

Johnson is a bigger guy, comfortable at light heavy and moving down for the tournament.

He's probably the hardest puncher left in the tournament.

He may be long in the tooth, but he's still as fit as he ever was, and tough as teak.

It turns into a tear-up and Carl ends up on the losing end of it, in my book.