Warren eyes Pavlik for DeGale

The_budweiser

DeGale could fight former world champion Kelly Pavlik later this year - if promoter Frank Warren gets his way.

DeGale won the British super-middleweight title in his last fight, defeating Paul Smith in the ninth round.

It was just his ninth professional contest, but so good was his performance that Warren declared that he was as talented as any fight he has worked with.

DeGale is likely to defend his belt against George Groves in his next fight.

But Warren is already considering matching him with Pavlik.

The American exited rehab this week after battling a drink problem, and is aiming to return to boxing as soon as possible.

A double world champion, Pavlik's only fight at super-middleweight saw him beaten by Bernard Hopkins on points.

[url]http://www.frankwarren.tv/index.php/news/fwtv-news/latest-news/870-warren-eyes-pavlik-for-degale.html[/url]

While I like the Degale-Groves fight I'd like them to leave it for a while and fight when they're both in and around the top of the division! I'm a big Groves fan having seen him live and have been impressed with him. I was always of the opinion he would beat Degale. But you can't help but be impressed with "chunky's" performances. I don't really like his cockiness, but he is really living up to that gold medal he won!

While I like the Degale-Groves fight I'd like them to leave it for a while and fight when they're both in and around the top of the division! I'm a big Groves fan having seen him live and have been impressed with him. I was always of the opinion he would beat Degale. But you can't help but be impressed with "chunky's" performances. I don't really like his cockiness, but he is really living up to that gold medal he won!

With the state boxing is in we need that fight now, I think.

It needs as many quality fights as possible.

Plus, it's always been about waiting around to hype a fight for many years and this frustrates the fans.

Plus, it's always been about waiting around to hype a fight for many years and this frustrates the fans.

that's the problem nowadays, we miss out on the good fights because promoters would rather 'build' their fighters

why not just throw them in now?

great examples are Groves-DeGale and Gamboa-Lopez, why not put them in now then if it sells and it's a good fight then rematch?

that's what it should be all about, not building them up so much that everyone gets sick and tired of waiting for the fight and loses interest

just put them in on more than one occasion

that's the problem nowadays, we miss out on the good fights because promoters would rather 'build' their fighters

why not just throw them in now?

great examples are Groves-DeGale and Gamboa-Lopez, why not put them in now then if it sells and it's a good fight then rematch?

that's what it should be all about, not building them up so much that everyone gets sick and tired of waiting for the fight and loses interest

just put them in on more than one occasion

Gamboa Lopez is going to be a pension fight at this stage.

Pavlik is too busy with his own problems to be fighting anytime soon.

Yeah, I'm very disappointed with Warren for using a guy who has been out of rehab all of one week and building up talk for his fighter in order to get him Press. Kelly Pavlik shouldn't be in anybodies discussions for anything until he gets his life back together. Warren isn't alone, I was VERY VOCAL in my criticism of Pavlik Manager Cameron Dunkin talking about his being on the May 7th Pac-Mosley Card the day BEFORE Pavlik left Rehab. Shows how little Dunkin cares about his Fighters personally. Warren using himto build up his own fighter isn't much better. Hey, James DeGale is a pretty damn good fighter, you don't need Kelly Pavlik to sell him, Frank.

Pavlik's Manager: DeGale, Warren..Show Us The Money!

"If Warren gives us $3 or 4 million dollars, we'll do it," Dunkin told BoxingScene.com. "This reminds me of when [trainer] Emanuel Steward was in New York, and he was telling me, with [his boxer only having] six fights in, that Andy Lee would knock out Pavlik. And then he [Lee] got knocked out by Brian Vera. You have to give these guys time [to develop]."

Dunkin told BoxingScene that Pavlik will resume his career at 168-pounds. The former champion will never return to the middleweight division. Last week, the 28-year-old resident of Youngstown, Ohio, was released from the Betty Ford Center in Rancho Mirage, Calif., after having been admitted for an alcohol problem on November 4.

"Right now he's about 176-pounds. He did nothing but work out when he was in California at rehab. He looks like a tight end. They sent me over pictures. He looks like a tight end. He's got muscles bulging off of his shoulders. He's a 168-pounder. He'll never go below 168, I don't see it," Dunkin said.

"He's already working out. He's going to [trainer] Jack Loew's [gym] today. He worked out for those two months [in rehab]. Every day he worked out. Now he's been working out at the YMCA for 2 1/2 hour a day and he's been running. Today is his first day back in a boxing gym and then he's going to let me know when he wants go. I'm going to get with Top Rank and see where they have a spot."

http://www.boxingscene.com/?m=show&id=34615

To be fair I think they probably could generate the money to make the fight off Sky Box Office...

I don't think it would be too difficult to make £2m each out of it anyway, given both are relatively high profile fighters.

At the same time, I'm not a fan of PPV in the slightest, and would much rather he fought Groves on regular Sky Sports.

Fact is though, Warren will probably throw together another nonsense "blockbuster" card, with DeGale vs Groves at the helm, and it will be on Box Office anyway.....in which case, why not Pavlik, who I incidentally think beats the sh*t out of DeGale, even after all the troubles.

Correct Brooklyn, there is a lot of interest in the Degale and Groves fight so Frank is always gonna make it a PPV, even at this relative early stage of their careers.

But he would add to the line up all his other Olympians and call it a "blockbuster" event.

I think Chunky beats the ghost at this stage

I think far too much is being bought into DeGale's victory over a middle of the road British champ, just because he didn't have a whole host of mince fights in between.

I'm telling you now, DeGale is far too flashy and far too cocky, and will come crashing back to earth with a bang as soon as he is in with someone half decent who has something about them.

He may move a lot, but his movement isn't great...he moves in straight lines and completely lowers his guard, just to try and pull off some useless flashy punch coming in from the side, that does about as much damage as a pat on the cheek.

I give him his dues for beating Smith, but let's be realistic, he was never that great anyway.

Talking about DeGale beating some of the better fighters in the division is only a pipe dream for him right now.

Warren has no intentions of making fights with these guys, and is simply generating a bit of publicity and having people talking about him in the same breath as the top fighters, when in reality, he has a lot to do domestically and on the European scene before he even gets to the fringe world level guys.

When he gets that far, Ward, Froch, Dirrell, Kessler, Johnson and probably Bika and Abraham too, have far too much in their arsenal for him imo. He's in a relatively decent division, where he still has a lot of developing to do yet.

I think Chunky beats the ghost at this stage

I think far too much is being bought into DeGale's victory over a middle of the road British champ, just because he didn't have a whole host of mince fights in between.

I'm telling you now, DeGale is far too flashy and far too cocky, and will come crashing back to earth with a bang as soon as he is in with someone half decent who has something about them.

He may move a lot, but his movement isn't great...he moves in straight lines and completely lowers his guard, just to try and pull off some useless flashy punch coming in from the side, that does about as much damage as a pat on the cheek.

I give him his dues for beating Smith, but let's be realistic, he was never that great anyway.

Talking about DeGale beating some of the better fighters in the division is only a pipe dream for him right now.

Warren has no intentions of making fights with these guys, and is simply generating a bit of publicity and having people talking about him in the same breath as the top fighters, when in reality, he has a lot to do domestically and on the European scene before he even gets to the fringe world level guys.

When he gets that far, Ward, Froch, Dirrell, Kessler, Johnson and probably Bika and Abraham too, have far too much in their arsenal for him imo. He's in a relatively decent division, where he still has a lot of developing to do yet.

I was more going along the lines of i think Pav may well be finished to be honest. Not him taking on the greatest in the division and winning

Pavlik will beat him, he wasnt right against Hopkins and was competing with Martniez up until he got cut.

I think if they fought this year Pavlik would smash him to pieces. I really like Degale aswell but way to early for him, Pavlik is a massive puncher.